California Wildfires....

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

California Wildfires....

Postby Fozzer » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:44 am

Having Sim Flown California for many years, I am wondering if any of my Sim V Chums are affected by these devastating Wildfires?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41603474

North California: Sonoma County and Napa County.

I follow the news, day by day on...>>>

http://kron4.com/

Paul.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Re: California Wildfires....

Postby yancovitch » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:55 am

took the words out of my fingers...............
yancovitch
Major
Major

Location: born montreal, lived vancouver, now live in burns lake bc.

Postby Fozzer » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:18 am

yancovitch wrote:took the words out of my fingers...............

Wildfires are a common occurrence in California which I follow every year, but this particular outbreak north of San Francisco is the most devasting in memory.

You have been/are having similar problems up in British Columbia, Yan, with the smoke descending far down into South-west Washington State, Vancouver, and Portland, Oregon.

Paul.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Boromir » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:05 pm

My wife is in San Rafael visiting her folks. Spoke with her this morning and she said the air is horrible. Authorities recommend people stay 'in' as much as possible. She's experiencing stinging in her nose/throat...thankfully she flies the hell out of there early Saturday. Her discomfort and my wish for her to get away from there seems petty compared to the horrors others are dealing with. Another sad situation. And to think last week I was complaining that the colors are dull this year here in southern VT...sheesh.

Cheers,

Greg
Boromir
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Fozzer » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:46 pm

Boromir wrote:My wife is in San Rafael visiting her folks. Spoke with her this morning and she said the air is horrible. Authorities recommend people stay 'in' as much as possible. She's experiencing stinging in her nose/throat...thankfully she flies the hell out of there early Saturday. Her discomfort and my wish for her to get away from there seems petty compared to the horrors others are dealing with. Another sad situation. And to think last week I was complaining that the colors are dull this year here in southern VT...sheesh.

Cheers,

Greg

San Rafael, a few miles down Highway 101 from Santa Rosa and Petaluma, in Sonoma County.

Up in Vermont, Greg, you will soon be experiencing the cold and snow of Winter approaching from Canada's Atlantic Seaboard!

A sharp contrast to the Wildfires of California!

They are certainly having a rough-old-time of it

Many Vineyards and properties in Napa Country are also destroyed.

Paul.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:11 pm

Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby yancovitch » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:36 pm

god bless all those who suffered such terrible loss.......gads....i bet insurance premiums will go through the roof......
yancovitch
Major
Major

Postby slimcooper2002 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:40 am

We are about 12 miles south of the closest fires. We are packed and have a plan should it come to it, but today they said they have the main fires almost 50% contained. So far just smoke and some ash. We have the fortune of this happening when there aren't too many fires going in the rest of the U.S. so we are getting almost every resource available. From the 747 air bomber and the DC-10 or L-1011 bombers and all kinds of smaller aircraft. I heard over 1000 trucks on scene(the farthest I think is from Pennsylvania). Santa Rosa is the hardest hit losing the Kmart, multiple hotels like the Hilton, and whole neighborhoods, not a block of houses but whole neighborhoods, block after block of nothing but chimneys.
slimcooper2002
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:43 am

slimcooper2002 wrote:We are about 12 miles south of the closest fires. We are packed and have a plan should it come to it, but today they said they have the main fires almost 50% contained. So far just smoke and some ash. We have the fortune of this happening when there aren't too many fires going in the rest of the U.S. so we are getting almost every resource available. From the 747 air bomber and the DC-10 or L-1011 bombers and all kinds of smaller aircraft. I heard over 1000 trucks on scene(the farthest I think is from Pennsylvania). Santa Rosa is the hardest hit losing the Kmart, multiple hotels like the Hilton, and whole neighborhoods, not a block of houses but whole neighborhoods, block after block of nothing but chimneys.

Watching the news daily on.... http://kron4.com/

Sounds like you must be somewhere near Petaluma, Cooper!

Down Highway 101 where all the smoke is blowing

The devastation I see is truly aweful!

Take care!

Paul.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:33 pm

....and more...14/10/2017....>>>

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41604743

Paul.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby BE58D » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:28 pm

I think I am the closest, the Partick Fire (before all of the fires merged and became known as the Nuns Fire) was not to far from me, they shut down one of the roads about half a mile from our house and we could see the flames from the Atlas Fire, I have been up Atlas Peak Road many of times. The smoke today isn't nearly as bad as it has been but the winds have been coming out of the NW and is starting to come back this way at slow rate of spread. I made the wife, son and mother-in-law evacuate and go to Sacramento to the father-in-laws house. I have seen countless fire crews from other municipalities and even out of state going up and down the roads.

Latest updates from CalFire are:

The Nuns Fire: 46,104 acres and 10% contained
The Tubbs Fire: 35,270 acres and 44% contained
The Atlas Fire: 50,383 acres and 45% contained

For any of those that are Facebook, I created a Fundraiser... here's the link, if you aren't able to donate I understand but could you please share. Thank you!
https://www.facebook.com/donate/359266347851238/
BE58D
Major
Major

Postby Boromir » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:19 am

San Rafael, a few miles down Highway 101 from Santa Rosa and Petaluma, in Sonoma County.

Up in Vermont, Greg, you will soon be experiencing the cold and snow of Winter approaching from Canada's Atlantic Seaboard!

A sharp contrast to the Wildfires of California!

They are certainly having a rough-old-time of it

Many Vineyards and properties in Napa Country are also destroyed.

Paul.

Wife is safe in CT this morning, yay. I certainly hope you are correct Paul, with regards to winter weather here in VT. Me likes it. It's been a crazy warm and dry Sept/Oct and little change in the forecast (well maybe a bit cooler).

Thanks for all the links and reports from those closer to the fire mayhem. I'll be sure to donate and connect my FB page to it. Good luck, be safe, and may humidity and calm air invade northern CA...NOW!

Greg
Boromir
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Fozzer » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:39 pm

Sunday the 15th of October....>>>>

http://kron4.com/2017/10/14/wildfires-n ... eaches-40/

Paul.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:04 am

Another example of what happens when Americans insist on building their structures surrounded by trees!....>>>>

Fire traps!

http://kron4.com/2017/10/16/santa-rosa- ... firestorm/

I see it time and time again during every annual California wildfire! (re the Lake Tahoe wildfire a few years ago).

Trees are nice and pretty....but they catch fire during hot, dry weather!

Paul.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby yancovitch » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:48 pm

gads....if i had property in that area, creating a firebreak would be the first thing i would do......even towns should have a substantial firebreak around them....doesn't seem unreasonable?.......but i could be wrong, as i don't know how big of a firebreak would be required....maybe too impractical .....
yancovitch
Major
Major

Next

Return to General Discussion