The White Helmets.............

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

The White Helmets.............

Postby Shadowcaster » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:12 am

................. are to be disbanded, 2017 will be the last season. :( :(

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09 ... s-promote/

Seen them a few times over the years, now being axed because their old fashioned.
What's going to be next :?: :?: :?:

Rich
All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

Spike Milligan
Shadowcaster
Major
Major

Re: The White Helmets.............

Postby Flying Trucker » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:41 am

Good morning Rich... <<q

The problem being I think is the Powers to be have no Idea of what happens in a Real Shooting War.

One of the first things lost is communications, Satellites will be one of the first things destroyed.

GPS and most forms of communications relying on Satellites will be useless.

Ships at sea and aircraft in the air....well they will be on their own if they do not know or have the ability to use Celestial Navigation and Morse Code.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celestial_navigation

Some Military units will get buy but I am sure all or most civilian and commercial ships and aircraft will be in trouble.

It will be back down to using Pigeons and Motorcycle Dispatch Riders to keep information flowing.

Just my humble opinion Rich.

It is almost like these people closing airports to build condos and then several years later wanting a two year feasibility study to build another airport in the same area almost and expropriating or buying Agriculture Land.
Somebody has a plan and is making money and it is not me.... :o :lol:
Last edited by Flying Trucker on Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers...Happy Landings...Doug
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hagar » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:42 am

Shadowcaster wrote: now being axed because their old fashioned.
What's going to be next :?: :?: :?:

Rich

More likely due to government funding cuts. :think:

How much longer will they continue to fund the BBMF & Red Arrows?

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby yancovitch » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:37 pm

food for thought trucker....quite a perspective!
yancovitch
Major
Major

Location: born montreal, lived vancouver, now live in burns lake bc.

Postby Shadowcaster » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:21 pm

Thanks for the replies chaps, it's quite worrying that we place so much faith in computers and satellites. We experience problems with our home computers, E-Mail server down, site unreachable, can't log into internet banking and the list goes on. I hope that someone will step in with the funding for the team, because it was formed to aid in recruitment and as as such it still does it's job.

As for the Arrows and the BBMF it would not surprise me that they get privatised. Anyone for the Red Bull Arrows or the Virgin Atlantic BBMF.

Cheers
Rich
All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

Spike Milligan
Shadowcaster
Major
Major

Postby Hawkeye07 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:07 pm

Flying Trucker wrote:Good morning Rich... <<q

The problem being I think is the Powers to be have no Idea of what happens in a Real Shooting War.
One of the first things lost is communications, Satellites will be one of the first things destroyed.
GPS and most forms of communications relying on Satellites will be useless.
Ships at sea and aircraft in the air....well they will be on their own if they do not know or have the ability to use Celestial Navigation and Morse Code.
Some Military units will get buy but I am sure all or most civilian and commercial ships and aircraft will be in trouble.
It will be back down to using Pigeons and Motorcycle Dispatch Riders to keep information flowing.

I can't say with any certainty regarding the latest and greatest military A/C but all the ones I worked on or was familiar with used INS (Inertial Navigation System) for navigation.
That included the P-3 Orion, E-2C Hawkeye and the F-14, EA-6, S-3A, F-18 and the A-6. INS doesn't need any external reference sources. The pilot plugs in the Latitude, Longitude and Mag Var and then initiates the system alignment. Normally the pilot got his Nav info at briefing but the systems could also be aligned using RF delivered information derived from the ships SINS. SINS = Shipboard Inertial Navigation System, or the same info could be received via a data cable ( we called it the "SINS Cable") which was used during periods where the ship was not transmitting any RF signals.

I just found this in Wiki: The AN/ASN-139 CAINS II is a ring laser gyro inertial navigation system designed for carrier-based aircraft to provide better than one nautical mile per hour navigation performance, Northrop Grumman said. The system is used on C-2A, E-2C and F/A-18 aircraft.

CAINS stands for "Carrier Aircraft Inertial Nav System" Notice it says CAINS II. The original CAINS system I dealt with was the AN/ASN-92. It was a great system but its gyros and gimbals with their accompanying ball bearings are not as precise as the ring laser gyro. BUT they were a far cry from the first system I work with. the AN/ASN-42 system used in the P-3A/B's was a nightmare. It took 20 minutes to warm up the system and then another 20 minutes to get an alignment. Not too good for an alert launch situation.

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Return to General Discussion