Real World Airline Simulators

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

Real World Airline Simulators

Postby Dave71K » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:09 pm

Right so after many years on FSX etc I've wondered could fly a airline. For example could I get a 767 up fly it somewhere and land again with out killing everyone. Obviously there no chance I'm getting on the flight deck of a real airliner BUT there are pilot training simulators all over the place, there on TV all the time and I was wondering how if at all possible do you get ago on one.

TV presenters get on them so it's not like there closed to anyone who isn't a professional etc.

Anyone got any thoughts. I do know of a 'simulator experience' here in the U.K but it's a little corperate jet between Heathrow and Gatwick which is to small just seems pointless.

If any one knows anything it would be great! Obviously it needs to be in the U.K!

Ok so I answered my own question and found this!

http://ebaft.com/fly/fse.htm

Best get saving up!
Last edited by Dave71K on Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave71K

Re: Real World Airline Simulators

Postby pete » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:07 am

Google 'flight simulator experience uk'

The BA version you give would not be hard to beat on price ..

This was one of the 1st results
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby expat » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:19 am

Having a couple of times had the controls of a 737-800 sim thanks to the company I work for and for my job (also lots of flights in jump seats), I have to ask what all the fuss is about. I think you will find it pretty easy. This one missing thing though, when the call comes over the cabin PA, "can anyone fly a plane" is the pucker factor...... ;D

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby ozzy72 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:04 am

I guess you had the lasagne Matt ;)
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Flying Trucker » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:59 am

Goodly morning all... :)

Have been in many motion simulators and at least once a year I manage a C130 simulator.

Like the real aircraft, if you do not know what you are doing, one can get hurt as they can throw you around violently...they are not a toy.

There are some very expensive fixed base simulators out there and they do a great job simulating motion.
Pete's above Link shows one.

I always liked the old LINK, basic like the Tiger Moth but an effective motion simulator.

I have seen folks with motion sickness in several simulators and even one or two were claustrophobic.

The graphics are one hundred percent better, have actually seen people going in and out of a fast food restaurant while passing over on takeoff, but these are all programs written for the particular simulator and area.

Microsoft with their FS2004 and FSX have come a long way with their game along with several other companies.

Motion Chairs, Motion Seats are now all available from several manufacturers for the home computer and they are getting cheaper and better all the time.

With release of the new Microsoft Flight and a Motion Chair the home flight simulator game will have come a long way, just like the old LINK... ;)
Last edited by Flying Trucker on Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers...Happy Landings...Doug
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby expat » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:59 am

I guess you had the lasagne Matt ;)

With extra garlic............a double pronged attack ;D ;D

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby C » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:20 pm

Simulators. In my experience generally about to mean a busy  and fairly miserable 2 hours! ;D
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby RaptorF22 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:48 pm

I've been in the LM F-35 static full-cockpit sim, and it's pretty cool!
Plus I got a gun kill first try!  ;D

I'd love to try a full-motion sim sometime, though. :)
RaptorF22
Major
Major

Postby Dave71K » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:12 pm

The one and only reason I want a go in one is so if I'm watching a film such as 'Airplane' for example and I say I could land that and my friend says....'Just because you can fly in flight sim doesn't mean you could do it for real', I can say...'yes I can'

I may be being cocky but after flying round in my CS767 for a good while I recon I could jump in a 767 and I wouldn't be totally lost in the cockpit. I'd know what nearly everything does and what to do with and how to turn it on.

I'd love to be able to prove in a 'as really as it can be' scenario that I can.

The original post was just to ask if they even exist and the public can go in them.
I'm certain I can find them much cheaper than the BA one!
Dave71K

Postby Fozzer » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:28 pm

I reckon your best bet is to pop along to your local Flying Club, and bag a Trial Flight in one of their Cessna 150/152s for an hour.

That will be a practical experience for little cost, and, of course, highly realistic!

Nothing better...trust me!

Paul....been there...done it!... ;)...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Dave71K » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:44 pm

I reckon your best bet is to pop along to your local Flying Club, and bag a Trial Flight in one of their Cessna 150/152s for an hour.

That will be a practical experience for little cost, and, of course, highly realistic!

Nothing better...trust me!

Paul....been there...done it!... ;)...!

I've done that already, I found it very dull but there's a whole thread about that somewhere in here. I'm more after proving I could fly an airliner.
Dave71K

Postby Mictheslik » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:11 pm

If you come over to Speke you can have a go in the Jetstream sim for a small donation. OK, it's only a small turboprop aircraft and it's not full motion, but you do get to go inside a real aircraft! (As real as it gets ;) )

.mic
[center]Image
Mictheslik
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby DaveSims » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:47 pm

I had the opportunity about 12 years ago to visit the American Airlines training center at DFW.  Part of the trip was spent in the ATR-42 and MD-11 sims.  I flew both, and did fairly well at the time, even made a really nice landing in the MD-11. 

Flying Trucker is correct though, it is possible to get hurt in the sim if you don't know what you are doing.  The group ahead of me in the ATR somehow screwed the landing, and I watched the entire simulator tilt as close to 90 degrees forward as it could.  The instructor unfortunately was standing between the two seats instead of buckled in when it happened, and went face first into the instrument panel.
DaveSims
Major
Major

Postby ukflyer » Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:07 pm

Realise I'm late replying to this thread but just in case it's useful, I recently tried the 737 full motion simulator at JetEx in Frome (near Bath / Bristol). Have to say it was an amazing experience - true 6-axis full motion. I thought the rams the sim rests on were hydraulic but the guy who built it explained to me they're electric - amazing when you think they're moving a 3 tonne sim around at the rate they do. The motion was very realistic, and the display out the cockpit also.
ukflyer
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to General Discussion