War Virus

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

War Virus

Postby ozzy72 » Thu Mar 20, 2003 6:44 am

This has just been sent to me by a friend, you should read it!

Computer security experts are warning about a new e-mail virus that feeds on public interest in the war against Iraq. The Ganda worm comes as an e-mail attachment with a variety of subject lines such as "Spy pics" and "GO USA !!!!".
Some of these claim to contain pictures of Iraq taken by US spy satellites and others offer screensavers mocking President Bush.
"The author of this virus is exploiting interest in current affairs by deliberately presenting his virus in this way," said Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant for Sophos.
"At a time of international crisis it is understandable that computer users will be interested in finding out the latest news from the Middle East," he said.
Security firms say people may be tempted to share breaking news with their friends and colleagues via e-mail. But they are been warned to be extra vigilant.
"The message to users is simple: be suspicious of all unsolicited e-mails," said Mr Cluley.
The e-mail worm can send itself to all addresses in Microsoft Outlook as well as attempting to shut down anti-virus products.
Virus writers are becoming ever more cunning in how they persuade people to open infected messages.
Offering pictures of celebrities is a common ploy as is the use of big events such as the football World Cup and even the anniversary of the September 11 terror attacks.
Currently the Ganda worm is regarded as fairly low risk and has failed to make a great impact.
It is thought to have been written in Sweden, as hidden inside the virus is a grievance with the Swedish educational system.
"Coded by Uncle Roger in H
Last edited by ozzy72 on Thu Mar 20, 2003 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Re: War Virus

Postby Craig. » Thu Mar 20, 2003 6:54 am

thanks for the warning ozzy
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby WebbPA » Thu Mar 20, 2003 6:58 am

The message to users is simple: be suspicious of all unsolicited e-mails

Why can't people seem to learn this?
WebbPA
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Fly2e » Thu Mar 20, 2003 8:12 am

Thanks for the info Ozzy..
COMING SOON!
Fly2e
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pete » Thu Mar 20, 2003 11:40 am

The message for anyone who uses the net is ::

Have installed & update regularly a good Anti Virus package.

It's the best investment you can make in the PC world.

Take it from someone who receives dozens & sometimes 100's of virus's daily & I have never been infected since adopting this basic rule
Last edited by pete on Thu Mar 20, 2003 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby BFMF » Thu Mar 20, 2003 1:22 pm

Thanks for the warning mark
BFMF
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Thu Mar 20, 2003 2:16 pm

Whenever I get un-solicited mail in my Outlook express In-Box that I do not want, rather than double-clicking on them to open them first, I instantly right-click on them and select "Delete" or "Block Sender"
Does the very fact of actually clicking on the mail activate the virus?
Note that even right-clicking on the mail automatically opens the page BEFORE it can be deleted!
(N.B. I have up-to-date Norton Anti-Virus running in the background).

Cheers all...
Paul.
(England).
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby BFMF » Thu Mar 20, 2003 3:20 pm

Fozzer, Make sure you don't have the preview window enabled in Outlook, that way the only way to activate a virus is to actually double-click the message which opens another e-mail window
BFMF
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Smoke2much » Thu Mar 20, 2003 9:14 pm

I simply don't use outlook express.  I have a hotmail account which suits the majority of my needs and ensures that E-mails I haven't opened are not actually on my hard-drive.  Anything I don't recognise I delete.  Problem solved.

I was caught out by that virus a few months ago that pretended to be from someone you know.  That was a real pain.

Thanks for the heads up guys.

Will ;D
Who switched the lights off?
Smoke2much
Major
Major

Postby Guruswarmyoz » Sun Mar 23, 2003 10:43 pm

Well here's an address that should be immediately boked by all & sundry:

big@boss.com

If you ever get an email from this address, it will have an embedded attachment containing a virus. Now whoever has written the code that come with these emails knows what it is doing as it has (at times) gotten around both NAV and Zone alarm to pop up in the TEMP folder in Win XP - thats when NAV gets it. At the moment it is usually the Sobig worm, but things such as Klez & other destructive Virii have been sent.

99% of the time by blocking this address in either Outlook or Outlook Express will successfully block it.
Guruswarmyoz
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to General Discussion