The Who at Woodstock

Discuss Movies, Music, TV, etc here.

The Who at Woodstock

Postby Webb » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:42 pm

This performance was recorded at 6 am on Sunday, August 17, 1969, at the first Woodstock festival.

Pete Townshend said, "I thought the whole of America had gone mad."

Roger Daltrey said it was the worst gig they ever played.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHTdrPL22-Y[/youtube]
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Re: The Who at Woodstock

Postby Fozzer » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:48 pm

The Who....>>>>

...The Best!.... :dance: ...!

Paul..... :mrgreen:
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Webb » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:08 am

No one thought to film this.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDAC3oc-ROQ[/youtube]

Wikipedia

Live at Leeds has been cited as the best live rock recording of all time by The Daily Telegraph, The Independent, the BBC, Q magazine, and Rolling Stone. In 2003, it was ranked number 170 on Rolling Stone??'?s list of the 500 greatest albums of all time. The venue at which it was recorded, the University Refectory, was named a national landmark, commemorated with a blue plaque.

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:09 am

What a fantastic start to my wet, miserable Friday here in England!

It was nice just to listen to the music only, and visualise each of the musicians playing their individual instruments....

...and read the Wikipedia details of the concert!

John Entwhistle's magic on his Bass guitar, Pete Townsend's skill on his Gibson, Roger Daltry's vocals, and the crazy Keith Moon on the drums!

A true delight!

(It may even force the Sun to come out!).... ;) ...!

Paul.... :D ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Shadowcaster » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:51 am

Great music, however I always think of Mr Townsend smashing his guitar. I know he was not the only one but I have never understood the need to do it. :shock:
All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

Spike Milligan
Shadowcaster
Major
Major

Postby Webb » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:11 am

The band was young and hungry and needed an act.

You can't see it in the Woodstock video above but Pete Townshend threw his guitar into the crowd at the end of the performance.

(He didn't really throw into the audience but into a "roadie pit", where it was retrieved and returned him and probably auctioned for a million dollars)

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby G.K. » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:53 am

Nice links, very enjoyable :-)

Saw them in 72 at the Sundowner, Edmonton, London on Boxing day if memory serves. Saw them in 74 at the Empire Pool, Wembley, London.....both times brilliant

Finally saw them in in Brighton a few years ago. The bar was full of old Mods dressed in DM's and Parkers, non of them under 60....believe it or not some of them were still looking for fights, for old times sake I guess....The Who were passed their best at that stage, Moon and Entwistle were irreplaceable, the band a mere shadow of their former selves. Still very enjoyable though.

Quadrophenia is still an all time favouite as is Who's Next.
G.K.
Captain
Captain

Postby Webb » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:27 pm

Who's Next and Quadrophenia are the greatest studio albums ever produced.

If it had been produced a couple of years earlier you could have seen Won't Get Fooled Again and Baba O'Riley (Teenage Wasteland) at Woodstock.

If you were old enough.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby G.K. » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:58 am

........not old enough :-)
G.K.
Captain
Captain

Return to Music, Arts & Entertainment