Disraeli Gears

What are you laughing at?

Disraeli Gears

Postby Apex » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:02 am

November 2, 1967. Cream's second album, Disraeli Gears, is released. Only 33 minutes long, it put them on the rock map forever. A great bunch of tunes, written by various writers*, and recorded by Eric Clapton, Jack Bruce, and Ginger Baker in May 1967 at the end of their first US tour. The cover art work by the late Martin Sharp is truly psychedelic and spectacular.

http://martinsharpcovers.blogspot.com/

The story of the album name goes that a Cream roadie, while discussing bicycle matters with drummer Ginger Baker, said "Disraeli Gears" when he meant derailleur gears. Baker got a charge out of the mispronunciation, and the upcoming album was dubbed 'Disraeli Gears'.

Jack Bruce passed away on October 5th, 2014.

Cream disbanded in November 1968, with rivalry within the group being one reason. The reality, however, from a musician's view, is that Cream had run the gamut of their composing, recording, and concertizing capabilities. Those factors, plus Eric Clapton wanting to go solo, added up to the group's dissolution.

They gave us 4 great albums, Fresh Cream, Disraeli Gears, Wheels of Fire, and Goodbye Cream. Those albums are truly immortal.

* Eric Clapton, Jack Bruce, Ginger Baker, Felix Pappalardi, Gail Collins, Pete Brown, Martin Sharp, and Arthur Reynolds ('Outside Woman Blues', an old blues tune)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cream_(band)#Goodbye_and_break-up:_1968.E2.80.9369
Apex
Major
Major

Re: Disraeli Gears

Postby papituwall » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:05 am

I had never been able to translate "Disraeli gears" into spanish.

As spanish fan of Cream in my youth and today I thank you for this information. My english idiom knowledge level has been re-established. At that time I was 16 y.o.

I can add L'Angelo misterioso (George Harrison) in "Badge" (Goodbye album) recording as contributor.

Regards,
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Return to Humour