Rap Music...

Discuss Movies, Music, TV, etc here.

Re: Rap Music...

Postby zcottovision » Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:20 pm

I'm going to stick my neck on the line here and actually defend rap music!

I can understand why people don't like it, but it's just as valid a form of music as jazz. It takes a lot of practice to hone your skills as a jazz musician, just like it takes a lot of practice to hone your skills as a rapper. Some of the rhythmic nuances going on in rap music are interesting stuff, and a lot more interesting than what goes on in pop music.

It requires a serious effort to be a good rapper. Busta Rhymes is incredible to listen to because he says everything so accurately, but at a speed way greater than anyone else. In a way he can be compared to Charlie Parker.....a virtuoso of his instrument, capable of playing faster, better, and more innovatively than anyone else.

I'm studying music at Uni right now, and so many people here miss out on hearing some great rhythmic things and also hearing out on what these people are saying, just because they haven't really -listened- to rap music. I personally think it's pretty amazing.....!

Someone fetch the fire extinguisher please...:P
zcottovision
Captain
Captain

Postby Paz » Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:54 pm

I'm with you Zcottovision, like I said in my earlier post, there is a lot of Rap music I think is awesome, I listen to it quite a bit, I also listen to Death Metal, Thrash, Goth, Mariachi, Japanese, Greek, Classical, and Tori Amos! I am always hungry for something different, from any corner of the globe. If it catches my attention, I'm there!
Still no linked images allowed around here Paz! Naughty...
Paz
Major
Major

Postby Sock » Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:33 pm

I can understand why people don't like it, but it's just as valid a form of music as jazz. It takes a lot of practice to hone your skills as a jazz musician, just like it takes a lot of practice to hone your skills as a rapper. Some of the rhythmic nuances going on in rap music are interesting stuff, and a lot more interesting than what goes on in pop music.

But Jazz is good!
Last edited by Sock on Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sock
Major
Major

Postby Craig. » Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:31 am

you all know my feelings on rap, first one on that poll to vote for it,:) then suddenly people appeard after days to vote for it:P LOL
i am not so much a fan of busta but it amazes me just how fast and accurate his music is.
i gotta stick with Eminem, 50 Cent and Dr Dre. if you want a really good rap song, try listening to Tupac and Dre's California Love. its got a great tune to it.and some great words to it.
Will Smith is another good "rapper" (if it can be called that)
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby farmerdave » Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:42 am

I really like some rap, but some is just plain stupid.  As for Justin Timberlake,  I hate all his music and his songs are som e the most retarded i ve ever heard.
farmerdave
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby microlight » Sun Oct 12, 2003 5:08 pm

Ozzy beat me to it with the 'rap spelt with a silent 'c''! LOL

My daughter talks about rap songs, as we have an active discussion about how rap is not a song, because a 'song' has a 'tune' that you can sing, and how rap is therefore ranting to a rhythm. Actually, sometimes not even a rhythm, just a beat.

But she says 'oh, you listen to that old-fashioned Schubert stuff.' Hmmm.

OK, that's my two penn'orth.  ;D
microlight
Major
Major

Postby LANDMYN » Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:06 am

RAP music  :-/. hate the stuff! lol

rap music. o i think i hear a fog horn. BBOORRIINNGG
http://www.willspage.me.uk
My forum : http://www.willspage.me.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi
P4 running Windows XP PRO
ATI Radeon 9800 XT