Bl**dy W*ndows

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

Re: Bl**dy W*ndows

Postby RollerBall » Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:55 am

To a great extent it's horses for courses.

When Win 98 came out the clock speed of your average PC was 233MHz (I'm being generous - it was more like 166 or 200 MHz)

So if you're still running an 'old' chip PC, XP ain't gonna do much for you. And I mean PII, probably PIII, or AMD K6 II and III going up to Thunderbird, Duron.

But if you've got a nice little P4 or Athlon jobbie running at 2-3 GHz , do you think it would be a good idea to run Win 98 on it?

Remember the architecture of your chip wasn't even around when Win 98 came out.  XP was designed specifically for the architecture of your chip - yes Win98 will run it, but can you expect 'full' performance? I have to doubt it.

In my own case, I've installed and run Win98, ME, Win2000 Pro and XP Pro all on the same architecture (Athlon XP from 1500+ to presently 2000+). I can tell you that the Win 2000 and XP Pro versions CONSIDERABLY outperform the earlier versions of Windows. I'm not surprised.
RollerBall

Postby Paz » Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:07 pm

This is only my opinion, but I feel as though you need to keep up with things as best as possible, some of you may love WIN98, but how much longer will you be able to use that OS before current technology no longer supports it?
  I still have a machine with WIN3.11, it could still be useful for something, but unless you are digging through the bargain bins, you can't buy anything that will run on it.
  Look at the requirements for most any new software you buy, WIN98 is usually the oldest OS it will run on,
very soon the newest version of Windows will be released and eventually all support for 98 will be phased out.

As I stated earlier, I have had no problems at all with XP and must agree with everything Rollerball stated,
I believe many problems that get blamed on the OS originate with a mistake or misdirection from the user.
There are compatibility issues, but normally these too can be worked out if you know what you're doing.

So IMO, it just makes sense to stick with the most up to date technology, otherwise there will come a point when you will have no choice but to bring yourself up to date or be left behind, and when that time becomes absolutely necessary, if you haven't grown with the industry, you're really gonna be lost.
Still no linked images allowed around here Paz! Naughty...
Paz
Major
Major

Postby RollerBall » Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:54 pm

[quote]  
RollerBall

Postby Paz » Tue Jun 10, 2003 3:11 pm

.....need the manuals? ;D

Got 'em.....er......somewhere. Dos manuals too!
Paz
Major
Major

Postby RollerBall » Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:45 pm

:D

Crazy ain't it...we never chuck em because we always think they just might come in useful sometime.

For what - maybe propping up a broken table leg!
RollerBall

Postby Paz » Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:00 pm

HEY! That's not funny!!  DOS RULES!!!.....NOT!

;D LOL  ;D

Yeah! I still have books like DOS for dummies, and a big multi-hundred page comprehensive manual on DOS, and WIN 3.11.
 I just tried to find them and I don't have a clue where they are buried.
Paz
Major
Major

Postby BFMF » Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:02 am

My father (dumbass, moron, jerk,ect, ect,ect), tried to give me some old DOS, Win3.1, & Win95 manuals about 2 years ago. I simply tossed 'em.
Last edited by BFMF on Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
BFMF
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Paz » Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:07 am

Never know, might be worth something someday.......AHHHHAHAHAHA!!!!
Paz
Major
Major

Postby Paz » Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:10 am

WOW, I just noticed that my mustache is crooked in my little picture over there<--- just like in real life 8)
Paz
Major
Major

Postby BFMF » Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:11 am

Never know, might be worth something someday.......AHHHHAHAHAHA!!!!

I doubt it ;D
Last edited by BFMF on Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
BFMF
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Smoke2much » Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:12 pm

Thanks for the info.  I had the feeling it was windows that was the problem.  I am quite happy with ME as all of the software I own works to a certain degree.  Under XP things like silent hunter (old but a true classic) never managed to load up.  Oh well.

Will
Who switched the lights off?
Smoke2much
Major
Major

Previous

Return to General Discussion