Left Behind: the Black Humor of Fate

What are you laughing at?

Left Behind: the Black Humor of Fate

Postby H » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:19 am

His country was at war and young Will told his classmates, "No way I'm being left behind!" He immediately quit his last year of high school and signed up.
Newly assigned to an infantry unit on its first charge at the enemy, he hadn't properly secured his helmet and it fell off in his rush. He made a quick turn about to retrieve it but, as he bent over to pick it up, a mortar exploded to his rear, badly damaging his right leg and blowing off his right flank.
Sometimes, no matter how determined you are, fate mocks you...
not only had the enemy gunners been ordered to, "Fire at will!" but, now, Will was with the left behind.

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Left Behind: the Black Humor of Fate

Postby H » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:08 am

I forgot to add the last line:
...never face the enemy with your butt and feel fortunate if you're not named 'Will' in a battlefront.

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Sprocket » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:38 am

H wrote:His country was at war and young Will told his classmates, "No way I'm being left behind!" He immediately quit his last year of high school and signed up.
Newly assigned to an infantry unit on its first charge at the enemy, he hadn't properly secured his helmet and it fell off in his rush. He made a quick turn about to retrieve it but, as he bent over to pick it up, a mortar exploded to his rear, badly damaging his right leg and blowing off his right flank.
Sometimes, no matter how determined you are, fate mocks you...
not only had the enemy gunners been ordered to, "Fire at will!" but, now, Will was with the left behind.

8-)

Not quite humour, but it reminds me of Billy and Sue...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFP2026WEoI
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFP2026WEoI[/youtube]
Sprocket
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby H » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:46 am

Sprocket wrote:Not quite humour...
Not quite humor, as in Monty Python's knight at the bridge and lines to Johnny Comes Marching Home -- only seemingly contrasted with movies like Glory and so many, many, many more?
The 'black humor' of this post was, of course, in the pun of the name Will and the 'left behind' -- rather like the old 'joke' about the fellow in the wheel chair whose case was thrown out of court because he didn't have a leg to stand on.
Strange how mingled our perspectives in deciphering how dark the shades of gray against all the anomalies and trials of life...
some of which can be avoided by alternate choices, some of which cannot.

H
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to Humour