For Your Own Safety, Pronounce Correctly

What are you laughing at?

For Your Own Safety, Pronounce Correctly

Postby H » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:52 pm

You must pronounce 'Arkansas' correctly. The only acceptable pronunciation according to Arkansas state code is "three (3) syllables, with the final 's' silent, the 'a' in each syllable with the Italian sound and the accent on the first and last syllables." So be aware if in Arkansas and keep your Arkan-sasses silent for your own safety...

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: For Your Own Safety, Pronounce Correctly

Postby Fozzer » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:42 pm

Arkansas.

Ar-Kan-Saw.... :D ...!

Took me ages how to find out how to pronounce Arkansas!

Before that, it was Kansas...with an "Ar" in front!

Similar to San Jose...San Ho-Say....

..no "J's" in Mexico...but lots of "H's"!... :lol: ...!

...and don't get me going on the correct pronunciation of; "Saint Louis".... ;) ...!

Paul...Fun with names!.... :mrgreen: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hagar » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:16 pm

I've always believed the correct pronunciation of place names is the way the locals pronounce them.

Here's a few examples of towns not far from me in Southern England.

Ardingly in Sussex is pronounced Arding-lie.

Oving near Goodwood is pronounced Ooving.

Leigh just over the border in Surrey is pronounced Lie.

And so on. :lol:
Last edited by Hagar on Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Jetranger » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:23 pm

Errrkkkk an SAWZ' !!!!!!!!

I No Howz' to Pre'nounze it,, hell I'm originally from Kanzaz' ~ !!!! sure am' :lol: :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpL0Q2OSRwQ[/youtube]
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:33 pm

I have have Leominster locally..."Lemster" or "Lempster".

My American Chums will recognise our place names in their own country...>>>

Worcester..."Wooster".

Gloucester..."Gloster".

Cheltenham..."Cheltnam".

...not forgetting London..."Lunden" or "Lundan" (The place I was born as a Cockney!)... :dance: ...!

Paul.... :mrgreen: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby H » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:38 pm

Hagar wrote:I've always believed the correct pronunciation of place names is the way the locals pronounce them.
Here's a few examples of towns not far from me in Southern England.
Oops... count me guilty... if you hadn't told me, I honestly wouldn't have known.
Hagar wrote:Ardingly in Sussex is pronounced Arding-lie.
If I fullie understand, this surelie puts a new twist to pronounced modern English.
Hagar wrote:Oving near Goodwood is pronounced Ooving.
So, in Ireland I'd be a rover, in England, a roover?
Hagar wrote:Leigh just over the border in Surrey is pronounced Lie.
Are we telling the truth here... would it make a difference if you moved the border?

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby 511Flyer » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:31 am

Not forgetting Weobley Paul, and Eardisland, to name but two.

:roll:
511Flyer
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby H » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:54 am

511Flyer wrote:Not forgetting Weobley Paul, and Eardisland, to name but two.
OK, that's not fair... I give up... please provide proper pronunciation.
:?:

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby boromir125 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:54 am

That pronunciation only works if you're talking about the state. There is also a river, in Kansas I believe that is spelled the same way as the state, but is pronounced "Ar-kansas" river. To be fair, there are any number of places that have the same spelling/pronunciation issues; the one that comes to my mind is in Maine (I lived there a lifetime ago). Up north, or is it Downeast, there is a town spelled Calais, which the French would pronounce as "Cal-ay", but Mainers, being Mainers call it "Cal-is" looking down on anyone who would say it differently. And lastly, also in Maine is St. Agatha...Post office, general store and gas station and year round population of about 4. To us mere mortals, that is St. Agatha, but to those living there, it is St. "Agat".

"A rose by any other name would smell just as sweet".
boromir125
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hawkeye07 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:52 am

boromir125 wrote:That pronunciation only works if you're talking about the state. There is also a river, in Kansas I believe that is spelled the same way as the state, but is pronounced "Ar-kansas" river. To be fair, there are any number of places that have the same spelling/pronunciation issues; the one that comes to my mind is in Maine (I lived there a lifetime ago). Up north, or is it Downeast, there is a town spelled Calais, which the French would pronounce as "Cal-ay", but Mainers, being Mainers call it "Cal-is" looking down on anyone who would say it differently. And lastly, also in Maine is St. Agatha...Post office, general store and gas station and year round population of about 4. To us mere mortals, that is St. Agatha, but to those living there, it is St. "Agat".

"A rose by any other name would smell just as sweet".

Speaking of Maine... What about Bangor? Locally pronounced as Ban-gah. I have family just north of there in Lincoln and I was stationed at NAS Brunswick for a year.
And here in Minnesota there are a few that caught me unawares. Any good Italian, such as yours truly, would recognize this word as "Milan" (Mill-on) but here in Minnesota it's pronounced My-lan. Michigan has one too and it's pronounced My-lan also. Albert Lea, Minnesota is pronounced Albert LEE.
I had a co-worker who was from the great state of Missouri but anybody with half a brain knows it's pronounced Missur-ah. :doh: :lol:

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:09 am

Hawkeye07 wrote:Speaking of Maine... What about Bangor? Locally pronounced as Ban-gah. I have family just north of there in Lincoln and I was stationed at NAS Brunswick for a year.
And here in Minnesota there are a few that caught me unawares. Any good Italian, such as yours truly, would recognize this word as "Milan" (Mill-on) but here in Minnesota it's pronounced My-lan. Michigan has one too and it's pronounced My-lan also. Albert Lea, Minnesota is pronounced Albert LEE.
I had a co-worker who was from the great state of Missouri but anybody with half a brain knows it's pronounced Missur-ah. :doh: :lol:

Now, you've let the cat out of the bag, Hawk!.... :o ....!

So...not all you lot up in New England are all British!

(So many British Place-names...Bangor [Bangah]....Lincoln [Lincan]...!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_England

...some of you are Italian, as well!.... ;) ... ;) ...!

.... :lol: ... :lol: ...!

I love knowing my USA Chums Forebears!!... :dance: ...!

...any more here?.... :D ...!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demograph ... County.svg

..the German invasion!.... :o .... :lol: ....!

Paul... :mrgreen: ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby 511Flyer » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:23 am

Answer to earlier post. Weobley = Webbly and Eardisland = Erdsland.

Capital of Texas is Awstun!

UK and USA are said to be two nations divided by a common language.

Fanny bags? Don't even go there!

:roll:
511Flyer
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:05 am

Hawkeye07 wrote:Albert Lea, Minnesota is pronounced Albert LEE.

Seems logical to me. How else would you pronounce it? :think:

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:32 am

During my frequent explorations of parts of California over the many years...

..it took me a Month of Sunday's ... :think: ....

...and some more... :o ...

To find out the correct pronunciation of the San Joaquin Valley in Central California!...>>>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Joaquin_Valley

I called it San Joah-kwin for many years...Until I realised that the Mexican residents don't have a "J-sound" in their language!

Its actually pronounced: San Wha-keen!.... :shock: ....Go figure that out!!

Funny Folks...the Mexies!....I have great difficulty in finding my way around places either side of the Mexican Border.... ;) ...!

Paul.... :lol: ... :lol: ... :lol: ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby H » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:31 am

boromir125 wrote:To be fair, there are any number of places that have the same spelling/pronunciation issues; the one that comes to my mind is in Maine (I lived there a lifetime ago). Up north, or is it Downeast, there is a town spelled Calais, which the French would pronounce as "Cal-ay", but Mainers, being Mainers, call it "Cal-is" looking down on anyone who would say it differently. And lastly, also in Maine is St. Agatha...Post office, general store and gas station and year round population of about 4. To us mere mortals, that is St. Agatha, but to those living there, it is St. "Agat".
Originally from a French-fried place in NH, I still pronounce it Kallay and, since Ive never (to my knowledge) been there, I don't consider Agatha a gem.

Hawkeye07 wrote:Speaking of Maine... What about Bangor? Locally pronounced as Ban-gah. I have family just north of there in Lincoln and I was stationed at NAS Brunswick for a year.
That's not an exact observation. The paternal side of my Mom's family are Maniacs (her maternal side is Canadian which I've concluded may actually be the more maniacal). If you mention to them that they don't pronounce the "r" in a word ending with 'ar' or 'or' you may get a rebuff; my Connecticut cousin and friends laughed about how I extended my final "r" (particularly with the word 'car'); however, with the same words, Nebraskans made note of how I wasn't pronouncing a final "r", to which, I informed them that I most certainly was.

511Flyer wrote:Answer to earlier post. Weobley = Webbly and Eardisland = Erdsland.
Thank you. If it had been spelled Woebley, I may have considered it such as an Old English pronunciation; for the same reason, E(a)rd(i)sland isn't a surprise, either, although I have a harder time ignoring the"i".

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Next

Return to Humour