Stephen Hawking 1942-2018

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

Stephen Hawking 1942-2018

Postby pete » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:35 am

Very sad to hear today that Stephen Hawking has died.

The world has lost a true gem of a human being.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43396008
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Stephen Hawking 1942-2018

Postby Fozzer » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:08 am

A sad day.

An amazing fellow.

He expanded our/my knowledge of our Solar System and the Universe in general!

I now spend far too much time in bed every night trying to figure it all out!

The whole; "Big Bang Theory", etc, causes me many sleepless nights!

Where did all this; "stuff" that surrounds us, and the enormity of it, come from originally!

Try as I might, it still confuses me!

Paul.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Apex » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:18 am

Very sad news. A great, great genius of our times, he will always be remembered.

Isaac Newton, Albert Einstein, Stephen Hawking. They just don't get any greater than that.

RIP Stephen. So long, and thanks for all the fish!
Apex
Major
Major

Postby Shadowcaster » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:52 am

Yes indeed a genius in every sense of the word, RIP

Rich
All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

Spike Milligan
Shadowcaster
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:44 pm

A good time to remind ourselves of the position of our tiny little lump of rock in our tiny little Solar System, with its collection of other little bits of rock and clumps of gas, on the very tip of one of the many arms of our Milky Way Spiral Galaxy, which contains zillions of Stars and Suns with lumps of rock and gas rotating around them, similar to our own!
Not only that, but there are many of other Spiral Galaxies all doing the same thing as our Milky Way, in the enormous expanse of the Universe which contains it all!

The nearest star to us is Proxima Centauri at 4.2 Light Years away. It's the nearest to us and would take us just over 4 years to reach it while traveling through space at a speed of 186,000 MILES PER SECOND, and its impossibility, and that's just the nearest star in our Galaxy! Everything else is even farther away from us!

https://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/features/ ... _info.html

So there you go Chums. I doubt that we will go a-visiting somewhere outside of-of our tiny little Solar System in our Milky Way Galaxy, anytime soon, and I very much doubt that "anyone" else out there will be visiting our little bit of Rock anytime soon!

...stuff is just too far away!.... :think: ....!

It's all this sort of stuff that keeps me awake at nights!..... :o ....>>>> https://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/features/ ... _info.html

Paul.... ;) .... :D ...!

My little bit of the Milky Way...>>> Image
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby napamule » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:56 pm

All the unanswered questions about our existence and how we got here. You have to be pretty smart to figure out just how dumb we really are about things that are 'bigger' than us. Like the Universe and all the planets and the vast distances involved. You could go crazy thinking about it all. Nobody will ever know everything. No matter how smart the are (or WE think they are). Just won't happen. Why? Because it (the Universe) is always changing. New things happen on a MASSIVE scale every second!!! We are not even aware what has happened to that closest clump of matter SINCE THE LIGHT LEFT (xxxxxxxxx years ago). Could be 'it' (clump of matter) is already gone poof and only a ray of light remains (as proof it was ever there). Never mind what is happening at those 'distant' Galaxies. And just how big the Universe REALLY is? We can only imagine.
Chuck B
Napamule
napamule
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby H » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:49 pm

napamule wrote:All the unanswered questions about our existence... We can only imagine.
Yep... and most all we see will end before we scope the rest of it. We're currently pondering the possibility that Mars harbored life. Effectively, we've opened the door but haven't stepped onto the doorstep. Anyway, when I heard Welles' The War of the Worlds as a kid I knew it was unlikely. I'd been told there'd been millions of Mars bars produced so they'd probably drink themselves to extinction before they staggered themselves here in an ill-fated attack.

8-)

H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:38 am

Me?... :think: ....

I think we should all be satisfied with what we are, and what we have, on our lump of rock that everything resides upon, in our Solar System.

Whatever is; "out there, beyond that" is going to stay there, a very long way away, and we can only dream of fairy tales....>>>>

Quote: ....."...attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion"....

The rest is just intellectual stuff...

Paul.... :D ....!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Return to General Discussion