BA and Virgin Boat Race

What are you laughing at?

BA and Virgin Boat Race

Postby Shadowcaster » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:42 am

Once upon a time BA and Virgin decided to have a boat race on the Thames. Both teams practiced long and hard to reach peak performance. On the big day they were as ready as could be and Virgin won by a length. BA were discouraged and senior management set up a project to investigate the problem. Its conclusion was that the Virgin team had 8 people rowing and one person steering. The BA team had one person rowing and eight people steering. Senior management immediately hired consultants to study team performance. Millions of pounds were spent and several months later they concluded that there were too many people steering and not enough rowing. The following year the team structure was changed to 4 steering managers, 3 senior steering managers and one executive steering manager. A performance/appraisal system was set up to give the rower more incentive to work harder and become a key performer. They concluded he must be given empowerment and enrichment. The next year the big day arrived and Virgin duly won. BA laid off the rower for poor performance, sold off the paddles, cancelled capital investment and halted development of the new boat. Then they gave high performance awards to the consultants and distributed the money saved among senior management.

Cheers
Rich
All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

Spike Milligan
Shadowcaster
Major
Major

Re: BA and Virgin Boat Race

Postby yancovitch » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:00 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
yancovitch
Major
Major

Location: born montreal, lived vancouver, now live in burns lake bc.

Postby A Hobbit » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:13 pm

I used to work for a company just like that. Building crabbers for the Bering Sea. The tallest guy on the yard (6ft 9in) got to stand on his head in holes to weld while the shortest guy (4ft 2in) had to build ladders to use to reach the seams along to bottom of the deck in the holds (crab tanks)...Shear insanity...lol
A Hobbit
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby papituwall » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:43 pm

This just remind me Ross Perot (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_Perot)

He told the G.M. chairman; If you see a snake, just kill it - don't appoint a committee on snakes.

There are several versions but this summarizes the idea.

http://articles.latimes.com/1986-12-02/ ... ross-perot
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Postby Anthindelahunt » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:48 pm

Brilliant. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Best laugh I have had for a while.

Anthin. :shifty:
Anthindelahunt
Major
Major