The man in the apt under me plays RAP-music!

Discuss Movies, Music, TV, etc here.

Re: The man in the apt under me plays RAP-music!

Postby cevans » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:37 pm

Well I don't mind hiphop or rap. But! When I want to listen.

I don't like to hear anyone else's music. In my home especially.

Can't you just get friendly with the guy? Just nod or say hi when you see him. Then you can just drop it in that maybe he can lower the volume a little as you can't sleep? :music-listening:
cevans
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby slickstick64 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:17 pm

I live in a similar jungle, drunkies, junkies, etc, my weapon of choice is Rafi music, Kishore Kumar, loud, and place a speaker on your neighbors wall. Just a suggestion. :violin:
slickstick64
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby rooitou » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:47 am

Oh my goodness yes that is a tricky, annoying problem. One never knows whether the person is actually aware that the music is too loud or simply doesn't care. There is a small chance that the person has a hearing problem, or is simply high on life and otherwise a very pleasant, reasonable person. Here are my suggestions:

1. If there is a body corporate, managing agent or caretaker for the unit, perhaps mention to them and try to stay out of it. They can say that "people" are being inconvenienced, without mentioning your name.

2. Ask people around you if it bothers them too. And if so, write a civilised, polite letter on behalf of all of you and pop it under the offender's door. Or let the biggest guy write the letter :-) Strength in numbers, try not to tackle it solo. And you may make some new friends...

3. Find a cheap set of headphones and leave it in front of their door. Hint, hint and anonymous

4. Start playing your own kind of music loud and point the speakers in their direction as slickstick says. This can go two ways though: the person realises that the music is too loud and turns it down, or simply amps it up even more. Your music will then bother all the other people around you and you become the problem. And so it escalates. This is last resort.

Good luck
rooitou
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Canuck1955 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:44 am

Fight back by introducing him to HAWKWIND!
Canuck1955
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Nighthawk117 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:21 am

could always blast gordon lightfoot :lol:
Nighthawk117
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hawkeye07 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:15 pm

Why is it these days that everyone is paranoid to have a face to face discussion? Afraid of confrontation? Don't make it confrontational. Just go down and knock on his door and explain the situation and ask him to kindly turn down the volume. I am a caretaker for four 18 unit apartment buildings and believe me some people just aren't "apartment dwelling Knowledgeable." They don't have a clue that anything they do affects other tenants. That goes all the way from leaving fingerprints on the glass entry doors to doing a lousy job of parking their cars and talking too loud in the hallways. They just don't get it. But usually once it's mentioned to them they change their behavior.

I would suggest just going down and asking your neighbor to kindly turn it down. If he doesn't then there must be some sort of management to complain to. How about the lease? Is there a clause in it about noise? Your never know, you might even end up making a new friend. That happened to me years ago. My newly moved in next door neighbors had a party which got out of hand and I decided to call the cops because the neighbors were Black and I'm White and I didn't want to deal with a "racial incident." But as things turned out several days later we met and there after became good friends.
You just never know.

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby yancovitch » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:02 am

i used to manage apts too.......and how about a roomba banging around hardwood floors for an hour....and yes there are those defiant ones who make trouble, and don't care a hoot about anyone else....so happy when i quit that job, although most of the people were nice....poor you....i sympathize....and i don't know why people who like loud music don't use earphones.....even wireless ones now and often sound better than speakers.....aside from feeling the sound...boom boom boom....talk to him heart to heart, is the first option me thinks....
yancovitch
Major
Major

Location: born montreal, lived vancouver, now live in burns lake bc.

Postby A Hobbit » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:36 pm

I used to live above a guy that did the same thing and his would go from the break of dawn until 11:00 pm...I worked rotating sifts as a welder and usually 10 hours at a whack...I tried talking to the guy and he told me to "eff the eff off"...After the guy moved in I got little to no sleep and was trying to find a new place when a friend offered me an idea...I am not a fan of RAP music but I have nothing against others listening to it if done politely...So I went around to the secondhand stores and bought every stereo speaker I could find...Rigged them up to my stereo and placed 2 speakers (at least) in every room including the bathroom...I then found some Slim Whitman albums and would play them non stop whenever his music would start...But first I would lay the speakers on their faces on the floor...After about 2 days he called a truce and turned his stereo down to the point where I couldn't hear it anymore...Just a weekend and I had my life back...I would leave the music play when I went into town to shop or whatever...It works...
A Hobbit
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby yancovitch » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:32 am

hahaha.....i don't think.....no.....i know i don't have the balls to do that :mrgreen: whatever mr. green is
yancovitch
Major
Major

Location: born montreal, lived vancouver, now live in burns lake bc.

Postby Fozzer » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:42 am

When we first got married and needed a house to live in...

Tip... >>>

Find a small cottage in the middle of nowhere, in the countryside, where the nearest neighbour is at least 8+ miles away.

We very soon find out that we really don't want/need; "Neighbours".... :twisted: ...!

...I should have listened to me, 70 years ago!... :lol: ...!

Paul.... ;) ... ;) ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby KayBur » Tue May 11, 2021 9:35 am

Fozzer wrote:When we first got married and needed a house to live in...

Tip... >>>

Find a small cottage in the middle of nowhere, in the countryside, where the nearest neighbour is at least 8+ miles away.

We very soon find out that we really don't want/need; "Neighbours".... :twisted: ...!

...I should have listened to me, 70 years ago!... :lol: ...!

Paul.... ;) ... ;) ...!

Depends on how cool the neighbors are. I adore mine - they are not intrusive, not noisy, they will help in a difficult situation. Of course, this is practically science fiction, but such people exist and living next to them is a pleasure.
KayBur
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Music, Arts & Entertainment