Spitfire/Supermarine

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

Re: Spitfire/Supermarine

Postby Woodlouse2002 » Sun Feb 23, 2003 6:18 pm

All aeroplanes sound different.

I prefer Hurricanes to spits. I personally like they way they look better. It looks far more rugged that the Spitfire. Also it could turn almost as tight could take loads more damage had better firepower (Even though they both had 8 .303's the Hurricanse were bunced close toghter meaning a devastating arsenal) and was more stable. The Hurricane saved the civilised world. Because if we didn't have it then we would have lost the battle of britain. Meaning that we would have been invaded. Meaning that germany would have been able to put more might into invading russia. Also the Russians would not have had the Hurricane on lend lease so there war would have been jepordised. And in North Africa and asia. The Hurricane in North Africa destroyed almost 1/2 of the afrika korps tanks. And in Asia it did great work to stop the Japs in Burma and places like that.

It shot down more enemy aircraft than any other in history and was the perfect fighterbomber as well as fighter.

Which is why its the best aircraft in history. ;)
Woodlouse2002 PITA and BAR!!!!!!!!

Our Sovereign Lord the King chargeth and commandeth all persons, being assembled, immediately to disperse themselves, and peaceably to depart to their habitations, or to their lawful business, upon the pains c
Woodlouse2002
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Professor Brensec » Sun Feb 23, 2003 8:32 pm

I think we've heard your "Hurricane - Saviour of the Civilised World" speach before, Woody.  ;D ;D

Seriously, I think it is the easiest plane to fly, I think it out turns the Spit actually. As far as your comment goes about the level of armament: I was reading a page on the net a few weeks ago which did a very (it claimed the first) definitive study of WWII Aircraft armaments, the different calibres, the types of projectile and they came up with the fairest way to judge the level of armament. By the weight of lead delivered over a period of time.

In this study, I saw it was amazing the weight of ammo that could be thrown at another plane in a second or ten seconds (of course they had to hit). I don't recall exactly, but the Hurricane featured high on the "effectiveness" list with it's 8 x 303 version. I'll try to find the page.  ;D ;D ;)
http://www.ra.online-plus.biz

I cried because I had no shoes - until I saw a man who had no feet.
Professor Brensec
Major
Major

Postby HawkerTempest5 » Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:04 pm

I would guess that the eight close grouped .50's of the P-47 or four .303's and four 20mm's in the nose of a Mosquito would be high on that list also.
Flying Legends
HawkerTempest5
Major
Major

Postby Woodlouse2002 » Mon Feb 24, 2003 2:20 pm

[quote]I think we've heard your "Hurricane - Saviour of the Civilised World" speach before, Woody.
Woodlouse2002 PITA and BAR!!!!!!!!

Our Sovereign Lord the King chargeth and commandeth all persons, being assembled, immediately to disperse themselves, and peaceably to depart to their habitations, or to their lawful business, upon the pains c
Woodlouse2002
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Professor Brensec » Mon Feb 24, 2003 9:55 pm

As for planes with fire power. The Hurricane MkIIB must be high up there with its 12 .303 mgs. Also the Typhoon, Tempest, P47, Mosquito. The FW190 must be up there too...

I would like to see the findings.

There is a wealth of information on fighter armaments on this page, with regard to types, calibres, velocity, introduction and performance charts. Eat it up! ;D :P

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/ ... un-pe.html

If you use the "Q' and "M" factors as the method to compare the overall efficiency of a gun (as explained in the introduction), there are a few surprises as to the effectiveness of some supposedly "better" armament.

Also links from the home page will take you to sections on particular aircraft and all aspects of them.
Last edited by Professor Brensec on Mon Feb 24, 2003 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.ra.online-plus.biz

I cried because I had no shoes - until I saw a man who had no feet.
Professor Brensec
Major
Major

Previous

Return to General Discussion