Strange U.S. State Laws/Regulations

What are you laughing at?

Strange U.S. State Laws/Regulations

Postby H » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:36 pm

Three strikes and you're out! It's illegal in Kentucky for a woman to marry the same man four times...

and be careful what you say about your mother-in-law in Wichita, Kansas: the mistreatment of mothers-in-law can be used as grounds for divorce -- hmn, then, again...

Repealed in most states long ago, it is currently illegal to work or dance on Sundays in South Carolina. Don't work too hard trying to get on those under-sized dancing shoes or you'll be double-ticketed!

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Strange U.S. State Laws/Regulations

Postby H » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:16 am

Thought I should add more info about Kansas, especially if Fozzer should ever get lost in his U.S.-oriented flights:
A scientific study compared the topography of Kansas against the flatness of a pancake. On a scale of perfect flatness, Kansas scored 0.9997 while the pancake only scored 0.957. If you're knocked down in Kansas, you'll be laying flatter than a pancake...

As to lawmaking, here's something else of note:
The lack of definition, perhaps by lawmakers' fear of self-incrimination, can make a law ineffective (although such law passage, in itself, may be incriminating). New Mexico state law does not define 'idiot' but states that 'idiots' cannot vote.

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:52 am

H wrote:Thought I should add more info about Kansas, especially if Fozzer should ever get lost in his U.S.-oriented flights:
A scientific study compared the topography of Kansas against the flatness of a pancake. On a scale of perfect flatness, Kansas scored 0.9997 while the pancake only scored 0.957. If you're knocked down in Kansas, you'll be laying flatter than a pancake...

As to lawmaking, here's something else of note:
The lack of definition, perhaps by lawmakers' fear of self-incrimination, can make a law ineffective (although such law passage, in itself, may be incriminating). New Mexico state law does not define 'idiot' but states that 'idiots' cannot vote.

8-)

In suspect that I'm the only idiot in New Mexico who consistently fails to spell Albuquerque correctly?.... :roll: ...!

...and I'm desperately trying to think of something nice/interesting to say about Nebraska, (does anyone actually live there?).

Paul...Alber-Kirkey... :think: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Herc-Canute » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:11 am

The flatness of Kansas means there are no mountains to block the view, of course there are the flint hills which i have flown over in my trips flying in Kansas

The really flat areas are around Dodge City, Hilly areas are Manhattan, Salina and Lawrence.

the other thing about living in Kansas is dealing with the weather, if you can deal with severe thunderstorms and tornadoes in the spring and 100 degree heat in the summer. :)
From the Air Capital of the World, Wichita,Kansas
Herc-Canute
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby H » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:25 pm

Fozzer wrote:In suspect that I'm the only idiot in New Mexico who consistently fails to spell Albuquerque... Alber-Kirkey... correctly?
The original spelling, with that pronunciation, was Alburquerque; now spelled Albuquerque, it is pronounced Alba-Kurkey.

Fozzer wrote:...and I'm desperately trying to think of something nice/interesting to say about Nebraska, (does anyone actually live there?).
Herc-Canute wrote:...the other thing about living in Kansas is dealing with the weather, if you can deal with severe thunderstorms and tornadoes in the spring and 100 degree heat in the summer.
When I lived one state north of you (originally, courtesy of the USAF), that is, in Nebraska, I remember a winter windchill of -60°F. While in Hastings we had spotters head out during thunderstorms to radio in tornado sightings so our base units could call in warnings. One summer in Blue Springs, when the power went out for a major part of the day, with a 114°F reading in the shade, my carton of milk turned to small curd cottage cheese -- or, maybe more like 'farmer's cheese'.
If Foz flies over a proper scenery Nebraska, he should see that most roads are straight north-south and east-west, about one mile apart. Not so obvious is that many are clay-based unpaved roads that are much like cracked pavement in the hot sunshine -- but turn into a slimy glue during heavy rain; if one walks upon it, they get taller with each step.
Was that interesting enough, Foz?

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:42 pm

H wrote:[..... Not so obvious is that many are clay-based unpaved roads that are much like cracked pavement in the hot sunshine -- but turn into a slimy glue during heavy rain; if one walks upon it, they get taller with each step.
Was that interesting enough, Foz?[/color]

8-)

I must spend more time walking in Nebraska.... :think: ....

...I am only 5-feet 7-inches tall in my stockinged feet. (on a good day).

And most Nebraskans prefer to stretch East-West, to North-South.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebraska

Paul.... :D ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Humour