Code of Conduct.

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

Code of Conduct.

Postby pete » Mon Mar 24, 2003 3:45 pm

Guys,

Just a reminder as there is a lot of rumbling going on round here & getting at least near to the 'political' fence we like to imagine ;)

Please remember - 'War' is a highly emotional subject.

This site is used by people from nations & cultures throughout the world. ALL are welcome here & politics do not play a part in anything we do.

Just remember not everyone holds the same view. Not everyone is confident of a 'positive' outcome out of all this.
War is always complex. It's simple to those who are short of facts regarding people & culture - but I like to think of SimV forum users as having some baggage in the knowledge division.

So please - water those emotions down & make sure your posts are geared towards sympathy for victims - on both sides of this very barbed fence....

Your understanding is appreciated.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Code of Conduct.

Postby Fozzer » Mon Mar 24, 2003 4:19 pm

As a member of the San Francisco KRON4 news channel Forum and being constantly bombarded by members flaming each other regarding the war, etc, I posted a reference to our Simviation Site to see how our members avoid politics, etc, and are pleasant to each other.
I asked them to pop over here now and again for a bit of relaxation and stress relief.
...LOL...!
...am I in time...?

Cheers...
Paul.
(England).
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Craig. » Mon Mar 24, 2003 4:25 pm

SIR YES SIR:)
seriously though.
will do pete, this is definatly a refreshingly pleasnt place to visit, and i havent been able to say that about forums in god knows how long
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Mon Mar 24, 2003 5:08 pm

It is interesting to note that as from tonight the San Francisco KRON4 News Channel Forums have been completely closed down due to constant, violent flaming over the Iraqi war.
So that my quiet, peacefull contribution to the site on other topics has been snuffed out... :'(...!
Lets hope that doesn't happen here... ::)...!

Cheers all...
Paul.
(England).
Last edited by Fozzer on Mon Mar 24, 2003 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Craig. » Mon Mar 24, 2003 5:23 pm

with the great mods we have here i doubt it'll come to that.
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby DougC-3 » Mon Mar 24, 2003 8:07 pm

It is interesting to note that as from tonight the San Francisco KRON4 News Channel Forums have been completely closed down due to constant, violent flaming over the Iraqi war.
So that my quiet, peacefull contribution to the site on other topics has been snuffed out... :'(...!
Lets hope that doesn't happen here... ::)...!

Cheers all...
Paul.

(England).

Hi, Paul!

I don't think we'll have that problem.  I've noticed that a lot of people (like you and me ;)) have wisely refrained from chiming in on these borderline political threads.  Like Pete intimates, the issues are too complex to handle adequately here.  Rash generalities are bound to step on toes.  The talk quickly gets nationalistic and people assume that everybody in a given nation (including the US) has the same views, and this couldn't be farther from the truth.

Sorry about your KRON forums -- hope they get back to normal soon.

Cheers,
Doug

P.S.  Someone mentioned in another thread that you had inquired about my absence, Paul...  Thanks for the concern ;).  I'm fine and expect to be butting in more frequently now.
Comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.
--- William Sloan Coffin (and many others)
DougC-3
Major
Major

Middle East

Postby Scorpiоn » Mon Mar 24, 2003 8:45 pm

Pete, is there any reason you haven't restricted the talk of the current Iraqi conflict completely?  I seem to recall you saying these forums were a place to get away from the world of politics and such.  Have you changed your mind? ??? Just pondering again. ::)
The Devil's Advocate.
Scorpiоn
Major
Major

Postby Jaffa » Mon Mar 24, 2003 9:03 pm

I think that we should post news about the war, but please, we don't need the flaming comments. ;)

Don't make any inflamatory posts, just absorb the news. :D
Jaffa
Major
Major

Postby BMan1113VR » Mon Mar 24, 2003 9:22 pm

good to keep us reminded pete

personally, i have read about 85% of these forum's posts, and if i come across a political thread, i just read what people have to say and ignore it. i think of this place for flightsimming, not politics, which i am also very interested in, but never the two should be discussed at the same time
Sincerely,
Me

SimV NFL 2006-2007 Season Pool Co-Champion (157-99; 9-2)
SimV NFL 2005-2006 Season Pool Co-Champion (163-93)
SimV NFL 2004-2005 Season Pool Champion (1
BMan1113VR
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Professor Brensec » Mon Mar 24, 2003 11:24 pm

Thanks for the reminder, Pete. ;D

Sometimes needed, especially during these "controversial" times. However, this time 'round, as I'm sure you've noticed me comment in several threads, I have found everyone minding their "P's & Q's" and not making personal comments or generalising about any group, be they nation, sex, religion or whatever.

My opinion is that there is a "political aspect" to many things we speak about. This war is a very important part of all our lives, particularly those in the coalition countries. Not to monitor and speak of it would be unnatural and, come to think of it, restrictive.
There is not so much political content than opinion with regard to freedom, threat of harm and concern for our world.

Australia is upset at the US subsidising their wheat farmers and causing our farmers great hardship. That's politics. It's also very uninteresting and not of very much importance except to our farmers (at least it didn't stop us from going to war with the US). So, I think "political" is the wrong description to give to these, shall we call them "controversial" threads.

Also, speaking of "controversial", just one question from one who honestly does not know, to all Americans.............

The word "Yank" has been AFFECTIONATELY used by (Australians especially) since WWII to describe our American friends. I have heard the term used on 1950's Bugs Bunny Cartoons (by Yosamite Sam) and in this forum and others, over a good deal of time, have never had an American take offence.
I believe the Union soldiers in the Civil War were called "Yankees" by their Southern brothers. But apart from this 138 year old reference, I'm unable to find any reason why it might cause offence today.
If one was to be offended, would they be Northern or Southern? (I've looked at the US map and have been unable to find a line which defines those descriptions, given my knowledge of which States were Union and which were Confederate).

Incidentally, the only time in Australian history that we have been a little upset with our US friends is during the War, when the GI's were "stealing" all our women.  ;D

The slogan went like this:

Q.  "What's wrong with the Yanks?"

A.  "They're OVER paid, OVER sexed and OVER 'ere!"
;D ;D ;)
http://www.ra.online-plus.biz

I cried because I had no shoes - until I saw a man who had no feet.
Professor Brensec
Major
Major

Postby Blade » Mon Mar 24, 2003 11:51 pm

THATS why i'm proud to be an American  ;D

Dell 4550
P4 2.53Ghz
512MB DDR SDRAM
GeForceFX 5900 129MB
60GB HD @ 7200RPM
PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN
Blade
Major
Major

Postby Jaffa » Tue Mar 25, 2003 3:41 pm

[quote]THATS why i'm proud to be an American
Jaffa
Major
Major

Postby DougC-3 » Wed Mar 26, 2003 1:45 am

Brensic said,
Also, speaking of "controversial", just one question from one who honestly does not know, to all Americans.............

The word "Yank" has been AFFECTIONATELY used by (Australians especially) since WWII to describe our American friends. I have heard the term used on 1950's Bugs Bunny Cartoons (by Yosamite Sam) and in this forum and others, over a good deal of time, have never had an American take offence.
I believe the Union soldiers in the Civil War were called "Yankees" by their Southern brothers. But apart from this 138 year old reference, I'm unable to find any reason why it might cause offence today.
If one was to be offended, would they be Northern or Southern? (I've looked at the US map and have been unable to find a line which defines those descriptions, given my knowledge of which States were Union and which were Confederate).

Well, this if off topic (and right in Pete's thread, too ::)), but here goes.
Last edited by DougC-3 on Wed Mar 26, 2003 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
DougC-3
Major
Major

Postby Professor Brensec » Thu Mar 27, 2003 1:31 am

Thanks for the explanation, Doug. Much appreciate.

We certainly don't (and never have) meant any offence by the term Yank, and I'm sure, neither have the Brits. In fact, as I said, it is a affectionate term. So please all US citizens, please treat this as a blanket apology, explanation, excuse for the past and future use of the term. It is really what we call (and have called since WWII) all Americans (regardless of north or south loyalties) and it's so ingrained, especially in a land where more of our language is slang then is not (I have to modify my speech heavily in order to be understood here) that I would have difficulty remebering to edit it from my posts when translating from Australian to English.

As for the Rhyming slang, when we say "Septic" (not Tank) it is not so affectionate............ ;D ;)
http://www.ra.online-plus.biz

I cried because I had no shoes - until I saw a man who had no feet.
Professor Brensec
Major
Major

Postby DougC-3 » Thu Mar 27, 2003 8:49 am

I actually didn't realize "septic" was in wide use :-[ ;D -- Just checked my trusty "Partridge" and learned that the term became very wide-spread when yanks on R & R leave from the Vietnam War "invaded" your country ;D.
DougC-3
Major
Major

Next

Return to General Discussion