War Talk in these forums.

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

Re: War Talk in these forums.

Postby RichieB16 » Wed Mar 26, 2003 7:12 pm

I don't think discussing the war here is a good idea.  This board has people on it from all over the world and it doesn't seem any good can come from it.  It seems more likely to cause problems in the form of arguements and could devide the forum into two groups.  I don't think its a good idea and have therefore choosen to avoid war topics.
RichieB16
Major
Major

Postby DougC-3 » Wed Mar 26, 2003 9:02 pm

I've now had a chance to read all the threads on the war and reflect on things, and I've cast my vote to ask people to cease & desist.  (If there'd been an option for continuing the talk with certain restrictions, I might have chosen that.)  

Most of my reasons have already been stated by me and others.  One thing that was important in my decision was the opinions of "old" members (people who got here before me, soon after the original board started, including some 15 yr. olds :)), because they helped establish the original philosophy of the forums, and have stated it many times when these questions have come up, and have been around long enough to know what happens when people deviate from it.

Most of us have seen cases where members have quit and/or been banned over this sort of thing, and it's not uncommon for forums to split right down the middle if it gets out of hand.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Doug
Comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.
--- William Sloan Coffin (and many others)
DougC-3
Major
Major

Postby Brett_Henderson » Wed Mar 26, 2003 10:39 pm

Mainly because I am seeing a lot of one sided commentary - almost a 'let's go get 'em!' attitude without considering the realities involved & with little scepticism to 3rd rate news services reports - like Fox News   (CNN is better - BBC better still)

The serious and sober aspects of : "War vs. Diplomacy"  and the aftermath...have been made a mockery by the "news" networks. (I can't speak of the BBC as I haven't watched).

Fox is already planning Bush's spot on Mt. Rushmore, while CNN is building the case for his war crime trials.

They are both painful to watch.
Brett_Henderson
Major
Major

Postby BFMF » Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:29 pm

Just my 2 cents worth.

It's worth a lot more ;)
BFMF
Colonel
Colonel

Postby BFMF » Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:32 pm

Fox is already planning Bush's spot on Mt. Rushmore, while CNN is building the case for his war crime trials.

I wish the media would stick to facts and confirmed reports only. I'm getting tired of them speculating so much
BFMF
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Professor Brensec » Thu Mar 27, 2003 2:02 am

I've had my say in most of the Iraq war topics being posted. Only one, to date, has been locked. It is the only one to come close, as far as I can see.

I have also been mindful of the fact that these "controversial" threads can become crap-fights if we aren't all sensitive.

I have my views, and concerns. I think what's being mistaken for "let's go get 'm attitude" is genuine human concern for the noble people of Iraq who require our help. I have voiced this and so have others.

No more talk from me with regard to the need for this military action. The truth will out.

In the interest of peace and harmony and to protect our unique asset (this forum), I am making a conscience vote (against my own wishes) to ban talk of the CURRENT conflict. I value my friends and this forum more than voicing my opinions over and over again, no matter how logical and clear they may seem to me.

I do really think, as I've said before, we do need to reclassify what is being termed as political. Economics is more politically affectatious and influenced than any war, but no-one had a problem with the currency discussions we were having recently. Please, "controversial" is a more accurate and clear way to describe what's being termed "political".

I had a great need to post an apology on behalf of some of my countrymen today. It was very war related. I am glad there was somewhere to express my feelings of sorrow and regret, without fear of having it deleted.
So, maybe there is a limited need, for such things. My conscience vote, however is still "no war discussion".
http://www.ra.online-plus.biz

I cried because I had no shoes - until I saw a man who had no feet.
Professor Brensec
Major
Major

Postby pete » Thu Mar 27, 2003 4:26 am

Now if only all the discussion on the 'war' could be as considered as the discussion on this thread we'd have no problem ;)

It seems the large majority so far want this to be a War free zone.

This aspect of control goes against my principles too (incidentally I think I've only ever locked one thread & that was about a year ago & by a member banned (also by common consent)) -

This will be a decision made not by me - but by us - users of this forum......
Last edited by pete on Thu Mar 27, 2003 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Professor Brensec » Thu Mar 27, 2003 4:43 am

Pete,

This topic is just over 24 hours old, at the moment.

Have you given much thought as to what number of votes we will consider a quorum. Conversely, what kind of time limit should be considered.
I mean the war could be over before we decide. I bloody hope it is. Tomorrow. But these things just crossed my mind.

Steve  :-*
http://www.ra.online-plus.biz

I cried because I had no shoes - until I saw a man who had no feet.
Professor Brensec
Major
Major

Postby pete » Thu Mar 27, 2003 9:49 am

;D
Last edited by pete on Thu Mar 27, 2003 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Brett_Henderson » Thu Mar 27, 2003 2:42 pm

Forgive me as I have to fall of the fence for just a moment.

There should be no problem with the people (hard working US taxpayers) who will end up footing the bill for ridding the world of a menace, recovering at least a fraction of the expense. Either through rebuilding contracts (for US companies) or an "occupation fee" for maintaining peace while the Iraqi citizens claim what is theirs.

Now I've gone and done it  ::)   ok  yell at me, I can take it.
Brett_Henderson
Major
Major

Postby ozzy72 » Thu Mar 27, 2003 3:08 pm

Actually Brett your comment makes perfect sense to me. I know during the Vietnam war that American companies were working hard to improve the lot of the South Vietnamese, and a number of American organisations are now involved in work in Afghanistan, I view it not so much as profiteering, but as proving that we don't just wield the sword, but also carry a shield to protect those weaker than us, and help them, and maybe to show that we are not bad people. Sort of a belated hearts and minds.

Ozzy
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Oso » Thu Mar 27, 2003 3:34 pm

[quote]I will believe this war was perhaps justified if Iraq ends up without many of its people killed & with government elected by the people & THE OIL RESERVES IN IRAQI CONTROL. Zero gain by the US of Iraqi oil will be acceptable anywhere on the globe - except maybe some places in Texas
Last edited by Oso on Thu Mar 27, 2003 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oso

Postby ozzy72 » Thu Mar 27, 2003 4:12 pm

Err Oso, both the Japanese and German economies are in recession at the moment. Okay so they own some stuff, but hey so do the Americans. I mean you got Hawaii, Alaska, McDonalds.
All we Britains got was every last umbrella factory, and a car company that was so bad in the end even the Germans sold it back to us! ;D
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Oso » Thu Mar 27, 2003 4:21 pm

Even in recession they aren't doing too badly compared to where they were right after the war.

BTW - I used to collect Brit motorcycles - loved them - had several Triumphs, BSA's, Nortons, AJS, Ariel etc. - never could get my hands on a Vincent Black Shadow though  :-[
Oso

Postby ozzy72 » Thu Mar 27, 2003 5:29 pm

The Shadow is rarer than rocking horse droppings, she is babelicious. I've never even seen one! And I'm a biking nut with an uncle who collected and restored Vincents. My grandfather had a selection of Triumphs, BSA's, Nortons, and AJS. I've only had Yamahas, Suzukis and Hondas (I'm a speed freak though).
Can you post some pics down in the autos forum Oso, teach the 4 wheel brigade what power and style really is?

Mark ;)
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion