Some Revelations

What are you laughing at?

Some Revelations

Postby H » Wed May 24, 2017 8:37 am

Among the msn.com presentations this morning was 'facts' you learned in school that have since been proven wrong
(however, some of the explanations are errant, as well)

Isaac Newton discovered gravity -- This may be the source of fairy, dragon myths, etc . -- until Newton, everybody and everything was floating all over the place.

Pluto is no longer a planet -- they were quick to announce here that new criteria had made Pluto and Eris 'dwarf' planets but planets, nevertheless. We can bolster this by the fact that short-statured humankind -- whether designated pygmy, midget, dwarf or elsewise -- are still people, nevertheless.

Raindrops are tear-shaped -- The revelation here is that they start out as 'hamburger buns' and are only tear-shaped when they first split in two, whereupon they again reshape to hamburger buns. So, the next time your scheduled burger barbecue is threatened by rain, don't postpone the cookout; forego buying all those buns and wait for the rain to fall.

Don't start with "and" or "but" -- The writer pointed out that different literary sources use different rules. You may notice that, unless part of an interjected clause, I usually don't prefix conjunctions like 'and' or 'but' with a comma because a high school English teacher considered it redundant (it also reflects my vocal stops in my speech). Besides, it's not only politicians that I've encountered beginning sentences from a butt...

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Some Revelations

Postby Sinkrate » Wed May 24, 2017 9:19 am

Don't start with "and" or "but" -- The writer pointed out that different literary sources use different rules. You may notice that, unless part of an interjected clause, I usually don't prefix conjunctions like 'and' or 'but' with a comma because a high school English teacher considered it redundant (it also reflects my vocal stops in my speech). Besides, it's not only politicians that I've encountered beginning sentences from a butt...

I too was castigated at school (edge of a rule over the knuckles) for starting a sentence with "And" but also forced to sing "Jerusalem" in school assembly!!! :think:
I asked my English teacher if she would whack William Blake over the knuckles if he was in her class. Guess what? Yep, another whack with the rule!!! :(
Sinkrate
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Hawkeye07 » Wed May 24, 2017 9:41 am

Sinkrate wrote:

I too was castigated at school (edge of a rule over the knuckles) for starting a sentence with "And" but also forced to sing "Jerusalem" in school assembly!!! :think:
I asked my English teacher if she would whack William Blake over the knuckles if he was in her class. Guess what? Yep, another whack with the rule!!! :(

Aw yes, the old ruler on the knuckles trick. I'm 67 years old and my wife still comments on the quality of my handwriting. I explained that it was all due to the nuns in my elementary school beating my knuckles into submission. :lol: :lol:

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Wed May 24, 2017 10:33 am

As an Electrical Engineer before my retirement in 1984, I always fancied being an Maintenance Electrician in a Nunnery (Convent).

..... :dance: ....!

Paul.... :lol: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hawkeye07 » Wed May 24, 2017 10:53 am

Fozzer wrote:As an Electrical Engineer before my retirement in 1984, I always fancied being an Maintenance Electrician in a Nunnery (Convent).

I'll bet the Ladies would have gotten a charge out of that! :lol: :lol:

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby Sinkrate » Wed May 24, 2017 11:23 am

When I was an apprentice in the 70s, Engineers were getting a bad press about their standard of English. As a result, we was given speshul inglish tewishon to learn us how to speek proper like, and do speling and gramer and all that poncey stuff wot clever kids could do. It produced a superior class of Engineer, don’t you think so, eh, what? What? :lol:
Sinkrate
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Wed May 24, 2017 12:26 pm

Hawkeye07 wrote:
Fozzer wrote:As an Electrical Engineer before my retirement in 1984, I always fancied being an Maintenance Electrician in a Nunnery (Convent).

I'll bet the Ladies would have gotten a charge out of that! :lol: :lol:

Hawk, I fear that if I had been fortunate enough to have obtained the required post as Maintenance Electrician, I would never have reached the age of retirement due to physical damage resulting from being constantly ravaged by the Daughters of; "you know who"... :pray: ...!

...but it would have been nice while it lasted!.... :dance: ... :dance: ....!

Paul....I need some more; "ravaging"... :? ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hawkeye07 » Wed May 24, 2017 10:42 pm

You're right Paul! One cannot have too much ravaging :dance: :dance:

Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby B52bob » Thu May 25, 2017 10:02 am

Living in Nevada, I always wanted to be a wrangler at a chicken farm (and they don't have chickens there).
B52bob
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hawkeye07 » Thu May 25, 2017 12:03 pm

B52bob wrote:Living in Nevada, I always wanted to be a wrangler at a chicken farm (and they don't have chickens there).

I always wanted to be a quality control inspector at the Mustang Ranch! :lol:

Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Return to Humour