What's with you Brits and music?

Discuss Movies, Music, TV, etc here.

Re: What's with you Brits and music?

Postby OTTOL » Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:51 am

Ranger have you ever seen Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, or Snatch. They're both Guy Ritchie movies and British. IMO some of the best  material put out in a while. American movies IMO (and I'm American mind you) are like listening to a broken record, it's the same thing over and over. Good guy vs Bad Guy--Bad Guy beats up good guy--Good Guy makes miraculous comeback---followed by cheesy 1/2 hour long fight scene--with a few sex scenes sprinkled on for good measure.
.....so I loaded up the plane and moved to Middle-EEEE..........OIL..that is......
OTTOL
Captain
Captain

Postby Hagar » Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:54 am

Ok, but I never seen any Euro movie that I liked.

Maybe that's because you don't get the chance. It's not easy to persuade the US distributors to show or promote anything other than home-produced stuff.

Please don't confuse Britain with Europe. This is a common mistake with Americans & maybe the reason for the general lack of interest. There are many fine films produced in countries all over Europe but each one has its own distinctive methods & should be treated separately. The British film industry is unique. This is why directors like Spielberg often make their films here & insist on British film crews & technicians.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Loafing Smurf » Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:13 am

[quote]Ranger have you ever seen Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, or Snatch. They're both Guy Ritchie movies and British. IMO some of the best
Last edited by Loafing Smurf on Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Loafing Smurf
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Sat Dec 06, 2003 5:36 am

"Soldier Blue" came out at about the same time as "Clockwork Orange" and thinking of Soldier Blue gives me nightmares even now for it's violence.... :o...!

...now Chevy Chase's "Christmas Lampoon" or "The Money Pit", etc,  films are more my idea of entertainment for a good-old laugh...!

As for Composers...
Henry Purcell, John Dowland, J.S. Bach, Handel and Mozart.. ;D...!
I play their pieces on my instruments... 8)...!

Paul.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hagar » Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:00 am

[quote]Sorry, my mistake. Please accept my apology.
Last edited by Hagar on Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Woodlouse2002 » Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:08 am

[quote]
I dread to think what the proposed
Woodlouse2002 PITA and BAR!!!!!!!!

Our Sovereign Lord the King chargeth and commandeth all persons, being assembled, immediately to disperse themselves, and peaceably to depart to their habitations, or to their lawful business, upon the pains c
Woodlouse2002
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Woodlouse2002 » Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:09 am

Oh yeah, and talking about British movies. What about Monty Python and the Holy Grail? Or the Life of Brian? Or the Meaning of Life?
Woodlouse2002 PITA and BAR!!!!!!!!

Our Sovereign Lord the King chargeth and commandeth all persons, being assembled, immediately to disperse themselves, and peaceably to depart to their habitations, or to their lawful business, upon the pains c
Woodlouse2002
Colonel
Colonel

Postby ATI_7500 » Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:21 am

Please don't confuse Britain with Europe. This is a common mistake with Americans & maybe the reason for the general lack of interest.  The British film industry is unique. This is why directors like Spielberg often make their films here & insist on British film crews & technicians.

>:( >:( >:( >:(
just because britain is an island,it doesn't mean that it's not european...
ATI_7500

Postby Hagar » Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:49 am

>:( >:( >:( >:(
just because britain is an island,it doesn't mean that it's not european...

I'm not saying that Silent. You're missing the point I was trying to make. I was referring to the different film industries. German films are different to French films which are different to British ones. Lumping them all together as "Euro" films is a mistake. There's no such thing as a typical ""European" film. ;)

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby ATI_7500 » Sat Dec 06, 2003 9:12 am

hm,mkay. but you haven't pointed that out so exactly the first time..::)
ATI_7500

Postby Hagar » Sat Dec 06, 2003 9:17 am

hm,mkay. but you haven't pointed that out so exactly the first time..::)

I'm sorry but that was the precise point I was trying to make. I always try very hard to explain things as clearly as possible without confusing anyone. This isn't always so easy on an international forum. I must be slipping in my old age. ??? :D
Last edited by Hagar on Sat Dec 06, 2003 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby WebbPA » Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:55 am

As Rush Limbaugh would say, "I told you so".  We're in Music now.  How we got into movies/cinema I'll never know.

To Will, the staunchest defender of England next to Winston Churchill (and I mean that in a good way), the US is almost but not as bad as the UK in its adoption of classical tunes as secondary national anthems.

The Star Spangled Banner was based on a drinking tune.  So what?  I feel a rush of pride every time I hear it  I also share a sense of national pride when I hear "God Save The Queen" and "Oh, Canada".  I admit my ignorance in not knowing Germany's current national anthem but "Deutschland, Uber Alles", based on Haydn, also moved me.  There is a Protestant hymn based on the same tune.
Last edited by WebbPA on Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
WebbPA
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Politically Incorrect » Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:43 am

Hagar, you amaze me!!
How in the world can you post info on music and then say you don't know much about it?  Do you sit at the computer with a encyclopida? incredible!!
Didn't I see you on Jepordy once?
Politically Incorrect
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:50 am

Fretnstuff. I've been interested in music for as long as I can remember. That must be well over 50 years & among other things I was/am a musician myself.

I don't know much about modern "rock" music & have very little knowledge on classical. I checked my facts on Google before commenting in this thread to prevent making myself appear an idiot. The WWW is my encyclopedia. :D

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Politically Incorrect » Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:15 am

Your knowledge is appreciated!!
I love learning something new everyday!!!!
Politically Incorrect
Major
Major

PreviousNext

Return to Music, Arts & Entertainment