who's who....

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

who's who....

Postby yancovitch » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:04 pm

thought maybe others may like to contribute, i'm always curious about the life paths of others here..........
me........77 now.....born montreal ...moved to vancouver ...now in burns lake bc...........played piano here and there, (18 years accompanying opera singers at the pan pacific hotel on weekends in vancouver) while building model ships, planes and things, and managing apt. buildings.....just figuring out now, the correct technique of playing the piano....''never give up-never give up''.....simply, an overgrown teenager.....got on a spiritual path in the early 70's and am a vegetarian....ha...so lucky to have a very tolerant wife... yea!.....
yancovitch
Major
Major

Location: born montreal, lived vancouver, now live in burns lake bc.

Re: who's who....

Postby yancovitch » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:28 pm

i asked pete to remove this post if possible, as i think it would end up being too much of a hassle for people....and many prefer their privacy.....
yancovitch
Major
Major

Postby Flacke » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:09 pm

yancovitch wrote:i asked pete to remove this post if possible, as i think it would end up being too much of a hassle for people....and many prefer their privacy.....

Hi, this post is just fine by me. Its nice to know the people that we interact with, thanks.
Flacke
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby yancovitch » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:07 am

thanks flacke.....i really think there are some interesting fellows here, with varied backgrounds, and experiences....but the inability to edit makes it difficult, eg. as i wanted to remove my pic, or really reduce it, but i timed out, cause i got pulled away for a bit.....and it's nice to have a general picture of a person when they post.......but this may end up being a too complicated thing, although my intentions were good....anyways, we'll see...maybe pete has some ideas.....either way....whatever...all's good......
yancovitch
Major
Major

Postby Steve M » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:20 pm

For me it all started to spool up in 1952 when I jumped out of mama with my tap shoes on and glitter encrusted diapers. My father was a minister in a lovely place to raise children. That is until I reached my teen years. I suppose I was the most unruly, unholy teenager a minister could ever have. When Dad would come to bail me out of jail he always had his bible with him. God I miss him 50 years later. More on topic though I grew up and went through a couple of wives, finally settling down in Ontario and have a really decent wife. So I'm 65 until next month and I work in construction with no immediate plans of stopping. I too have built R/C boats and airplanes but found it too expensive to do much more.

Your post is fine as it is. No need to worry. As near as I can remember here is a TLDR. Salina Kansas, Junction city Kansas, Upper peninsula Michigan, Waukegan Illinois, Wildwood Illinois, New Munster Wisconson, North Carolina, Ontario Ca. I like it here were I live now and that's all that counts with me.
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby Apex » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:40 am

Oh no, leave this post.

There is no correct way to play the piano in the literal definition of "correct". Technique will vary from one school of thought to another. For example, those trained via the School of Czerny will play in a very traditional style with very traditional technique. Other ideas include using arm weight to reinforce fingering. But consider this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJp5jk-e9ec

The greatest classical pianist of all time, Glenn Gould, ripping thru Bach his way, slumped, sitting very low, fingers flying, humming along, sometimes nose to the keyboard, without any reference score, and playing every single note with sub consciously calculated accuracy. Every single note. This video is unedited, it's on the spot real time.

In my musical travels through guitar (rock, jazz, classical) and keyboards (Baroque repertoire), I have found "technique" to be of the utmost importance. But technique takes on many different forms. If your technique is working for you, then it's the correct technique. The end justifies the means.
Apex
Major
Major

Postby yancovitch » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:18 am

wow..that's a surprise.....yea...''HE'', who's every finger is an instrument in itself.....and that mind....amazing....me...the opposite....so much fragmentation ...taken me my whole life putting humpty dumpty back together again.....solution in my case....extreme legato practicing, being glued to the keys.....strict tempo....working to repair and join all those broken axons :)....as of this year, i can finally truly enjoy playing without effort, and am learning pieces i could never play my whole life.....in other words for anyone....never give up!!...................aside from the italian concerto, and a few preludes and fugues, which i'm working on, i'm basically a romantic schmaltzy guy.........sorry :D
yancovitch
Major
Major

Return to General Discussion