Chernobyl

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

Chernobyl

Postby Meinas » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:35 pm

Found this interesting read and pictures at another message board

its about the current state of the area around the famous Russian town with the nuclear reactor that blew up....
http://www.ninja-assassin.com/mirror/Chernobyl/
Meinas
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Chernobyl

Postby IcedFoxtrotter » Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:05 am

Deep seated issues with this disaster also are involved with the curent "good old nasa" thread......

Scary how big of an area is affected by this, thank God 3 mile Is. didn't go like this........  :-/
[move][i]A.L. Quote: Everytime you go away, it actually kinda makes my day. Everytime you leave you slam the door. You pick your words so carefully, you hate to think you're hurting me. You leave me laughing on the floor......Cause I don't give
IcedFoxtrotter
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Polynomial » Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:28 am

good source of power if done safely ;D  Problem is, to err is human and we are in charge at the end of the day.
Polynomial
Major
Major

Postby Saitek » Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:19 am

That was great. I enjoyed seeing all that, but I think she is absolutely nuts and most suicidal. Radiation takes a number of years to show up. She will probably die of some nasty cancer.
I am most anti-nuclear power. In Britain if that happened we would have to abandon our island completely. why take such a stupifd risk?
My worry is not so much in human error with the plants, but the fear that a terrorist may get a senior job controlling the reactions. With so much worry these days of discrimination against races etc an international terrorist is likely to be given these sort of jobs in preference to a British person.

Ben
Windows 7 Pro 64bit
Intel Core 2 Duo E2180 2GHz
GA-P35-DS3L Intel P35
Kingston HyperX 4GB (2x2) DDR2 6400C4 800Mhz
GeForce 8800 GT 512MB
2 x 22" monitors
200GB Sata
Be Quiet! Straight Power 650W

Flying FS
Saitek
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Omag 2.0 » Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:46 am

I still remember the day it happend like it was yesterday. I was a little boy, but saw the pictures in the news, and could tell how bad it was by my fathers reaction.

I've never been spooked more by the news than at that moment.

And i don't exactly trust that sarcofage ( is this English?) - big concrete construction - around the reactor. It could give away any day now, causing a massive radioactive dustcloud. Darn, its eerie.
Last edited by Omag 2.0 on Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
[center]

Check my aviation-photo's at www.airliners.be

Or go straight to Omag's Album[/cent
Omag 2.0
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby IcedFoxtrotter » Fri Mar 26, 2004 4:50 am

If you mean Sarcophagus, like an egyptian tomb thingy, than yes that is correct english.

If a nuke is built correctly and maintained correctly, than it will be very safe and often safer than a coal or gas plant (my first college major was nuclear theory and tech). If they weren't able to do so than we wouldn't build them for our expensive subs and carriers.

(eerie)

If that thing realy is unstable, I would be stopping by UHaul, right about now if I was you....
Last edited by IcedFoxtrotter on Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
[move][i]A.L. Quote: Everytime you go away, it actually kinda makes my day. Everytime you leave you slam the door. You pick your words so carefully, you hate to think you're hurting me. You leave me laughing on the floor......Cause I don't give
IcedFoxtrotter
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby ATI_7500 » Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:11 am

I was two days old when it happened...and I lived much closer to it than anyone of you (East Berlin). The radiation cloud went all over Germany (bad wind direction) and even in the black forest,radiation levels in meat and mushrooms were very high. But I can't remember having heard of any men or women who died because of the increased radiation.
Most of the deaths are caused by lung cancer or other cancer anyways... ::)

As for the read: Pretty interesting. But what's wrong about visiting the "zone" ? As long as she knows about the risks and the right behaviour there...
I'd like to go there and take a look at the power plant and the ghost towns...
ATI_7500

Postby Delta_ » Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:19 am

The reason for Chernobyl blowing up was poor maintenance and lack of knowledge.
Last edited by Delta_ on Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delta_
Major
Major

Postby ATI_7500 » Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:05 am

But what's nature without mutation,assimilation and evolution? I'm sure that there will be some kind of resistance against radioactivity someday.
ATI_7500

Postby Meinas » Fri Mar 26, 2004 5:58 pm

heres the same site with some more pages added
http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/kiddofspeed/
Meinas
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Woodlouse2002 » Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:17 pm

If you remember that natural souces of power I.e. Coal, Gas and Oil are due to run out within the next 500 years then you will see that nuclear power is the only way forward. If one ton of Uranium can produce the same amound of power as 100,000 tons of coal then it is the logical way forward. Wind turbines and hydroelectric plants are all very well but they cannot produce the power needed these days. And if you want proof that Nuclear power isn't all bad, then take a look at france. That country is almost entirely run on nuclear power now and have they had any problems?
Woodlouse2002 PITA and BAR!!!!!!!!

Our Sovereign Lord the King chargeth and commandeth all persons, being assembled, immediately to disperse themselves, and peaceably to depart to their habitations, or to their lawful business, upon the pains c
Woodlouse2002
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Delta_ » Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:44 pm

It is just the waste products that are not good.  

However i do like the Fusion technology that is being developed and will allow us to produce even more power using deuterium (which can be got from the sea, it is hydrogen with a proton, electron and a neutron, as opposed to just a proton and electron).  Two Deuterium are fused together to form Helium, this releases lots of energy and the product is not going to reck the place.  It can be used for other stuff.  
Last edited by Delta_ on Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delta_
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:30 pm

And if you want proof that Nuclear power isn't all bad, then take a look at france. That country is almost entirely run on nuclear power now and have they had any problems?

Apparently they have. http://www.commondreams.org/headlines03/0811-03.htm

I was never convinced about nuclear energy. Those French reactors just across the Channel are a tad too close for comfort. ::)
http://naturalscience.com/ns/news/ns_news3.html

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Polynomial » Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:31 pm

as for the waste:  i reckon they should blast it into outer space with a rocket - that way we'd never have to worry about it again and space is infinite to some and a very big place to others so i don't think there is much risk of us 'polluting' space.
Polynomial
Major
Major

Postby Meinas » Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:25 pm

shoot enough mass off earth, and its orbit will change.....could be a very very bad thing
Meinas
Ground hog
Ground hog

Next

Return to General Discussion