sci fi

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

sci fi

Postby yancovitch » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:37 am

just thought i'd mention a couple sci-fi movies that really impressed me in the past....my favorite was ''forbidden planet''.....very intelligent, great effects, a mystery which kept one riveted...ahead of it's time.......
another was a tv movie which maybe no one here saw, which was called the martian chronicles with rock hudson.....a great concept.....i have a friend who often gets so impressed by the vibes and personalities of others, that she constantly has to gather herself back together :)
movies these days, are just a pile of shootem up video games on the big screen.....the awe, wonder, and mystery, take a back seat....or is totally absent......the first star war movies were quite good though....after that, forget it.....oh...of course, avatar was impressive.......was just curious about other's opinions....
yancovitch
Major
Major

Location: born montreal, lived vancouver, now live in burns lake bc.

Re: sci fi

Postby B0ikat » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:39 pm

There's a lot of great sci-fi out there, both new and classic, like "2001: A Space Odyssey" (50 years ago, and still stands out!). Another favorite is "Fantastic Voyage", and not just because Raquel Welch was in it. Liked the design of the Proteuse sub.

In one sense, it's a shame that newer moves go for the "shoot-em-up" route, on the other hand, the "reboot syndrome" is a mixed bag. Robocop should have been left alone, but I'm curious to see Cameron's reboot of "Forbidden Planet" (It's in the works, IIRC, a three-part, pre-prequel, prequel, and remake of the original. I think a sequel to the original could be done, since the Krell had explored the galaxy, there might be a host of old Krell outposts scattered around... But I digress.. :)
B0ikat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Shadowcaster » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:46 pm

One of my favourites was The Day the Earth Caught Fire, very well acted and interesting because Arthur Christiansen (former editor of the Daily Express) played Jeff Jefferson, as the editor of the Daily Express and the documentary style of the film. Others include This Island Earth, Barbarella, War Games, most of the new Marvel films, Close Encounters of the Third Kind (loved the scene with the pipe tones where the windows blew out), 2010: The Year We Make Contact, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (The start of green screen and Gwyneth Paltrow) and Capricorn One (Great plane chase with Telly Savalas "Remember I Get Half")

Cheers
Rich
All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

Spike Milligan
Shadowcaster
Major
Major

Postby Nighthawk117 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:40 pm

I enjoy watching the old sci fi. I appreciate how good they did the effects with what they had at the time. "Them" was a good radiation big bug movie. Magnetic Monster was a good one as well. Forbidden planet is one of my favorites. I remember watching warren stevens "doc" as rojan in star trek TOS by any other name not sure how I would feel about a reboot but it would be interesting to watch the saga unfold. beginning with the bellerephon leaving earth for Altair 4 a sequel would be cool if the krell managed to have a colony somewhere. It seems that "exploration and adventure has taken a back seat to shoot em up and blew them to bits
Nighthawk117
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby napamule » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:02 pm

I think I am going to be FIRST on this one: 'Third Man' (1949). Now THAT was a movie. To this day I still remember the 'Third Man Theme' music. They don't make them like that anymore. Movies now have computer generated 'effects' (ie: 'video game') which you couldn't pay me to watch. What did I win?
Chuck B
Napamule
napamule
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby yancovitch » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:17 pm

yea...i was going to mention 'this island earth' too....yea.....so great to see those tidbits of nostalgia....
yancovitch
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:35 am

The thing is, with me.....

The older I get the more pessimistic I become. so anything which doesn't make sense to me quickly loses my interest!

The first Star Wars film, using paper spaceships dangling on the end of bits of string, was acceptable....

...but for me, nowadays, we are being fooled with fancy computer graphics for everything, where it's difficult to tell fact from fiction.

(Typical example: Science documentaries regarding; "Space").

I spend a lot of time nowadays arguing with my TV Screen, telling it that what I see before me is a load of old codswallop!

For Sci-fi stuff, the first "TRON" film was, and still is, one of my favourite films...Very cleverly done considering the appearance of the first 8-Bit Computers and computer games in the early 1980's. (Typical Family Entertainment for its time!).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tron

Most of the rest I see nowadays is a right pain in the eyeballs!

Paul.... ;) ... ;) ... ;) ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby H » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:55 am

I may go a bit off-track here but my first mention is in respect to all presentations: if it's not fit for a 6-year-old, it's probably not fit for me. I haven't had personal television service since the days the encrypted 'over-the-air' signal became the norm; I now have many DVDs, many of which I wish I'd never gotten. The worst part of this is when there is one scene in a show that is just too 'raw' (the rating, title and/or write-up will sometimes reveal adverse contents of those prolific with such scenes -- but ratings are attuned to what's generally considered acceptable for an older child, not what everyone considers acceptable for any of their family). Targeting video games as the culprit of anti-social engagements, guns or whatever, doesn't properly address the undermining of an attitude of respect -- for ourselves and others -- and results in a confusion between what's respectful and what's acceptable, as well as what is [or should be] real. All that said, the older sci-fi movies tend to be more respectful, if less realistic; very many recent ones present scene attitudes that are disrespectful of the characters, friend or foe, so there's no indication of right or wrong in the action. I've seen only a few of those you've mentioned, not The Third Man, This Island Earth, War Games, Magnetic Monster nor Forbidden Planet. For me, Barbarella was too '60s' and quirky -- and I was watching it from a VHS long after it was produced.
Aside from the moral/attitude aspect, I have less of a contention with the imaginative process of story telling. In the realm of reality, I do not contend that we are the only creatures in a universe larger than we conceive, although I do contend that, in a sense, we are our own science fiction in a universe that should wholly consist of absolutely nothing -- not even the tiniest speck to go bang (or poof). Neither do I contend that any 'more advanced' creatures don't exist in the universe. If they do, their attitudes toward us is moot: they may be friendly, unfriendly or totally apathetic -- whatever benefits their agenda, or lack of one. Anything that one cannot identify moving through the air is a UFO; that doesn't mean that it is unidentifiable nor out-of-this-world -- only out of yours at the time. With those I've seen, variously in my lifetime, is a mixed observation. The last I encountered were the huge, unlit, slow-moving triangular ones. Let's just say that an overgrown 'slug' in the sky seems unlikely to be the recent product of the extraterrestrial -- and any recent visitor to our world isn't likely to understand the Morse Code you send out with your flashlight (or any other form of Terran communication).

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Zaphod » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:31 pm

Forbidden Planet without a doubt!
Large Robot . Sexy female lead (Anne Francis), a young Leslie Nielsen and a plot compered Shakespeare's Tempest.

No contest.

Zaphod.
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. But why take the risk?
Windows 10
Intel i7 950 3.06Ghz (8mb Cache)
MSI X58 Pro-E MoBo
MSI GeForce GTX 1050ti oc
Corsair MXS
Zaphod
Captain
Captain

Postby yancovitch » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:09 am

yea!!!!!!.............
yancovitch
Major
Major

Postby ftldave » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:08 pm

Forbidden Planet was very much the template Gene Roddenberry used as a primary inspiration for Star Trek, though the C-57 Star Cruiser personnel looked a lot like a B-36 bomber crew more than the Enterprise crew.

One of my favorite classics is Robinson Crusoe on Mars, well done and still watchable, even though the Mars science is outdated. The first half of the film depicts a marooned American astronaut's survival efforts on the Red Planet, the second half a first contact with intelligent alien life. Criterion restored the film some years ago, glad to say, and the soundtrack music by composer Van Cleave released on CD, too. Note that if you've ever watched it on broadcast TV, you've probably not seen the entire movie. It was edited, shortened for broadcast. The late actor Paul Mantee who portrayed astronaut Christopher Draper had some resemblance to real astronaut Scott Carpenter, and it's surely his finest performance on film. It was originally to be titled "Marooned" but another studio already had the rights to that name for another movie, that wasn't near as good. RCOM lore has it that if it had been financially successful, there would have been a sequel, "Christopher Columbus in Space", but that didn't happen. Memorable line: "Mr. Echo, go to hell!"

Mars Gravity Probe 1 fires thrusters

And, can't overlook Disney's 1954 version of Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea: a great cast and memorable performances by James Mason and Kirk Douglas, Nemo - my first anti-hero - travelled in a nuclear-powered Nautilus, and those brief glimpses of the Nautilus' base at Vulcania (an electronic telescope dish!!!), what a great film!

New good sf films are, indeed, rare. I think Christopher Nolan's Interstellar is the only one that comes to mind in past years.
ftldave
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Anthindelahunt » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:47 pm

For me.Stargate and Avatar.

Anthin.
Anthindelahunt
Major
Major

Postby warrensol85 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:37 am

B0ikat wrote:There's a lot of great sci-fi out there, both new and classic, like "2001: A Space Odyssey" (50 years ago, and still stands out!). Another favorite is "Fantastic Voyage", and not just because Raquel Welch was in it. Liked the design of the Proteuse sub.

In one sense, it's a shame that newer moves go for the "shoot-em-up" route, on the other hand, the "reboot syndrome" is a mixed bag. Robocop should have been left alone, but I'm curious to see Cameron's reboot of "Forbidden Planet" (It's in the works, IIRC, a three-part, pre-prequel, prequel, and remake of the original. I think a sequel to the original could be done, since the Krell had explored the galaxy, there might be a host of old Krell outposts scattered around... But I digress.. :)

Stanley Kubrick is the undisputed God of modern film-making. Well, some say Hitchcock but he was obsessed with just suspense and mystery.
warrensol85
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby B0ikat » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:59 pm

Speaking of 2001: A Space Odyssey, I just got out of the theater from a special 50th anniversary showing in IMax. This was the first time I saw in on The Big Screen. I must admit to mixed feelings. At times it's painfully tedious, yet still interesting enough to hold your attention, which, if it was a new release today, would probably be considered a huge flop, since we're used to the flashy rapid fire action and dialogue of modern sci-fi movies, but it's visual effects are still mostly outstanding. On that, I only noticed a few visual continuity "oopsies", most notably when the Aries lunar shuttle was about to land. I think the main reason the movie as a whole still ranks at the top of any list of top sci-fi movies is the "WTF?" factor. Whole college courses have been held and dissertations have been written about the meaning of various aspects of the movie. Even though I've seen the movie before on TV and DVD, the Star Child ending still left me with a feeling of "wow!"

The other thing that made this a special IMax event is that I went to the 10:30AM showing. I was the ONLY person in the theater. Just me. Nobody else. That's special. In a way sad, but still special. But the again, it's early morning on a Saturday in Shreveport, and it's Summer time. Not exactly "movie time" in these parts.
B0ikat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Dilvish » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:29 pm

The two Dune movies. Made for TV, but...
The first one was kinda sad, if you read the book. Nothing like what the book described, although I guess the general plot was there somewhere.
The SECOND Dune movie, though, was outstanding. MUCH closer to what the book described. Nice to see. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I have a lot of books, being a big sci-fi/fantasy fan, and there's a ton I'd love to see converted to a movie. Unfortunately, much like Dune, it's difficult to convert even a moderate sized book into a movie. There just isn't time in a 2.5 hour movie to tell some of the stories properly.
Things like Nova, or any of Roger Zelazny's Amber series would be awesome, but I doubt we'll ever see them or many others on the Big Screen. Many, many others, too numerous for me to list, sadly.

Have fun, all!
Pat☺
Dilvish
Ground hog
Ground hog

Next

Return to General Discussion