What's In a Name? The Town Doesn't Care...

What are you laughing at?

What's In a Name? The Town Doesn't Care...

Postby H » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:58 pm

As some of my fellow New Hampshirites are out and about in Happy Corner, we give an amusing smirk about Hell, MI. Surprisingly, some Kentuckians may not give a dam_ because they're in Hell for Certain. They may try to avoid the issue in Zigzag, OR, while Ohioans may try putting some sense in this town-naming foolishness and head to Knockemstiff. Meanwhile, one state south of me there are some who, if not miffed, think it ridiculous; they should know -- after all (as many of us have known right along), they're in Satan's Kingdom.

P.S.:
Happy Corner, NH, is in the north of our state, not far from the border with Quebec.
There is a Satans Kingdom (no apostrophe) in both Connecticut and Vermont.
Like my locale, most of these are unincorporated towns, part of another town's district.

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: What's In a Name? The Town Doesn't Care...

Postby Fozzer » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:52 am

...whilst, on the Pacific West Coast, they are infected with Oregano's between California and Washington State!

Paul.... :lol: ...!

Many of my best Motorcycling Chums live up in the Northeast Atlantic Coast, New England, etc...Maine to North Carolina!

..a familiar area which always feels like Home to me, with its Folks, place names, language, scenery, and weather!

Paul... :D ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby B0ikat » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:47 am

Arkansas has a few good ones; Toad Suck and Possum Grape are two, and I grew up in the Missouri community of Clover Bottom.
B0ikat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Roypcox » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:46 am

In East Texas around Caddo Lake there is a small town named Uncertain, Tx. It use to be named Karnack, Tx but they wanted a more catcher name than Karnack so they fiddled around for a better name for a couple of years and could never come to any conclusion as what to name the town. Some of the town meetings almost came to fist fights because of the uncertainly of what to call the town!!! As a result of all the bickering, you guessed it they named it Uncertain, Tx.!!! Roy
Roypcox
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Apex » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:57 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercourse,_Pennsylvania

Yep, ya gotta be kidding. "Hi Mom, guess where I bought a house?"
Apex
Major
Major

Postby H » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:30 pm

Apex wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercourse,_Pennsylvania
Yep, ya gotta be kidding. "Hi Mom, guess where I bought a house?"
Was this the place? I'd forgotten the place and her name but, according to the announcer, some woman golfer had won the "Intercourse Championship"...

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby H » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:23 am

B0ikat wrote:Arkansas has a few good ones; Toad Suck and Possum Grape are two, and I grew up in the Missouri community of Clover Bottom.
Prior to late 1980 I resided in Blue Springs, NE, but attended Bible Camp well south of you in Doniphan, near the Arkansas border; however, there were board members a ways east of you, in St. Louis.
I expect there's not a few more strange names in AR and MO than you've given.

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby B0ikat » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:39 am

H wrote:
B0ikat wrote:Arkansas has a few good ones; Toad Suck and Possum Grape are two, and I grew up in the Missouri community of Clover Bottom.
Prior to late 1980 I resided in Blue Springs, NE, but attended Bible Camp well south of you in Doniphan, near the Arkansas border; however, there were board members a ways east of you, in St. Louis.
I expect there's not a few more strange names in AR and MO than you've given.

8-)

That's a given! :D

When I have a bit more time I'll have to dig some up.
B0ikat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby jrbirdman » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:58 am

Let’s all just watch the bee’s joyfully pollinate while in Humptulips, Washington. Lol nice town though.
jrbirdman
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Return to Humour