Trip to Iain's place.

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

Re: Trip to Iain's place.

Postby H » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:50 pm

Fozzer wrote:With my New England and North US Atlantic Cousins, it is a mixture of Scottish and Irish....
Well, what can I say about the Gaelic ancestry when it seems the bearers of my Anglo-Saxon English surname jumped the wall and shipped (or else were the best of swimmers) to the Isle of Skye, becoming a sept of clan Donald; clan [Mac]Donald feuded over territory with the allied clans of McLain(e) and McCormick (various spellings); my paternal grandfather married the daughter of a McCormick and my mom was a McLain, born on the Scottish-infested Prince Edward Island, so sept and rivals are all in the mix now. However, as to the accent, I'm NH native with an older colonial tinge: my "ahnts" were with my uncles and, perhaps, the ants about their feet threatened their ankles -- and I must admit that "hahff"-baked plans can go as amiss as do the more common 'haff'-baked ones.

Welcome back to the postings Felix Félix; long time no see.
FelixFFDS2 wrote:San José = San Ho SEH (Note: NOT the Canadian 'eh' which sounds more like Fonzi's Eyyyyy!)
It doesn't help that it's incorporated in song as " San Ho-zay".
FelixFFDS2 wrote:San Joaquín = San Hwah-KING.
Your printed pronunciation guide is a bit strange -- I didn't realize Spain and the 'New World' south of the U.S. had been annexed by China.
;)

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Previous

Return to General Discussion