There's always one...

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

There's always one...

Postby ozzy72 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:42 am

Most seasoned windsurfers develop a sense for danger. Some can smell peril on the wind while others can feel it in the turn of the tide. Adam Cowles, however, only began to suspect something was wrong when the shoreline behind him vanished and he passed a huge cargo ship. It was then that the university technician realised he may have ventured a little too far from Swansea Bay.
He decided the best course of action was to press on and three hours later his odyssey through the freezing waters of the Bristol Channel came to an end on a beach in Devon, 40 miles from where he had started. Mr Cowles, 24, stumbled ashore in Woody Bay, near Lynton, north Devon, where the surprised locals proved friendly enough to take him to the pub.
He said he had started to feel apprehensive when he saw that Swansea had almost disappeared from sight. "I knew something was not quite right when I noticed it was just a speck in the far distance. I then went past a cargo ship," he told the South Wales Evening Post.
"I turned around and realised that I had gone too far. It was at that point I had a moment of inspiration. I just thought I would carry on and head towards Devon. It was a clear day and I could see the coast so I just went for it."
Despite the cold weather, his gamble paid off and his efforts won a liquid reward.
"Even though I did not have any money, a couple took me off to a pub and bought me some beer," he said. "There I was sitting in a pub, completely soaking and in my wetsuit, but no one batted an eyelid."
Mr Cowles admitted that one of the scariest aspects of the day was having to call his wife and ask her for a lift home. It was a 280-mile round trip.
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Re: There's always one...

Postby beaky » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:53 am

LOL..."Hmmm, the shoreline seems to be receding. Whatever could that mean? "
Intrepid sailor; bad navigator. He's damn lucky he had enough wind!
beaky
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby cspyro21 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:57 am

Stupid, but sounds like a good adventure :D
cspyro21
Major
Major

Postby TSC. » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:57 am

Never windsurfed myself, but i'm pretty sure that you don't have to wait until the shore is just 'a speck in the distance' before you decide your a tad too far out.

Doofus.

(Not to mention the massive air/sea rescue mission that would've ensued had he not made it back to shore).

TSC.

'Only two things are infinite.......The Universe and Human stupidity........and I'm not too sure about the Universe' - Einstein
TSC.
Major
Major

Postby Saitek » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:13 am

The lengths some will go for a drink. ::) ;)
Windows 7 Pro 64bit
Intel Core 2 Duo E2180 2GHz
GA-P35-DS3L Intel P35
Kingston HyperX 4GB (2x2) DDR2 6400C4 800Mhz
GeForce 8800 GT 512MB
2 x 22" monitors
200GB Sata
Be Quiet! Straight Power 650W

Flying FS
Saitek
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Woodlouse2002 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:11 pm

He's damn lucky he had enough wind!

There is never too little wind in the Bristol Channel. Not much space for a chart table on a windsurfer either. ;D
Woodlouse2002 PITA and BAR!!!!!!!!

Our Sovereign Lord the King chargeth and commandeth all persons, being assembled, immediately to disperse themselves, and peaceably to depart to their habitations, or to their lawful business, upon the pains c
Woodlouse2002
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Cobra » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:04 pm

Another windsurfer here, though gradually becoming a kitesurfer :-[ :-[ ;D

To be honest, where i surf the prevailing wind is offshore, which i actually prefer, because it means you can stay right in inshore!!

LOL Falcon, i wouldnt call 140L a huge board!! My smallest is like 114 i think, and goes right up to my 240 + long board (very old needless to say) ;D
JAA/FAA PPL + Night Rating!

Quad Core 6600 2.4GHz ~ nVidia 8800GTX ~ 4GB DDR2 RAM 800MHz ~ Sound Blaster X-Fi 7.1 ~ Samsung Pebble 20" ~ Logitech 5.1 Surround Sound

[center][img]http://www.simvi
Cobra
Major
Major

Postby Cobra » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:42 am

Thats actually a really nice board you've got there! Never actually used JP's but heard a lotta good stuff!

Yeh, the board i sail most is a (good old ;)) Mistral Flow, 114L!
Its sucha great board, got some newer ones but they really dont compare!

Ive also got a Screamer 130 which is really nice for slightly lighter winds, but i live down by Poole Harbour(you may have heard of it ???) and the wind barelly ever gets above 20 knots, anything above about 14knots i consider good  ;D

Ive got a Tiga Bump n' Jump tucked away somewhere in the garage, only used it once! Not sure wat L, but I really couldnt use it, just found it so hard to get going!

So where do you surf?

Quad Core 6600 2.4GHz ~ nVidia 8800GTX ~ 4GB DDR2 RAM 800MHz ~ Sound Blaster X-Fi 7.1 ~ Samsung Pebble 20" ~ Logitech 5.1 Surround Sound

Cobra
Major
Major

Postby Travis » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:54 am

Shouldn't that guy get some kind of reward?  I mean, that's a long trip on a big piece of plastic!  Perhaps the Guiness Book of World Records should hear about this . . . ;)
Travis
Major
Major

Postby Woodlouse2002 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:56 am

[quote]Shouldn't that guy get some kind of reward?
Woodlouse2002 PITA and BAR!!!!!!!!

Our Sovereign Lord the King chargeth and commandeth all persons, being assembled, immediately to disperse themselves, and peaceably to depart to their habitations, or to their lawful business, upon the pains c
Woodlouse2002
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Cobra » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:27 am

;D Indeed

Not sure of the furthest, but i know that people have windsurfed across the Atlantic...The Captain of the Air France concorde which tragically crashed in Paris being one of them...

Cobra
Major
Major

Postby beaky » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:08 pm

There is never too little wind in the Bristol Channel.

Not surprised to hear that, but it doesn't sound like he was counting on it.

Not much space for a chart table on a windsurfer either. ;D

I agree, haha, but let's face it- if you fail to notice you're heading offshore on a clear day until the shore has slipped over the horizon, you're not a very good navigator.
;D
beaky
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to General Discussion