Your ISP

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

Your ISP

Postby ozzy72 » Mon Mar 03, 2003 7:25 am

What does everyone think of their ISP? I've been without internet since Friday afternoon, and had less than no help (or good manners) from my provider (thank goodness the school system is working today), and they don't know when I'll be back up at home! They don't return calls, contradict each other, and are generally useless. Frankly they are depriving a village somewhere of its idiots, and I pay a fair bit of money to these twits!
How about the rest of you?

Ozzy >:(
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Your ISP

Postby Brett_Henderson » Mon Mar 03, 2003 8:02 am

I'm not familiar with how things work on that side of the ocean,, but over here,,good old capitalism reigns. There are so many companies fighting for business, that they bend over backwards to get/keep customers. If you don't need all the bells and whistles that come with ISP's like MSN or AOL,, there are HUGE national servers like Earthlink that will give you a good dial-up connection for $9.00/month   ;D

I've seen small local ISP's that will give you the first 10 hours per month FREE,, and then $7.00 if you go over that (unlimited). They're a good idea for back-up if your main service goes down.

THe only ISP's left with an "attitude" are broad-band (DSL or cable) where the service is still limited,, they know they have captive market and act that way  >:(

I tried the satellite route,,, although the speed is great (up/down) there is a 2 second delay (satellites are 25,000 miles away) that renders it useless for online gaming.

Right now I have MSN dial-up (came with my last computer) and Road-runner (cable) for gaming. No complaints yet  ;D
Brett_Henderson
Major
Major

Postby Smoke2much » Mon Mar 03, 2003 10:11 am

I've had no issues with mine.  I forgot my password after my last meltdown and they gave it to me with some hefty security checks, which I have no problem with as I don't want others using my details for dodgy downloads.

I had some problems with bad connections when I used a dial up modem but since going ISDN no bother at all.

Will ;D
Who switched the lights off?
Smoke2much
Major
Major

Postby Deputy » Mon Mar 03, 2003 1:44 pm

I would probably be banned if I told you what I honestly think of my ISP.
Bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when I come for you?

Iustita Omnibus
Justice for All

Women are: attractive, single, mentally stable. Pick two.
[img]http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/
Deputy
Major
Major

Postby Tequila Sunrise » Mon Mar 03, 2003 2:04 pm

well mines is NTL and theres a post on the jokes forum that pretty much sums it up >:(
If someone with multiple personality disorder threatens suicide, is it a hostage situation?

Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed lest the ground shalt rise up and smite thee
Tequila Sunrise
Major
Major

Postby Iroquois » Mon Mar 03, 2003 3:48 pm

I've been running Cogeco Highspeed Cable for about two months now and have had no problems. It's fast and it always works.

I had Interhop dial-up before that and it was just crap. Interhop is owned by Telehop, a small and relatively unheard of Totonto phone company. There server was always down and they always gave my parents billing trouble. They were always rude to top it off.  I think they finally got killed by the big three telecommunications giants, being Bell Canada, Rodgers Cable, and Cogeco Cable.  

Canada is the most "wired" nation in the Western World so we have a right to expect a lot from cable and internet providers.
[center]I only pretend to know what I'm talking about. Heck, that's what lawyers, car mechanics, and IT professionals do everyday. ;)
The Rig:
AMD Athlon XP2000+ Palomino, ECS K7S5A 3.1, 1GB PC2700 DDR, Geforce FX5200 128mb, SB Live P
Iroquois
Major
Major

Postby WebbPA » Mon Mar 03, 2003 4:29 pm

I have BellSouth DSL.  The only good thing I can say about it is that the service is fast.  You can test your speed here: http://www.toast.net/performance/.

Customer support is nonexistent.  Voice telephone numbers are for installation only.  If you can't find what you're looking for on one of the FAQ pages you're out of luck.

I went on a trip a while ago and wanted to find a local dial up number.  2 emails to customer support went unanswered.  After an hour or so I found the local numbers buried in the website.  Tallahassee, FL is not in the BellSouth system (too far north?) so there is no local dial up access - not even an 800 number.

I have a one year commitment with BellSouth.  After that I'm back to Earthlink.
WebbPA
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Maccers » Mon Mar 03, 2003 5:49 pm

[color=Green]I'm lucky enough to have Broadband. I can't compain about my current tarrif compared to the previous.. they both were BT Openworld.
BT Anytime was a stack of pants for a 56k dialup! download speeds averaged around 3-7 kbps, the least visited of sites took a century to load, you could only stay on for a max. of 2hrs at a time, no more than 4 times a day (or face extra charges >:() and in the rare ocasion you got connected, you probably got chucked off again fairly soon.
My ADSL server, BT Openworld Broadband, is pretty fast. download speeds are normaly 20-200 kbps. I can dial in in a matter of seconds and stay on for weeks at a time. But its not exactly cheap though, given how new it is in Europe.
Athlon XP 1800+, 1GB RAM, Asus V9560 FX 5600 256Mb, 40Gb HDD
Maccers
Major
Major

Postby Loafing Smurf » Mon Mar 03, 2003 7:17 pm

For a second I thought you (being a teacher) were talking about an Independent Study Project (ISP). My mind has been circling around school lately.

Anyways, I got DSL. I had to reset the modem just to get it working again. It happens like every few months, where I have to reset the modem just to get it going, I dont know why but it just happens.
Loafing Smurf
Major
Major

Postby TJ_Gumby » Mon Mar 03, 2003 9:30 pm

I use Shaw Cable who bought out Rogers in western Canada. I pay alot, but the service is nothing short of excellent! The tech support is very good and the staff are always polite and curtious. They are in stiff competion with Telus (BC Tell) DSL, so this may be why service is so good. I tried dial-up and i can't see how anyone could put up with that rubbish. ::)
TJ_Gumby
Captain
Captain

Postby ozzy72 » Tue Mar 04, 2003 5:42 am

I CAN'T believe these monkeys. I've just been informed if I'm lucky I might be back up by Friday afternoon, or maybe next week! ****ing hell. Bunch of useless twits, they really are. And they aren't even discounting the missing week from my bill even though it is their fault! So they're thieving stupid muppets too boot. I'm v.unhappy, and envious of all you lucky people over in the States for having such quality service. Think I'm going to commit an act of unadulterated evil to these wallies over the weekend........

Ozzy >:( >:( >:(
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby loomex » Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:15 pm

I had roadrunner (cable), but found I could not afford it, so I want back to dial-up. I am using BlueLight.com...yes the one Kmart had. It is owned by another company but still is good. Getting 45-50 Kbps and at $9 a month...never had a problem with it
Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) ,2.70 gigahertz AMD Phenom II X6 1045T(6-core), two HD (1TB and 500GB), 8gb RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5570,
loomex
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Wed Mar 05, 2003 2:36 pm

[quote][color=Green]I'm lucky enough to have Broadband. I can't compain about my current tarrif compared to the previous.. they both were BT Openworld.
BT Anytime was a stack of pants for a 56k dialup! download speeds averaged around 3-7 kbps, the least visited of sites took a century to load, you could only stay on for a max. of 2hrs at a time, no more than 4 times a day (or face extra charges >:() and in the rare ocasion you got connected, you probably got chucked off again fairly soon.
My ADSL server, BT Openworld Broadband, is pretty fast. download speeds are normaly 20-200 kbps. I can dial in in a matter of seconds and stay on for weeks at a time. But its not exactly cheap though, given how new it is in Europe.
Last edited by Fozzer on Wed Mar 05, 2003 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Maccers » Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:00 pm

I remember Paul, (4-Series Scania), got thrown off BT Openworld, (Anytime?), for .
Would you believe that!!!

I can believe that, I got several threatining letters from BT saying they would cut me off.
I was desperate to have Blueyonder Broadband (freeserve isn't it) because a) its not BT, b) its reliable and c) its cheaper.
its not available here in 'the shire'. descrimination against hobbits! >:( (lol) so BT was the only option. :-/
meh. I'd rather have this than a 56k, and when i go to university in september i get T3 for a tenner a month! ;D 8)
Athlon XP 1800+, 1GB RAM, Asus V9560 FX 5600 256Mb, 40Gb HDD
Maccers
Major
Major

Postby BFMF » Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:09 pm

I don't have any problems with my ISP, and the owner is very friendly! ;D 8)

The one thing that does tick me off is that I can only get slow connections because of the phone company :-/ :'(
Last edited by BFMF on Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BFMF
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to General Discussion