If You Find Your Way Back, You Weren't Lost

What are you laughing at?

If You Find Your Way Back, You Weren't Lost

Postby H » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:41 pm

We seem lax on here lately so...

While painting his portrait in 1819, artist Chester Harding asked Daniel Boone if he had ever been lost in the wilderness.
“No, I was never lost,” Boone said, ”but I was bewildered once for three days.”

I can somewhat relate to Boone's plight -- but for less than an hour; three days... good heavens!
:roll:

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: If You Find Your Way Back, You Weren't Lost

Postby Fozzer » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:03 pm

H wrote:We seem lax on here lately so...

While painting his portrait in 1819, artist Chester Harding asked Daniel Boone if he had ever been lost in the wilderness.
“No, I was never lost,” Boone said, ”but I was bewildered once for three days.”

I can somewhat relate to Boone's plight -- but for less than an hour; three days... good heavens!
:roll:

8-)

@H...

....As your age becomes increasingly extended, the period of your bewilderment will also become extended...

...to the point that the wallpaper pattern in the Old Folks Home will be confusingly different to the wallpaper pattern in the bedroom in your old home.

....and you will finally be lost!

Trust me.

Paul.... ;) ... ;) ....!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby H » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:20 am

Fozzer wrote:....As your age becomes increasingly extended, the period of your bewilderment will also become extended...
...to the point that the wallpaper pattern in the Old Folks Home will be confusingly different to the wallpaper pattern in the bedroom in your old home.
Trust me.
The closest I've come to that is due to the effects of industrial chemicals from when I was a foreman in the finishing room; the respirator protected my mouth and nose but i couldn't wear goggles or the finish of the 100-year-gauranteed furniture would have been jeopardized within seconds. Not only did I eventually have a morning I couldn't raise my head from the bed without getting faint but, later, began glitching on words. One of the words I first forgot for immediate use was 'and' which, after a moment's hesitation, I substituted with 'so'. For many, many mornings after that I woke up repeating, "And, a-n-d, and." I still glitch on words -- I know they're in there somewhere but they're lost for the moment. I'm no great genius but it's somewhat embarrassing for someone who maxed the timed test for a 10th-grade entry level in word knowledge in the 5th-grade.
My reaction to Boone's wilderness bewilderment was in relation to my traverse in unfamiliar forest; however, since the sun indicated which direction I was going, I had a great advantage over Boone -- within a few miles I'd find a road or home. Wallpaper? I haven't seen that since those forest excursions (my bedroom was so adorned in our 1800's-built farmhouse}; neither have I seen it in the few nursing homes I've been in -- paneled or painted walls are better kept clean and sanitized.
Finally, my bewilderment is limited immediately around me -- most of my extended bewilderment is in the news of the world, so it may be best not to venture too far at any time. Nevertheless, another frontiersman, when asked how he lost horse, told a story about riding up a mountain covered by a petrified forest -- in fact, he said, "everything was petrified." Finally making the clefted peak, he emerged from the petrified trees too fast to stop his horse from trotting beyond the cliff. To his amazement, the air in the cleft was petrified, too, and his horse continued to the other side.
"Well," he was again asked, "how did you lose your horse?"
He told them that when he got back that his horse wanted to impress the local fillies. "You see that cliff over there? You should have seen the look on his face when he found out the air wasn't petrified."
I think, Foz, rather than an old age nursing home, perhaps I'll pitch a tent next to a cliff so that, as you say, when I'm completely lost, my final step will find it. I wonder if I'll be petrified on the way down?

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:06 am

H wrote:
Fozzer wrote:....As your age becomes increasingly extended, the period of your bewilderment will also become extended...
Trust me.

I think, Foz, rather than an old age nursing home, perhaps I'll pitch a tent next to a cliff so that, as you say, when I'm completely lost, my final step will find it. I wonder if I'll be petrified on the way down?[/color]

8-)

.... :lol: ... :lol: ...!

When I reread my post, this sprang to my mind, so I looked it up...>>>

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/usage ... than-or-to

It's a funny old language!....Lots of variations!

Paul.... :D ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Humour