Re: 10,943 reasons the French should help us

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

Postby Romulus111VADT » Mon Mar 10, 2003 3:44 pm

I agree with you on this. The French seem to have forgotten how many American lives it cost to free their country from another dictator that they tried to ignore.

You'd think they would have learned. One thing for sure...if not for the US and Britain...the French flag would have a Swastika right in the middle of it today.
Former member
Romulus111VADT
Major
Major

Postby Craig. » Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:11 pm

the post definatly makes a good point.
and i also agree with romulus. i think they tend to forget about the times we have helped them in the past. certain days like D-Day and a time frame of 39-45 seems to be left out of their history.
no offence intended towards the french people in general just the government,
and also. i have been to that grave site. along with a number of others around france and belgium.
Last edited by Craig. on Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby ozzy72 » Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:19 pm

Guys whilst I can understand American sentiment on this issue, and I have to agree that the French are perhaps being ,in your eyes, disloyal to an old friend, you have to take a slightly broader perspective. CNN DON'T report anything other than the American slant on the world.
France has a long history in the Middle East, and has no wish to upset the balance there, and has far more experience in the region than the US, and accordingly a better understanding of the Arabs and the way to get things done.
Whilst I feel that Saddam is a piece of vermin, and I fought in the last Gulf War, I don't feel that criticising a whole country for the failings of its political leaders is necessarily justified. I too feel strongly on the matter of France and its behaviour on a number of issues (illegal immigrants being helped into the UK for example), but let us not forget the many good things that they have contributed too. Criticising them for just one thing is hardly fair, and besides with the sheer number of British and American troops in the Gulf already, do we need to add to the complications? I mean, communications (both systems and language) etc.

So I will apologise to any of our French, or German members of this forum on your behalf.

Ozzy >:(

PS. Craig, err you guys didn't get involved in any way other than supplying war materials to Britain until the end of '41..... Dec the 7th if my history serves!
Last edited by ozzy72 on Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Craig. » Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:33 pm

hey ozzy i'm british. i think:)
my grand-dad was even involved in WW2 during the entire war including d-day landings.
Last edited by Craig. on Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby ozzy72 » Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:46 pm

Sorry Criag, momentary memory lapse there about your nationality. But yeah, we were in at the beginning, and my grandfathers and great uncles all fought 'the Hun' as they were known in those days.
However I have a number of German friends, and couldn't ask for nicer people to be around.
The concensus in Europe tends to be that Americans want everything their own way or they throw a tantrum (I'm not saying that, and have many good friends 'across the pond' whom I'd do anything for) if they don't get it.
But we have to respect other peoples right to express their opinion, even if it differs with ours. And Brads comment might offend some. I'm just trying to bring a little balance to the debate, and no I'm not pro-French! I'm also not pro-Bush or pro/anti-war.

Ozzy
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Craig. » Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:01 pm

a neutral stance? or something differant from either sides.
as for germans, i had a good friend who was german that i went to school with. as i said in my first post its not really a knock on the people of france or germany its more their governments, i had a great stay in france both times i have been there. then again i am prob with you on the whole neither pro or anti war stance
Last edited by Craig. on Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Zero_Bubble » Mon Mar 10, 2003 10:34 pm

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

From now on I will no longer eat French Fries, French Bread, Bratwurst or Sourkraut. I'm eating more boiled tomatoes, Pizza, and Arros Valenciana.

Zero Bubble
Zero_Bubble
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Deputy » Mon Mar 10, 2003 10:54 pm

It had nothing to do with boycotting anything with the name French attached.
Bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when I come for you?

Iustita Omnibus
Justice for All

Women are: attractive, single, mentally stable. Pick two.
[img]http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/
Deputy
Major
Major

Postby Felix/FFDS » Tue Mar 11, 2003 12:38 am

Officially - no - but for practical purposes, the US Navy was doing anti-submarine patrols, etc in the North Atlantic with some covert convoy protection carrying on.

PS. Craig, err you guys didn't get involved in any way other than supplying war materials to Britain until the end of '41..... Dec the 7th if my history serves!
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby SilverFox441 » Tue Mar 11, 2003 2:09 am

The famed "Neutrality patrols"...except they were more neutral to one side than the other. :)

Officially the USN was enforcing the prohibition against unrestricted submarine warfare. Submarines were legally required to surface and hoist colours before attacking. It might have been very interesting if one of the USN patrols had stumbled across a surfaced U-boat that was flying a battle ensign...
SilverFox441

Postby ozzy72 » Tue Mar 11, 2003 3:19 am

Guys, Brad has removed his original post out of respect for our European members, a great gesture IMHO.
So I'll lock this topic off before a lot of confusion breaks out because of people who didn't see the original post, and this turns into a mud-slinging match, because some don't know what is going on. None of us want that I'm sure, but I'd be interested in seeing a post on the Neutrality Patrols appear, sounds like the hub of a great discussion in there.

Ozzy ;)
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Return to General Discussion