Pop-up killer!

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

Pop-up killer!

Postby Maccers » Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:36 am

I'm getting real fed-up with these anoying pop-ups! Just because im playing FS or somthing, one appears from a background program and shuts the game down.
I already have a pretty rubbish one (free surfer II) which will close 1 in 10 popups.
Can anyone recomend a ad killer that actualy works?
Athlon XP 1800+, 1GB RAM, Asus V9560 FX 5600 256Mb, 40Gb HDD
Maccers
Major
Major

Re: Pop-up killer!

Postby WebbPA » Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:44 am

There's a pretty good thread going on over here

http://help.lockergnome.com/index.php?a ... 7027c1fc55

I'm hesitant to recommend one because no matter what I say someone will say it sucks and his is 1000% better.
WebbPA
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Craig. » Tue Feb 25, 2003 4:55 pm

on the subject, does anyone know how to get rid of those annoying messenger pop-ups that appear from no where even when msn isnt open. to many times have i spent hours on sim city4 without saving it only to have that happen and the game crash
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby OakRaiders » Tue Feb 25, 2003 9:33 pm

I hear ya i hate spam popUps
OakRaiders
Captain
Captain

Postby Professor Brensec » Fri Feb 28, 2003 4:10 am

I'm getting real fed-up with these anoying pop-ups! Just because im playing FS or somthing, one appears from a background program and shuts the game down.
I already have a pretty rubbish one (free surfer II) which will close 1 in 10 popups.
Can anyone recomend a ad killer that actualy works?

Are you talking about popups while you are logged on the Net but idle?

I have used a few P.C.'s here and have never had an add or any undesirable pop up, unless I'm actually changing web pages. Something will come up along with the new page. Maybe it's not a big problem in Australia.

One thing that really annoys me is the unsolicited email I get. I can go into my email box to check responses to SimV forums but twice the number of emails are from sex places or quick money schemes etc. Is there something you can do to stop them?
http://www.ra.online-plus.biz

I cried because I had no shoes - until I saw a man who had no feet.
Professor Brensec
Major
Major

Postby Craig. » Fri Feb 28, 2003 4:47 am

i found recently if you unsubscribe from one or two of them the number you get drop a bit as they seem to all be interconnected
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:13 pm

....One thing that really annoys me is the unsolicited email I get. I can go into my email box to check responses to SimV forums but twice the number of emails are from sex places or quick money schemes etc. Is there something you can do to stop them?

Hi Bren...

I contacted my ISP to see if they could remove them at their end before sending them to me in Outlook Express.
No, they said, and told me to go to < Message > Block Sender for each one as I get them.
The trouble is the senders have got around that one by posting them with different names each time...
Today it's Angela@, tomorrow it's Melanie@, the next day it's Lucy@, and so it goes on... :'(
The only other way, as my ISP suggested, is to go to < Message > Message Rules and type different words
Last edited by Fozzer on Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Birdie2112 » Fri Feb 28, 2003 6:44 pm

Fozzer is right, a recent test by PC Mag found that over half (i think it was like 56%) of all spam is just to see if somebody is at that address.....what most of them are doing, is using a program that randomly sends out e-mail to randam names, and if they here from you, they know their is someone at that address
Birdie2112
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Sat Mar 01, 2003 7:45 am

...another thing I have done, (although it's probably a bit late now), is to remove ALL references to my E-Mail address in my Profile on all my registered Web Forums.
I've got a funny feeling that these aggravating sites are looking through my Profiles to get access to my Address..... :'(...?
What do you reckon...?
I only tell my very best friends my Mail Address now.. ;D...!

Cheers...
Paul.
(England).
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Maccers » Sat Mar 01, 2003 3:54 pm

...another thing I have done, (although it's probably a bit late now), is to remove ALL references to my E-Mail address in my Profile on all my registered Web Forums.
I've got a funny feeling that these aggravating sites are looking through my Profiles to get access to my Address..... :'(...?
What do you reckon...?

I used to do that for these forums (me... anywhere else? ;)) but after changing my address 4 times and getting exactly the same stuff... i figured i might as well let the ones i know, know my email so they can send friendly spam to me ;D
LOL
Athlon XP 1800+, 1GB RAM, Asus V9560 FX 5600 256Mb, 40Gb HDD
Maccers
Major
Major

Return to General Discussion