What's with you Brits and music?

Discuss Movies, Music, TV, etc here.

Re: What's with you Brits and music?

Postby Hagar » Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:24 am

I'm always pleased to add my two penn'orth as you might have noticed. I also have very strong opinions on some issues that I'm not afraid to express at any opportunity. Although I would never deliberately offend anyone this can sometimes get me into trouble. ::)

I've led a very interesting life so far & have always been interested in a wide range of subjects. If someone benefits from some of the knowledge I've picked up over the years I'm delighted. I invariably learn more on this forum than I contribute. Doesn't seem a bad deal to me. ;)
Last edited by Hagar on Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby ATI_7500 » Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:36 am

I admit my ignorance in not knowing Germany's current national anthem but "Deutschland, Uber Alles", based on Haydn, also moved me.  There is a Protestant hymn based on the same tune.

erm....this is the first part of the "song of the germans" and it's forbidden since the end of WW2,along with the second part.
however ,the third part became the official national anthem in 1991,after the reunion.

i've got the lyrics of the current hymn here,but i don't have an idea how to translate them...

"Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit
F
ATI_7500

Postby WebbPA » Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:01 pm

I understand all the forbidden Nazi stuff but surely they can play Haydn, Wagner, Beethoven, etc.  If they banned "Nazi music" that would kind of strip away 500 years of musical heritage.  If they banned Italian "Axis music" that would do away with about 90% of western musical heritage.  I'd go nuts if all I could listen to were Britten and Tchaikowski.
WebbPA
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby microlight » Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:51 am

Music has always played an intrinsic part in British films; look at 'Scott of the Antarctic' and the way that Vaughan Williams depicted this environment in the music. 'Curse of the werewolf' from Hammer in the 1950s was among the first films to use atonal effects for weirdness, long before it happened again with 'Alien'. Even John Williams copied the English musical style at the end of Star Wars.

Even noticed that the 'baddies' in Hollywood films have always had English accents? From Colin Clive in 'Frankenstein' through Peter Lorre, George Sanders and Peter Cushing in Star Wars. Must be the accent and the ability to raise one eyebrow.

These days, the only really saleable British film that even gets recognised transatlantically is the ubiquitous upbeat-romantic-comedy type, and even then we (occasionally) have to rely on a Hollywood star wearing a British accent - very well indeed, in Renee Zellweger's case - to sell it over there. Which will be Ewan MacGregor's most recognised roles - Obi-Wan Kenobi (where he's mostly slept through the part so far in episodes 1 and 2) or the UK-based films he's starred in this year?

Having said that, I enjoy a good film, with chocolate covered raisins and a cup of coffee. (And my mobile phone turned off, of course.)

:)
microlight
Major
Major

Postby ATI_7500 » Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:19 am

I understand all the forbidden Nazi stuff but surely they can play Haydn, Wagner, Beethoven, etc.

it was just because of the lyrics - not the music.
ATI_7500

Previous

Return to Music, Arts & Entertainment