A Springtime Word to the Home Gardeners

What are you laughing at?

A Springtime Word to the Home Gardeners

Postby H » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:17 pm

Although the weather is in a confusing tug, spring is less than a week away and gardeners will soon be a-planting. For those of you making such use of very small tracts of sod, I thought I should give some warning. Be careful with what you plant next to what. Some fruits, vegetables and flowers are not so intrusive and may do OK as neghbors but others are not so benign in the mixing. After all, it's a sad thing to have melon cauliflowers...
melancholy blues are sad enough -- but you surely don't want melancholy greens.

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: A Springtime Word to the Home Gardeners

Postby napamule » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:21 am

You're kidding, right? Spontaneous cross polination is not going to happen just like that. In fact it would be impossible. Also impossible is how little thought you put into your ('hurry up and be first') 'Spring' post. But you can claim you were the first one to WARN us about accidental, or spontaneous, cross polination. It's a good thing you don't have African Bees because you would then might get 'Black Peas'. Cheesh.
Chuck B
Napamule
napamule
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby H » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:50 am

What cross-pollination? This is the Humour section, is it not? Of course I'm kidding. Melon-choly-flowers may not be so funny but it's evidently punishing.
Besides, in reality, having flowers growing amidst the veggies might be pretty but they're closer to being weeds when time to harvest. We kept our vegetables in their own rows -- the corn in its own field -- and the flowers in their own beds or, at least, out of the vegetable garden. It was just much simpler that way.

For heaven's sake... why does it seem I made any claim about being the first to warn anyone about cross-pollination? That is now for you to claim.

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Hawkeye07 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:12 pm

napamule wrote:You're kidding, right? Spontaneous cross polination is not going to happen just like that. In fact it would be impossible. Also impossible is how little thought you put into your ('hurry up and be first') 'Spring' post. But you can claim you were the first one to WARN us about accidental, or spontaneous, cross polination. It's a good thing you don't have African Bees because you would then might get 'Black Peas'. Cheesh.
Chuck B
Napamule

Wow! I'm glad you warned me about those African Bees. I certainly don't want any Zulu Zucchini or Hutu Horseradish in my garden. :lol:

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby napamule » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:23 pm

Of course I was kidding (humour forum-dah). But I got you with those African Bees. Ha! Zulu Zuchinni - good one!
Chuck B
Napamule
napamule
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hawkeye07 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:57 pm

napamule wrote:Of course I was kidding (humour forum-dah). But I got you with those African Bees. Ha! Zulu Zuchinni - good one!
Chuck B
Napamule

:lol: :lol: :lol:

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby H » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:57 am

Hawkeye07 wrote:
napamule wrote:Of course I was kidding (humour forum-dah). But I got you with those African Bees. Ha! Zulu Zuchinni - good one!
Chuck B
Napamule
Sorry, I had to check to make sure. After all, I saw the movie -- also made at your end of the country (never know what to believe in that livery)! Yep, killer bees are real and were originated from Africa and found their way to the southwestern U.S. through Mexico. I've never studied much about them and bees and I usually try to avoid one another; I put my hand up and block its flight and it will usually fly off in another direction. I think bumble bees are too busy defying gravity with their aerodynamically incapable body to be overly aggressive. However, wasps and hornets are a bit more edgy, especially if their nests aren't far off. When I was about eight I got stung in the palm when I queried a small hole in the back lawn by our house. In a summer at Dad's camp in Maine, one kissed my lower lip with its butt as I climbed a ladder to affix an outside radio antenna; unfortunately for it and its colony, we had a large can of spray insecticide inside; the painful swelling lip angered me the more and I made a swift, but heavy, attack -- spraying out to the ladder and continuing with the running, backwards retreat. They didn't die immediately but the cabin, though not quite airtight, kept them out as they swarmed around it.
It seems, and I'm not complaining for this part, that these African hybrids may not like our New England climate but the threat of African bees in America is valid. So, to add to all your other problems -- earthquakes (they told us in the news it was because of your own faults), etc. -- your concern may be quite justified in your west to midwest US areas. Neither would I like these bees infesting my garden with killer plants... oh, my, you had a movie or so made out there about that, didn't you? Again I'm not complaining for our sake but you seem to have all sorts of mutations out there that we're just not familiar with. Anyway, once more, sorry for doubting your concern and my distrust in the land of Hollywood.

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:32 am

H wrote:
Hawkeye07 wrote:
Chuck B
Napamule
Sorry, I had to check to make sure. After all, I saw the movie -- also made at your end of the country (never know what to believe in that livery)! Yep, killer bees are real and were originated from Africa and found their way to the southwestern U.S. through Mexico. I've never studied much about them and bees and I usually try to avoid one another; I put my hand up and block its flight and it will usually fly off in another direction. I think bumble bees are too busy defying gravity with their aerodynamically incapable body to be overly aggressive. However, wasps and hornets are a bit more edgy, especially if their nests aren't far off. When I was about eight I got stung in the palm when I queried a small hole in the back lawn by our house. In a summer at Dad's camp in Maine, one kissed my lower lip with its butt as I climbed a ladder to affix an outside radio antenna; unfortunately for it and its colony, we had a large can of spray insecticide inside; the painful swelling lip angered me the more and I made a swift, but heavy, attack -- spraying out to the ladder and continuing with the running, backwards retreat. They didn't die immediately but the cabin, though not quite airtight, kept them out as they swarmed around it.
It seems, and I'm not complaining for this part, that these African hybrids may not like our New England climate but the threat of African bees in America is valid. So, to add to all your other problems -- earthquakes (they told us in the news it was because of your own faults), etc. -- your concern may be quite justified in your west to midwest US areas. Neither would I like these bees infesting my garden with killer plants... oh, my, you had a movie or so made out there about that, didn't you? Again I'm not complaining for our sake but you seem to have all sorts of mutations out there that we're just not familiar with. Anyway, once more, sorry for doubting your concern and my distrust in the land of Hollywood.

8-)

Its mostly far too cold in New England for most of the year, so very few nasty's can survive there!.... ;) ....!

...leaving the Southern Californians "quaking" in their boots!.... :lol: ...!

At the moment, deep snow and ice in; "Old England" are killing off our nasty's in preparation for the Early Spring Flora!

Paul...snowbound in deep snowdrifts!.... :o ....!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43445768
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby napamule » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:23 am

I grew up in Texas and we had wasps. Mean suckers. We did not spray. We lit up newspaper torch and the smoke stunned them enough that they did not fly at you. Then we burned their nest. Took 1 minute and it was over. But one time when I was climbing the ladder to get them one got me - in the eye lid. He was as trying to blind me! I moved to CA in 1968 (no more wasps). There was one African Bee attack on a poor fellow at my Texas home town a few years ago. The guy died. 100's of stings! I don't know what movie you are refering to. Do not remember it - sorry.
Chuck B
Napamule
napamule
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:30 am

napamule wrote:I grew up in Texas and we had wasps. Mean suckers. We did not spray. We lit up newspaper torch and the smoke stunned them enough that they did not fly at you. Then we burned their nest. Took 1 minute and it was over. But one time when I was climbing the ladder to get them one got me - in the eye lid. He was as trying to blind me! I moved to CA in 1968 (no more wasps). There was one African Bee attack on a poor fellow at my Texas home town a few years ago. The guy died. 100's of stings! I don't know what movie you are refering to. Do not remember it - sorry.
Chuck B
Napamule

Be very afraid of what is growing in your garden....

...they may be TRIFFIDS!...>>>

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055894/

Paul.... :o .... :o .... :o .....!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby H » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:10 am

napamule wrote:...I don't know what movie you are referring to. Do not remember it - sorry.
Saw it a long while ago -- forgot all about it until you buzzed in with the bees. The made for TV film was The Swarm.

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to Humour