1/2 Scale wood model

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

1/2 Scale wood model

Postby briancar89 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:00 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been thinking of making a half scale (roughly) bi-plane for my yard, nothing too elaborate, but based off the Curtiss Jenny. I'd be using 2X4s or something similar for the frame, and then plywood for the wings and the larger pieces of the fuselage and tail. Once it's all put together I'm going to paint it, and hopefully get some lights for it. I'm wondering if anyone has ever seen anything similar to this? I've looked for ideas and plans online but all I can seem to find is plans for 1/6 scale designs for RC planes. Maybe I'm just not using the right words to google, or looking in the wrong places?

Thanks!
briancar89
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: 1/2 Scale wood model

Postby turbodak » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:45 pm

If you have plans already but they are only 1/6 scale, you have to enlarge them 3 times to get a 1/2 scale plan.

However, you should talk to the Western North Carolina Air Museum (westernnorthcarolinaairmuseum.com) as they have a 5/8 scale replica of a Curtiss Jenny. The plans for it were drawn by a Dennis Wiley of Colorado and, he may be able to help you.

Otherwise talk to the Experimental Aircraft Association (if you're in the U.S.) or the Light Aircraft Association (if you're in the U.K.)

You may also want to look at mywoodenairplane.com on the highs and lows of building a (flying) aircraft.

I hope this helps.

Regards.
turbodak
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: 1/2 Scale wood model

Postby briancar89 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:33 am

That does look pretty nice, thanks for the link! I'm not looking to make anything that flies (even though I'd love to) but just a decoration for my yard. I've already got white edge lights for my driveway, and blue edge lights for my walkways, and obstruction lights on each end of the house :D
briancar89
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to General Discussion