Ooops

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

Re: Ooops

Postby Blade » Sun Mar 23, 2003 7:23 pm

Um before the war half were operational, most likely 3/4 of that half capable of combat ops. Now, well I don't think the Iraqi airforce will exist except for a few burning hulks within the next few days.
Last edited by Blade on Sun Mar 23, 2003 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dell 4550
P4 2.53Ghz
512MB DDR SDRAM
GeForceFX 5900 129MB
60GB HD @ 7200RPM
PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN
Blade
Major
Major

Postby Tequila Sunrise » Sun Mar 23, 2003 7:31 pm

I got another one about the numbers of casualties between wars, on the first day of the battle of the Somme the brittish army lost more men than all US forces combined lost in Vietnam
If someone with multiple personality disorder threatens suicide, is it a hostage situation?

Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed lest the ground shalt rise up and smite thee
Tequila Sunrise
Major
Major

Postby Smoke2much » Sun Mar 23, 2003 8:02 pm

During the 1996 European cup quarter final football match between England and Germany the number of fans in wembley stadium was approximately equal to numbers lost by both sides on the 1st June 1916.

The interesting thing about the battle of the Somme was that it ultimately won the first world war for the allies.  It is not a popular theory but runs something like this:-

The british attacked in 1916 with a poorly trained and untried army, the Kitchener Battalions.  The defending German troops were good experienced troops.  British loses throughout the campaign(battle) were high but the german loses were higher.  WW1 was fought on the pronciple of attrition.  The actual ground won or lost in any given advance was not important.  The number of enemy troops lost was the deciding factor in success or failure.  This is similar to american tactics/strategy in Vietnam.

By March 21st 1918 when the Kaiserschlact offensive was launched by the Germans they were forced to attack with the only good troops they had, by this time what was left of the British Army was battle hardened by 2 years of continuous offensive operations.  Combat is often said to be a darwinian process, the best survive the worst do not.  

When Kaiserschlact ground to a halt in April of 1918 the counter attack was devestating and virtually all of the German Sturmtruppen were wiped out.

Added to the US army that was now in position and attacking, the Germans never really stood a chance after their best troops had been lost on the Somme and at Verdun, killed by, in the case of the British at least, initially third rate troops.

Whilst this proved to be a war winning tactic it was understandably not popular and the regular soldiers never forgave high command for their decision to adopt it.

Please note that there may be innacuracies in dates and spelling.  I'm at work right now.  The basic pronciples in my opinion are however correct.

Will ;D
Who switched the lights off?
Smoke2much
Major
Major

Postby Jaffa » Sun Mar 23, 2003 8:52 pm

I find some offense that you guys think the Americans are so trigger happy.  The Tornado was an accident...it's transponder and pilot failed to reply to a squwak sent by the Patriot so it was shot down as enemy.  

Really, please dont jump to all these conclusions.  It is a tragic accident but please, stop with the bashing. :-*
Jaffa
Major
Major

Postby Oso » Sun Mar 23, 2003 10:34 pm

Yes, I took offense as well. ::)

In these times when something is coming at you - it is coming so fast that you do not have more than a split second to respond. Mistakes are to be made.

And not all of us are "Yanks"! I am from the South and resent the tag. ::)

Anyway - doesn't that make us about even for the Marines that were taken out by a Brit helicopter? How quickly we forget, eh? ;)
Oso

Postby Smoke2much » Sun Mar 23, 2003 10:40 pm

Rgr on that one Oso.  Fact is mistakes happen.  British media concentrates on mistakes you guy make, your media concentrates on mistakes we make.

Accidents are accidents.  

Will. ;D

Ps does "Oso" mean "bear"?
Smoke2much
Major
Major

Postby Oso » Sun Mar 23, 2003 11:00 pm

Your right on that one. I think the media would be happy only when they have every country in the world at odds with each other.

Yes, Oso is Spanish for bear. Kinda what I look like. At least that is what the ladies at the office call me - a big teddy bear.  ;)
Oso

Postby Smoke2much » Sun Mar 23, 2003 11:05 pm

Only knew that because I read far too much Tom Clancy...

So are you furry with little ears that stick out, or just built like a brick privy?

Will ;D ;D ;D
Smoke2much
Major
Major

Postby Oso » Sun Mar 23, 2003 11:16 pm

6 foot, 280 lbs, beer barrel chest and beer barrel stomach, full beard and furry ears ;D

funny thing is - I don't drink beer.
Oso

Postby Smoke2much » Sun Mar 23, 2003 11:36 pm

Good Answer
Smoke2much
Major
Major

Postby Oso » Sun Mar 23, 2003 11:37 pm

This is what I really look like - -

Oso

Postby Oso » Sun Mar 23, 2003 11:50 pm

At least that is what I used to look like. I spent the night at Michael Jackson's Never Never Land and caught a disease... well... this is what I look now.

Last edited by Oso on Sun Mar 23, 2003 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oso

Postby Smoke2much » Mon Mar 24, 2003 12:06 am

nice pics oso, you for one look better post Jackson treatment.

Will
Smoke2much
Major
Major

Postby Oso » Mon Mar 24, 2003 12:12 am

I guess it depends on which end of the bear you are comparing Michael to. ;D
Oso

Postby BFMF » Mon Mar 24, 2003 1:30 am

[quote]Yes, Oso is Spanish for bear. Kinda what I look like. At least that is what the ladies at the office call me - a big teddy bear.
BFMF
Colonel
Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion