my 3rd guitar

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

my 3rd guitar

Postby awash2002 » Mon Mar 17, 2003 5:54 am

Guys I have decided to buy a Fender Stratocaster guitar and get this I have 2 already not stratocasters the other brand of guitars not fender's I have always wanted a fender guitar but I could not afford one because it was to expencive for both the amp and the guitar
awash2002
Captain
Captain

Re: my 3rd guitar

Postby Hagar » Mon Mar 17, 2003 6:11 am

Hi Awash. I'm sure you will love it. There's nothing quite like a genuine Strat although I believe they're manufactured in Japan these days. I could only afford the Squier version but it's still a Strat. Mine is a few years old now & was also manufactured in Japan.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby lost sailor » Mon Mar 17, 2003 8:33 am

Strats are great guitars, I have an old '72 maple neck, and natural finish that I play upside down (I'm a Lefty) and a '68 "re-issue" made for left handed players with a maple neck and sunburst finish-- that I had the pickups wound to sound like David Gilmore (Pink Floyd) and the other one sounds like Jimi Hendrix (I hope this post comes out, there are other words appearing on the screen and I'm not typing up fifth  don't know what the hell it is)help if -things if -
lost sailor
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Tequila Sunrise » Mon Mar 17, 2003 11:22 am

If you want a good Strat try and get a Mustang their mexican but the factory that makes them was originally owned by fender, they got the best components from each batch and sold them off. Now fender heve pulled out and theyve been renamed ad last I heard they wre cheaper. However I'd rather have a Venture ;D
If someone with multiple personality disorder threatens suicide, is it a hostage situation?

Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed lest the ground shalt rise up and smite thee
Tequila Sunrise
Major
Major

Postby Maccers » Mon Mar 17, 2003 1:38 pm

I suppose it all depends on what kind of sound you want out of your guitar.
I'd probably never go for a Strat because (This what I've been told) The pickups are too soft.
When I've got the money and time to learn, im going to get one of these for my first
http://www.regentguitars.co.uk/acatalog ... lefty.html
Its the RGX 121 at the bottom (yes its lefty too ;)), Again what ive been told is that two humbuckers and a single coil make a real heavy sound, which is what im looking for 8)
Athlon XP 1800+, 1GB RAM, Asus V9560 FX 5600 256Mb, 40Gb HDD
Maccers
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Mon Mar 17, 2003 1:53 pm

Well Maccers, a Strat is pretty adaptable for any type of music. It really depends on the amp & effects you use. In my day humbuckers were more suitable for rhythm playing. I guess with the racket they call music these days any old plank of wood with a pickup on it would do.  :P

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby WebbPA » Mon Mar 17, 2003 2:53 pm

I guess with the racket they call music these days any old plank of wood with a pickup on it would do.

I think my mother said that about the Beatles.
WebbPA
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hagar » Mon Mar 17, 2003 3:28 pm

I think my mother said that about the Beatles.

I'm gradually turning into my Dad. Quite a frightening thought.  ::)

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby BMan1113VR » Mon Mar 17, 2003 4:32 pm

Hi Awash. I'm sure you will love it. There's nothing quite like a genuine Strat although I believe they're manufactured in Japan these days. I could only afford the Squier version but it's still a Strat. Mine is a few years old now & was also manufactured in Japan.

Yah, i have a USA Squier Affinity Strat (even though i am a bassist ;)) and it is amazing. personally, i think that any kind of fender strat is the best econamical guitar on the market
Sincerely,
Me

SimV NFL 2006-2007 Season Pool Co-Champion (157-99; 9-2)
SimV NFL 2005-2006 Season Pool Co-Champion (163-93)
SimV NFL 2004-2005 Season Pool Champion (1
BMan1113VR
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby awash2002 » Mon Mar 17, 2003 5:00 pm

i have found at my local guitar shop a fender with a sunburst finish I think I have I am not sure but I will check into it I think he wants like 120.00 for the fender strat and 110.00 for the amp but that is not bad
awash2002
Captain
Captain

Postby Deputy » Mon Mar 17, 2003 10:45 pm

Strats are great guitars, I have an old '72 maple neck, and natural finish that I play upside down [glb](I'm a Lefty)[/glb] and a '68 "re-issue" made for left handed players with a maple neck and sunburst finish-- that I had the pickups wound to sound like David Gilmore (Pink Floyd) and the other one sounds like Jimi Hendrix (I hope this post comes out, there are other words appearing on the screen and I'm not typing up fifth  don't know what the hell it is)help if -things if -

Wow, me too.
Bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when I come for you?

Iustita Omnibus
Justice for All

Women are: attractive, single, mentally stable. Pick two.
[img]http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/
Deputy
Major
Major

Postby Professor Brensec » Tue Mar 18, 2003 1:07 am

I did have quite a collection of Guitars up until a couple of years ago. The most at any one time would have been about 8, when I was still playing professionally.

I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, and surprisingly my fingers have been the last thing to be affected. I can still play but it's very painful. Generally only accoustic now.

I only have one accoustic, a 1979 Yamaha Jumbo. Nothing else can come near the sound, or the action.

I still have my newest electric, a Gibson ES335 (1988)
and I have my favourite, a (pre Jap, 1974-5) Ibanez Artist (pictured above........beautiful, but very heavy for long performances).

They are the only three I've got left now. But I only ever had one Fender electric, it was about a mid '80's Telecaster. I had a Fender accoustic Hummingbird.

Of the six or so guitars I had when I had to stop playing seriously, the others have been given to a friend (1) and a relative (2) (one of which was my Lennon Rickenbaker). I couldn't sell them to just anyone. They had to go to a good caring home. You all should understand that. You'll find most musicians who have a guitar for any length of time and they're fond of it, will give it to someone they know who will look after it and care for it, rather than sell to some rich brat who's going through a "faze", so daddy buys him one.

As for advice, awash, choice of guitar is a very personal thing. Preferences come more from playing as many as you can get your hands on, over a long period. Fenders ars good guitars (and expensive, as you say).
My favourite brand has always been Gibson (even more expensive!).
As someone else said, there are some cheaper versions of Strats around, and have been for about 10 or 15 years, but I don't know the technical differences or where they come from.
For instance, I do know that the price of Ibanez guitars went down considerably during the '70's (along with the quality) when they began being made in Japan. I don't know if that's still a bad thing.
I don't think anything good came from the "mass production" assembly line type manufacturing of guitars. They have always been a hand made instrument, at least among the better, worthwhile brands. Good Luck.

;D ;D ;)
Last edited by Professor Brensec on Tue Mar 18, 2003 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.ra.online-plus.biz

I cried because I had no shoes - until I saw a man who had no feet.
Professor Brensec
Major
Major

Postby awash2002 » Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:29 pm

I will look around but I have now decided to fix up my cameo guitar it is eletric the amp will be Fender I already have a fender strap for it and it should be cheaper to fix the one I got now then buy a new one.
awash2002
Captain
Captain

Return to General Discussion