"Reality" TV

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

"Reality" TV

Postby WebbPA » Sat Feb 22, 2003 10:03 pm

Most of us consider ourselves to be reasonable, intelligent people.  So maybe you can help me.

Why would anyone watch a "reality" tv show that in fact has nothing to do with reality.  People stuck on islands, marrying people they don't know, eating worms, etc.

I think the final nail in the coffin was "I'm a celebrity, get me out of here" where none of the people are actual celebrities.

I've seen maybe an hour of various reality tv shows while channel surfing and they all bring up the same question - who would watch this drivel?

And don't tell me no one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public - the XFL did.
WebbPA
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: "Reality" TV

Postby denishc » Sat Feb 22, 2003 11:47 pm

For one thing, TV isn't about "reality".  Its about advertising!
 Programs that are entertaining attrack the most viewers, the more viewers the more exposure your product or service gets, the more valuable the ad time during these programs become, for both the network and advertiser.
 Unfortunatly some viewers belive watching people suffer is entertaining, or that "Marring a Millionaire" is romantic.  In some respects these programs pander to our darker sides.
 As for the networks, it saves on cost.  No sets, no scripts, no rehearsing, no "real" actors or "real" actor salaries.  The networks love it!!!
 "Reality" programming, like telephone solicitors, will never go away.  Not as long as there is someone willing to watch or listen.
denishc
Captain
Captain

Postby Smoke2much » Sun Feb 23, 2003 12:09 am

I would agree with you except that here in the UK we have the good ole' BBC which has no advertising on it and that carries some "reality tv".

I think it comes down to the lowest common demnominator theory.  The vast majority of the general public are actualy quite stupid and require TV with no actual content to keep them happy.  Reality TV shows are cheap to make and contain confrontation and enough "hooks" to keep people interested in watching.

I personally exercise my right of choice and refuse to watch the darn things as I find them trite and a pointless waste of time.  There are some people who say the same about flight sims though......

Horses for courses I suppose.
Who switched the lights off?
Smoke2much
Major
Major

Postby WebbPA » Sun Feb 23, 2003 12:26 am

I agree with your theories about advertising, and these shows are doubltless cheap to make - but a "hook"?

These things couldn't hold my interest until I thought the commercial on the other station was over.  Who cares whether the guy can eat 10 or 20 worms before he pukes?  And I know the guy isn't going to marry the girl tonight - if I cared at all why not just wait until the last episode?
WebbPA
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby ozzy72 » Sun Feb 23, 2003 4:09 am

We recently got these programs here. After successfully avoiding them in Britain they chased me here!
All I can say is thank God for CFS1 & 3, and FS2k2, I exercise my right to play these rather than watch drivel!

Ozzy ;D
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby BFMF » Sun Feb 23, 2003 12:28 pm

Reality shows are pointless. And there's so many of them! >:(
BFMF
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Tequila Sunrise » Sun Feb 23, 2003 12:49 pm

I agre totally with whats ben said, but I can't beleive noone has mentioned "Big Brother" yet. Theres another one just started over here, there were 20 odd people being taken through a jungle on a n SAS survival course, day 4 and 10 have quit  ;D.
If someone with multiple personality disorder threatens suicide, is it a hostage situation?

Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed lest the ground shalt rise up and smite thee
Tequila Sunrise
Major
Major

Postby Deputy » Sun Feb 23, 2003 1:04 pm

[quote]
Bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when I come for you?

Iustita Omnibus
Justice for All

Women are: attractive, single, mentally stable. Pick two.
[img]http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/
Deputy
Major
Major

Postby Smoke2much » Sun Feb 23, 2003 1:11 pm

By a "hook" I meant that they have things in them to encourage viewers to watch the next episode.

"Will Tony file his toenails, or has Sharon's ploy to hide the nail scissors been succesful...  Tune in next time etc"

This wouldn't work woth a reasonably intelligent person but as I stated these shows are aimed at the stupid.

Will ;D
Who switched the lights off?
Smoke2much
Major
Major

Postby BFMF » Sun Feb 23, 2003 4:05 pm

Has anyone heard of the reality shows "The Batchelor" or the "Batchlorette"?

Who in their right mind would want to do in a short amount of time just to get married ??? ::)
BFMF
Colonel
Colonel

Postby OakRaiders » Sun Feb 23, 2003 8:30 pm

Reality TV it's all nonsens the writters have gone over board with all these crazy ideas it's all crap if you ask me!
OakRaiders
Captain
Captain

Postby DanielF » Sun Feb 23, 2003 9:41 pm

Well, I liked the first Surviver, but other than that, most "Reality" TV has been unrealistic.  It's just a reality that you have to eat 50 worms in two minutes...  ::)

[quote]
"Will Tony file his toenails, or has Sharon's ploy to hide the nail scissors been succesful...
FS Evolution

DanielF
DanielF
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby WebbPA » Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:18 pm

How about one where the guy picks the plain, flat chested girl because she's pleasant and they get along well?   NEVER HAPPEN.
WebbPA
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby DanielF » Mon Feb 24, 2003 4:28 pm

[quote]How about one where the guy picks the plain, flat chested girl because she's pleasant and they get along well?
FS Evolution

DanielF
DanielF
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Redsunfox » Wed Feb 26, 2003 3:24 am

;D

Big Brother?  sounds just like Orwell  (George) we
 already have  Big Brother it's called Homeland Security!
Redsunfox
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Next

Return to General Discussion