War Talk in these forums.

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

War Talk in these forums.

Postby pete » Wed Mar 26, 2003 3:28 am

War is all over the News & Internet. Should it be here too?

I know all these posts about the War get me down. In fact I am not visiting the forums as much as a result & I know others must feel the same.

Mainly because I am seeing a lot of one sided commentary - almost a 'let's go get 'em!' attitude without considering the realities involved & with little scepticism to 3rd rate news services reports - like Fox News
Last edited by pete on Wed Mar 26, 2003 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Re: War Talk in these forums.

Postby BFMF » Wed Mar 26, 2003 3:39 am

I don't mind discussions about war as long as people can be civil about it
BFMF
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hagar » Wed Mar 26, 2003 7:05 am

I have always come here to escape reality. If I want to discuss the war, which I don't, there must be plenty of sites dedicated to the subject. There is also 24-hour live coverage on TV if you are inclined to watch it. The very idea of a Dedicated War forum on Simviation appals me. Can you imagine the amount of weirdos with no interest in SimV or flight simming that would attract?

I have a great deal of respect for all the regulars here. Even if their political beliefs are completely opposite to my own I regard them as my friends. I have my own strong views on this war but would not express them out of respect for their feelings. I know from experience that whatever I say will not change anyone's mind & that I would be in danger of losing their respect & friendship.

No thanks Pete. Let's keep this a fun forum.
Last edited by Hagar on Wed Mar 26, 2003 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby DougC-3 » Wed Mar 26, 2003 8:26 am

I think it's a tough question, Pete, and I'm glad I'm not in your shoes on this one.
Last edited by DougC-3 on Wed Mar 26, 2003 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.
--- William Sloan Coffin (and many others)
DougC-3
Major
Major

Postby ATI_7500 » Wed Mar 26, 2003 9:00 am

i've voted for "doesn't matter". no,please don't kick me! *runsaway* ;D
ATI_7500

Postby ozzy72 » Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:09 am

I think maybe we should ban it Pete, as I reported the Tornado being shot down incident as I thought this would be important for us as aviation fanatics, and people used it to turn it into an American bashing session, even though I'd put in the message not to.
Probably best to loose the war talk and get back to flying.

Mark
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Rifleman » Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:26 am

I usually keep my opinions to meself on matters that can turn ugly in the wave of a hand, but in this case, let me throw in my two cents worth.....we all come here from, because and due, to an interest in flying and operating virtual A/C......we need to view the war as what it is......ITS REAL.....lets leave it in the REAL world and do all our flying here with an interest in aviation and not Global Politics...its no different to RELIGION, as far being controversial...and how many wars has that subject been involved in ?......Lets fly guys, and keep our heads occupied in the cockpit we are flying,...What makes us meek beings think that we can solve the problems of the world with our opinions......bigger powers than us are working on i t and not having such an easy time with it.......lets leave it to them to deal with, and we can continue dealing with our fine distractions of reality in our virtual space here..........oh yeh,
Last edited by Rifleman on Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rifleman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Whitey » Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:30 am

Ban them...it's that simple.  All political posts used to be locked in a flash...why should it be any different now?
Whitey
Major
Major

Postby BFMF » Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:37 am

How about allow discussions on war, but restrict the politics side of it? Some people may have genuine questions concerning a certain aspect of a war

I know WW2 and vietnam has always been a popular and fascinating discussion ( Atleast it has always interests me), would that fall under your catagory?
Last edited by BFMF on Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
BFMF
Colonel
Colonel

Postby ozzy72 » Wed Mar 26, 2003 1:48 pm

I think the "historical" wars are okay to debate, as they are over and done with, and the issues resolved one way or another. Although I'm sure for people like Romulus (a Vietnam vet.) it can be difficult (as someone who survived the first Gulf War and Irelands terrorism problems, including my own family I know), and we should be sensitive to the fact that a number of people here are veterans of various wars, but on the whole I think our historical debates tend to be positive, and frequently educational. I am often amazed at some of the things I learn here!
The trouble is that the current Gulf War is just that, current, in a years time when its all over, the dust has settled, and people have had time to reflect and feel less passionate about what is happening, then I'm sure it will be a welcome topic here. I locked off my Tornado topic because it was upsetting a number of our American members, and it shouldn't have. I clearly stated that no-one was to blame. War has its cock-ups unfortunately. Believe me I've seen them with my own two mince-pies!!!

Mark ;)
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Fozzer » Wed Mar 26, 2003 3:32 pm

[quote]Ban them...it's that simple.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Iroquois » Wed Mar 26, 2003 4:07 pm

[quote]Ban them...it's that simple.
[center]I only pretend to know what I'm talking about. Heck, that's what lawyers, car mechanics, and IT professionals do everyday. ;)
The Rig:
AMD Athlon XP2000+ Palomino, ECS K7S5A 3.1, 1GB PC2700 DDR, Geforce FX5200 128mb, SB Live P
Iroquois
Major
Major

Postby 4_Series_Scania » Wed Mar 26, 2003 4:21 pm

This is a real problem.......

What aspect of this would we possibly ban?
How would we possibly impose it?
I'm not going to be starting any threads about this war , I've always loved to "get away from it all" by visiting this forum. Alas, I often post screen shots, would I fall foul of any therotical ban by posting a screen shot of a Tornado / A-10 / F18 / F16 etc ???
I've used CFS2 recently, got some great screenies of Harriers & Tornado's, I want to post them in honour of the R.A.F. (Being British as I am.....) however, I feel in the current climate that simply would'nt be right to any Iraqi users of this site.
We need to remember this is a worldwide site.

Politics is a certain no go for these forums.
I feel some guidelines need to be drawn up with regard to this war and what can and cannot be posted about it.

I think we need to keep a lid on the topic in general, perhaps trying to focus on what can make two people to be great friends via the web yet quite possibly be opposing each other in a war.

I hope mankind can work this out, I'm damned if I can.

Praying for a safer world.
Paul.
Posting drivel here since Jan 31st, 2002. - That long!
"He who laughs last, thinks slowest."
4_Series_Scania
Major
Major

Postby BFMF » Wed Mar 26, 2003 5:00 pm

I think the "historical" wars are okay to debate, as they are over and done with, and the issues resolved one way or another. Although I'm sure for people like Romulus (a Vietnam vet.) it can be difficult (as someone who survived the first Gulf War and Irelands terrorism problems, including my own family I know), and we should be sensitive to the fact that a number of people here are veterans of various wars, but on the whole I think our historical debates tend to be positive, and frequently educational. I am often amazed at some of the things I learn here!

I agree. Don't allow any discussions on the current war for a while.

And also, As long as we're civil, I think we should still allow topics on previous wars like WW1 & WW2 which are fascinating, because i've sure learned a lot!

I can't remember ever seeing a WW2 discussion get locked from a flame war, they're mostly locked from getting too big!
BFMF
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hagar » Wed Mar 26, 2003 5:25 pm

Ozzy took the words right out of my mouth. My vote was purely on the current war in Iraq & the media circus surrounding it. That's how I read the question in Pete's original topic.

As an amateur historian I often discuss various aspects of WWII & other past events. This is history, not current affairs, although I am fully aware that even dicussing something that happened many years ago can awaken unpleasant memories for some. I see no objection to Scania posting his shots of military aircraft providing they're not accompanied by emotional comments on the current situation. I know he & most regulars are mature enough not to do that without me mentioning it.

All I ask is that you remember that flight simming is an international hobby. All nationalities have traditionally been made welcome here. Long may it continue. ;)
Last edited by Hagar on Wed Mar 26, 2003 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to General Discussion