Helio Lovers (Cormorant)

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

Helio Lovers (Cormorant)

Postby Splash » Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:56 pm

;D For you helicopter lovers, the boys from 103 SAR in Gander NF with the Cormorant are breakin records every few days, hauled 20 people off a Fishin' Boat (2 at a time) off the south coast couple of days ago in wicked, wicked weather.  They broke the previous one which was only a couple of weeks (I believe) earlier.  The new beastie is really something, but only as good as the guys and girls flyin and haulin' ;D ;D ;D
Splash
Splash

Re: Helio Lovers (Cormorant)

Postby ozzy72 » Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:47 pm

Anyone in SAR is totally barking mad!
They are also fantastically talented, brave and dedicated.
But definately mad.

Ozzy
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Splash » Tue Feb 18, 2003 3:33 pm

;DYep, I worked with em'.  They're all heros - toughest of the tough - They are takin' a beatin' from the prop wash when winched up and down on the the new beastie (and a winch delay/stop & start problem that is being looked at) but they get more time over the site and more distance with this one.  Rah, Rah, Rah for all SAR Techs!!!!! ;D ;D ;D
Splash
Splash

Postby Rifleman » Wed Feb 19, 2003 3:07 am

Back in the summer, before the Cormorant came on strength, I was standing 100 ft from the runway at Courtenay Airpark, when one did two touch-and-goes and this wasn't the only occasion it occured....we're are only a few miles from Comox, where they were being worked up and crews were training daily.....sadly, when the instructor in the right seat waved to me, I didn't have my camera.
Rifleman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Splash » Wed Feb 19, 2003 11:20 am

;DYeah, Rifleman, I live near the base at Gander, see them on a regular basis doin' their thing.  My neighbour is a tech and they drop him off once in awhile near our back yard.  It was sad to see the Labrador go, but this one is so powerful a platform for search and rescue now.  I just wish I could have flown on a Cormorant before I retired. ;D ;D ;D
Splash
Splash

Return to General Discussion