Iraq War Politics is out

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

Iraq War Politics is out

Postby pete » Sun Mar 30, 2003 7:25 am

The vote has been cast.
Please accept the overall wishes of the people here & post political views on the war on Iraq elsewhere.
Last edited by pete on Sun Mar 30, 2003 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Iraq War Politics is out

Postby DougC-3 » Sun Mar 30, 2003 8:28 am

I'll gladly go along with this, Pete.  The cosmopolitan nature of this site is one of the most interesting and appealing things about it to me.  It really enriches the forum experience, and I wouldn't want to see any aspect of it jeopardized.  

It's a small sacrifice to make to help keep this the best site on the Internet ;).
Comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.
--- William Sloan Coffin (and many others)
DougC-3
Major
Major

Postby WebbPA » Sun Mar 30, 2003 1:51 pm

Whatever.  I never bothered reading them anyway.
WebbPA
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Maccers » Sun Mar 30, 2003 1:55 pm

I'm gald the vote has swung unanamously this way. However, with users of different nationalities, religious positions and government views... I think any war should be a banned subject alltogher. Not just the Iraq conflict.

War is not nice: - Barbra Bush, 1991
Athlon XP 1800+, 1GB RAM, Asus V9560 FX 5600 256Mb, 40Gb HDD
Maccers
Major
Major

Postby Professor Brensec » Sun Mar 30, 2003 7:16 pm

I'm gald the vote has swung unanamously this way. However, with users of different nationalities, religious positions and government views... I think any war should be a banned subject alltogher. Not just the Iraq conflict.

Maccers, My man,

Do you mean any war that is currently (or recently) in progress (I agree) or ALL, as in even WWI and II or Roman and Greek military actions, in their Historical contexts?  ;D ;D ;)
http://www.ra.online-plus.biz

I cried because I had no shoes - until I saw a man who had no feet.
Professor Brensec
Major
Major

Postby pete » Mon Mar 31, 2003 2:36 am

It was far from unanimous .. just the overall top poll (from the few who bothered to vote - which in itself says a lot...) was to ask people to refrain from politics .... not BAN it...
I think any war should be a banned subject alltogher.

....... does that include everything to do with the CFS series ?? After all that's BASED on war ......   ;)

Come on Maccers .... ... there have been some great discussions here about war history ..

&... for instance ... How do you think someone makes a good CFS campaign without studying & discussing the history of what happened?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Maccers » Mon Mar 31, 2003 3:59 am

Ok ok... I might have been a bit too quick on the trigger with that remark :). I meant from more of a present-war point-of-view. just because it effects people in a personal way when its actually happening.
This war is a touchy subject for me atm. I found out last week i had distant relitives living in Bhagdad, and i hope they are alright and stay that way.
I often enjoy talking about historical situations like WWII, and i dont see why it should be stoped when it draws people into a civilised discussion 8)
But who am i to ask of this? ::) :P I'll go crawl back into my hole again
Maccers
Major
Major

Postby Professor Brensec » Mon Mar 31, 2003 7:17 am

I have "not so distant relatives" in Bagdad (so my Government tells me). If not in Bagdad, somewhere else, in hiding, probably risking death if discovered.

As has been said, many people have personal concerns with regard to what is happening. This is a fact in any conflict.
Please don't take for granted that those who appear to be in favour of the morality and legality of this action, have no-one at risk because of it (a common, subconscious attitude).

I have seen too much death in my (relatively short) life. More than once, it has occurred in my arms. I, as much as anyone, cannot stand the thought of one single person losing their life over this conflict, but we all know the reasons why this is so, even if we don't support this particular episode in mans history.

I truely do hope that your relatives are, and continue to be OK, Maccers (I have prayed specifically for them since reading your last post), as do I, for everyone else, not least the noble and ancient people of this biblical land, who have already suffered far too much.
Last edited by Professor Brensec on Mon Mar 31, 2003 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Professor Brensec
Major
Major

Postby Maccers » Mon Mar 31, 2003 9:28 am

I truely do hope that your relatives are, and continue to be OK, Maccers (I have prayed specifically for them since reading your last post)

And i for your relatives :), and anyone who elses is unvolentaraly and/or unwillingly brought into the conflict.
Last edited by Maccers on Mon Mar 31, 2003 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maccers
Major
Major

Postby merril_c_meigs » Mon Mar 31, 2003 2:39 pm

lol, ironic that the topic about not discussing it seems to be turning into a topic disscussing it. sheesh.  ;D
merril_c_meigs
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby DougC-3 » Mon Mar 31, 2003 4:14 pm

[quote]lol, ironic that the topic about not discussing it seems to be turning into a topic disscussing it. sheesh.
DougC-3
Major
Major

Postby Professor Brensec » Mon Mar 31, 2003 6:41 pm

If we really want to get down to "tin tacks".........lol ;D

This topic is the official announcement that a decision has been made, and as such, is still open for comment within the confines of that decision, regarding the discussion of the decision to limit (and/or ban) the concept of discussing the subject of the poll to determine the attitudes toward discussion (and posting) of the the decision referring to the aforementioned subject, which, as it happens, is now the subject of further controversy, in respect of the posting of, and within, the post pertaining to the decision regarding the limitations of said subject/s within the context of their political content.

But given all this, my real fear is.............I understand this perfectly. ??? :-X :-[ :'( :o ::)

Oh shite!  ;D

Professor Brensec
Major
Major

Postby BFMF » Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:47 am

Brensec, you're gonna give me a headache if you don't stop ;D ;D :P ::) ;)
BFMF
Colonel
Colonel

Postby DougC-3 » Tue Apr 01, 2003 6:35 am

Brensec, I knew you were going to say that ;).

But seriously, if you'd sprinkle in a few "whereas's" and "aforesaid's" you could hire out to write legal documents ;).

This reminds me of the "fog rating" they used to use to write Army manuals in the US.  Does anybody remember how to calculate it?  It was to determine the complexity of a given sentence, and had to do with the length of the sentence, number of words, and maybe the number of syllables in the words.  It would wind up with an integer like "6."  I believe they were said to be written at about a 4th grade level.  (surely not ??? ::))

The idea was that the courses were to be taught so that the dumbest person in the class would be able to learn all of the material.  (woops!  there I went off topic again :-[)
DougC-3
Major
Major

Postby Professor Brensec » Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:29 am

If I'd thought about it for a little while instead of just jumpimg on and saying what was in my head, I could have done alot better.

P.S. Surprisingly Doug, I do write legal jargon for a couple of "concerns". Mainly Policy Documents and Contracts.

Now there's a good reason for our students to get their spelling and grammar up to scratch.
Last edited by Professor Brensec on Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Professor Brensec
Major
Major

Next

Return to General Discussion