Improving

Discuss Movies, Music, TV, etc here.

Improving

Postby cub3pp » Sat Oct 18, 2003 7:51 pm

Anyone here have any tips for jazz improvisation?
this year i got 2 solos, London Derryair, and a latin arrangment called bossa madira
cub3pp

Re: Improving

Postby cub3pp » Sat Oct 18, 2003 8:03 pm

oh ya, we will be performing in Disney World in Febuary. alot of fun, we get to fly on Delta Conn(beech 1900), to atlanta from Wichita, then Delta (767 wide body) to Orlando.  
cub3pp

Postby Polynomial » Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:27 am

i play the saxophone and this year for the school talent quest i didnt plan anything and improvised for about 3 minutes.  I basically used a basic blues scale G Bflat C Csharp D G (i think but not 100 % sure) and just alternated between all these notes.  Occaisionally i'd go psycho and run up and down the chromatic scale at crazy speed and then slow it down, but make sure u finish on at Bflat to a G! Should work wonders.
Polynomial
Major
Major

Postby cub3pp » Sun Oct 19, 2003 11:26 am

um i know about the Bflat blues scale. i was asking about some rythem ideas

PS, the Bflat blues scale is: C-Eflat-f-Fsharp-G-Bflat-B-C
cub3pp

Postby Polynomial » Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:05 am

well basically when i play its anything goes but a traditional 'bluesy/jazzy' rhythm would have to be a crotchet - quaver triplet. . . . or dotted quaver, semiquaver.  But keep the rhythm nice and free so when you speed up you can basically run up and down scales with the notes being very even and then when you slow down you can start the so called, jumpy rhythm.

You can take the blues scale off any note you want, just have to have the intervals right thats all.  I choose off G because that his how I learnt it and that is what is easiest for me!

Good luck with it!

PolyN
Polynomial
Major
Major

Return to Music, Arts & Entertainment