Italian Journalists

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

Italian Journalists

Postby ozzy72 » Sat Mar 29, 2003 9:50 am

Now war does turn up the odd comic moment, but this made me laugh my head off...

Seven Italian reporters missing near the Iraqi city of Basra have been taken to Baghdad, according to the head of Italy's journalists federation.
Paolo Serventi Longhi said the seven, who went missing on Friday, were believed to have been taken first by Iraqi police to a hotel in Basra.
He said they had been questioned by Iraqi authorities and were now in Baghdad.
Serventi Longhi said they were believed to be in good condition, adding that they would probably be expelled because they had no visas to work in Iraq.
A British Army patrol had been searching for the seven who had been out of touch since being stopped at an Iraqi checkpoint on Friday.
The journalists all work for major Italian newspapers and were trying to report on conditions in Basra.
They passed a British checkpoint, went over a bridge, then found themselves at a traffic light manned by Iraqi police.
One vehicle hung back, and when the three reporters inside saw that the first two cars were having trouble at the checkpoint, they decided to turn around.

So after being bravely abandoned by their colleagues (in the finest Italian tradition), the Iraqi bueracracy (which seems to be v.alive and well) is kicking them out of the country for not having work visas! Reality is truely stranger than fiction ;D

Ozzy ;D
Last edited by ozzy72 on Sat Mar 29, 2003 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Italian Journalists

Postby denishc » Sat Mar 29, 2003 11:56 am

Good story Ozzy, but one quick question, how were the Iraqis able to transport the journalist from Basra to Bagdad?  I though the two cities were cut off from each other?
denishc
Captain
Captain

Re: Italian Journalists

Postby ozzy72 » Sat Mar 29, 2003 4:21 pm

I think they were caught a few days ago before we got that far.

Ozzy
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Return to General Discussion