Brains of older people

What are you laughing at?

Brains of older people

Postby Tug002 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:53 am

Brains of older people are slow because they know so much. People do not decline mentally with age, it just takes them longer to recall facts because they have more information in their brains, scientists believe.
Much like a computer struggles as the hard drive gets full, so too, do humans take longer to access information when their brains are full.
Researchers say this slowing down process is not the same as cognitive decline. The human brain works slower in old age, said Dr. Michael Ramscar, but only because we have stored more information over time. The brains of older people do not get weak. On the contrary, they simply know more.
Also, older people often go to another room to get something and when they get there, they stand there wondering what they came for. It is NOT a memory problem, it is nature’s way of making older people do more exercise. SO THERE.
Now when I reach for a word or a name, I won’t excuse myself by saying, “I’m having a senior moment”. Now, I’ll say, “My disk is full”!
I have more friends I should send this to, but right now I can’t remember their names so I will post it here on the forum.

Keep smiling
Tug :)
Tug002
Captain
Captain

Re: Brains of older people

Postby Hagar » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:38 pm

Brilliant! :dance:

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby RAFSB » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:59 pm

My disc is 72% full. Is there any chance of getting an external disc. :mrgreen:
RAFSB
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby yancovitch » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:04 pm

hear hear!!....but it seems that i've been reformatted, and i am starting from scratch....better than i ever was :D
yancovitch
Major
Major

Location: born montreal, lived vancouver, now live in burns lake bc.

Postby pilotwin7 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:47 pm

pilotwin7
Major
Major

Postby pilotwin7 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:29 pm

pilotwin7
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:51 am

I now know my Alphabet from A to Z.... :dance: ....., as I desperately search for the first letter of my next word..... :pray: ....!

....just give me time... :( ....!

Folks give up having a conversation with me.... :roll: ....

They tell me their life is too short!... :twisted: ....!

Paul...Where am I?... ;) ... ;) ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby 511Flyer » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:23 am

I've got an external disc that helps with my driving. It's called a "Wife"

:roll:
511Flyer
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Jetranger » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:36 am

NOW I know what my problem is

I stood in the wrong line , got in the line for Chains, instead of Brains, easy to get Confuzed

Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby yancovitch » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:23 pm

those chains kinda do look like a bunch of brains :)
yancovitch
Major
Major

Location: born montreal, lived vancouver, now live in burns lake bc.

Postby Shadowcaster » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:38 am

Now that answers a lot :dance: :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol:

Cheers
Rich
All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

Spike Milligan
Shadowcaster
Major
Major

Postby Major Blackstone » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:24 am

The average person develops only 10 percent of his latent mental ability, however evidence suggests that at any moment up to 16 percent of our brain cells are active. It's not about how much we 'use' the brain - it's about how much we 'develop' it. Using 100% of the 10-15% of our brain we develop is nothing to brag about, but seems to be enough for us to survive. Magnetic resonance imaging shows that most of the human brain is active most of the time (bits here and there, but never the whole thing). In the course of a day, you'll use just about every part of your brain (but not all the brain, only the developed parts and at differing times).

Then there's the diseases like my multiple sclerosis that damages some of the brain's input/output. Some of the areas get physically damaged (scarred from the infections in it fighting our immune system) and are lost forever - mostly nerve related damage - while memory and cognition are less affected as they are mostly hampered by having to work around the damaged areas.

Other diseases like the dementia's are also prevalent on the aging. The exact symptoms experienced by a person with dementia depend on the areas of the brain that are damaged by the disease causing the dementia. With many types of dementia, some of the nerve cells in the brain stop functioning, lose connections with other cells, and die. Damage from malnourishment, vitamin deficiency, hypoxia, etc. thru one's lifetime can also impair the brain's developed areas. There's some science involving re-routing around damaged areas and developing the undeveloped areas, but is still in it's infancy...

So, the difficulty older ones have thinking is usually from the damage life tries us with. It's not cause the brain is so stuffed with knowledge... it's because the bearings are worn, the fuel system is clogged, etc.
We find consultations, we learn tricks with which we deceive ourselves, but the essential thing - the way - we do not find. Listen to the river...
Major Blackstone
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Zaphod » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:58 am

I know this stared off as a light hearted post, but anyone worried about depression, anxiety or are interested in the way the brain works, should read Ruby Wax's book, "Sane new world".
Helped me a lot :dance:
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. But why take the risk?
Windows 10
Intel i7 950 3.06Ghz (8mb Cache)
MSI X58 Pro-E MoBo
MSI GeForce GTX 1050ti oc
Corsair MXS
Zaphod
Captain
Captain

Return to Humour