Classical

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

Re: Classical

Postby Crumbso » Fri Feb 21, 2003 10:24 am

Good to hear.

I'm into all kinds of music ranging from pop to rock (proper rock like led zeppelin) to metalica to classic.

Classical will always be the real music though.
Crumbso
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby WebbPA » Sat Feb 22, 2003 11:12 pm

Some good movie music:

2001 - A Space Odyssey - great treatments of Also Sprach Zarathustra and Blue Danube.  Other wierd stuff cuz Kubrick was a classical music freak.

Clockwork Orange (Kubrick) - Beethoven's 9th like you've never heard it before.  Walter/Wendy Carlos later released a complete version of the synthesyzer symphony.  Also, Pomp and Circumstance #4 (not the one you're used to).

Overlooked but great -

Antonio Vivaldi - Gloria.  There's a story behind the fact that it's all female voices.

Bach - Concerto for 2 violins (BMV 1043).  Awesome!
WebbPA
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Professor Brensec » Sun Feb 23, 2003 1:10 am

I must admit I have a very strong liking for what might be called "Chamber Music" in the UK or US.

Basically, but not exclusively, string quartets. There have been a number of suites and odd pieces composed in the last 50 years.

There is also an Aussie named John Williams who is reknowned as one of, if not the  best, classical Guitarist in the world. He lives in the UK, but still has his instruments made by a bloke who lives in the bush about 200 miles from Sydney. Williams has done some beautiful albums of both compostions especially for guitar and his renditions of other beautiful, older pieces with his guitar/s along with a string quartet or similar arrangement. He has and does tour Europe extensively, at least lately.
One of the best is his take on "Cavatina".  8) ;D :D ;)
http://www.ra.online-plus.biz

I cried because I had no shoes - until I saw a man who had no feet.
Professor Brensec
Major
Major

Postby Crumbso » Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:38 pm

I agree I've never been into chamber music or any music from that period but there are a few nice piece that came out of the era (mainly from bach.)

I forgot to mention I like modern classical (if you catch my drift.) Mostly shostakovich (is that how it's spelled ??? ).

My favourite player is Martha Argerich (absolutely brilliant tho only person who can play Rachmaninov's
Crumbso
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Romulus111VADT » Thu Feb 27, 2003 7:57 pm

My favoritre is "Blue Danube" (1867) by Johann Strauss Jr.(1825-1899).

Most anything by:

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756-1791).

Ludwig van Beethoven. (1770 - 1827).

Richard Wagner (1813-83), like Ozzy...I got rather fond of  Ride of the Valkyries in Vietnam.

George Frideric Handel (1685-1759), I really like "Messiah" Composed: August 22 - September 14, 1741

Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750), I particularly like his harpsichord and organ works.

So fair to say I like just about all classical music. ;D
Former member
Romulus111VADT
Major
Major

Postby WebbPA » Thu Feb 27, 2003 8:03 pm

Has anyone ever heard of Opera Babes - supposedly very big in UK?
WebbPA
Ground hog
Ground hog

Previous

Return to General Discussion