high frequencies

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

high frequencies

Postby yancovitch » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:21 am

checked online...but too technical for me......simply, i remember listening to vinyl records and sometimes even cassettes where the high frequencies could make my hair on my head stand up and boogie.....i've never heard that on a digital format.....the high end always seems to be like forcing the high end with a fist rather than cutting with a knife....am i delusional?......or is it dissolutional.....
yancovitch
Major
Major

Location: born montreal, lived vancouver, now live in burns lake bc.

Re: high frequencies

Postby Roypcox » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:35 pm

I can't really answer that with any accuracy but I believe if you were in WW 2 and flew B-25 and C-47 if you flew left seat and didn't keep your ear phones on some would come up deaf in the left ear and if you were copilot you could come up deaf in the right ear. Something about the tips of the props doing a dance on our ear drums. When discharged I got a little disability check for it. Roy
Roypcox
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby yancovitch » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:05 pm

gads....never knew that....couldn't even imagine that.......learn something every day........just thought there might be some stereo buffs here is all.....but the funny thing is ...i never listen to music anymore anyways.........was just curious......digital vs analogue thing....
yancovitch
Major
Major

Postby napamule » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:19 pm

Digital is '10101010' (ie: is data). It is not ACTUALLY sound. Analog is a 'sine wave' (ie: is data). It is not ACTUALLY sound. Your 'Media Player' will convert that 'data' (digital or analog) to sound (using whatever codec is required).

I believe your ears are 'extra' sensitive to certain higher frequencys. You probably can hear a jet (or a train) coming long before anyone else can. And you might even object to certain 'notes' and that will cause you to howl? So you 'Got Ears Like a Dog'? (hehe).
Chuck B
Napamule
napamule
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby yancovitch » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:00 pm

i heard that!!!!......wowoooooo.....
yancovitch
Major
Major

Postby yancovitch » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:05 pm

speaking of frequencies.....there's a couple guys in their trucks who drive by often, with these super low frequency boom boxes ....i never heard anything so low......our house even shakes.......i went up to one of them the other day, and told him that his bass was so low and powerful, that he probably even gets the elephants in africa excited.......
ok....so i'm wierd :geek: :)
yancovitch
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:32 am

Audio frequencies....

Amongst my vast collection of musical instruments I have a Hammond B3 drawbar organ, and some years ago I found that when pulling out certain draw-bars I seemed to find it difficult to hear both the very high and very low frequencies!
I mentioned this to my Doctor and he booked an appointment for me to see the Audiologist at my local hospital for a hearing test.

Lo and behold, it showed that my sensitivity to high and low frequencies was being lost, (an old-age problem!), and I now require to use a hearing aid (in both ears) to experience and enjoy certain types of sound!

The loss of high frequencies also makes it difficult to clearly hear "speech" involving the sounds of; "Esses (s)" and "Tees (t)"!

67 years of daily motorcycling in my early years, without the use of earplugs (ear defenders), probably contributed to the slow degradation of my hearing ability!
...I now wear earplugs on all my long distance rides when likely to be affected by ear-damaging wind noise; "White noise".

It's always worth remembering that one of the few parts of the human body which don't automatically repair is the "hair cells" within the inner ear!
Once these cells are damaged through excessive noise, the ability to hear successfully is permanently lost!

Trying to listen to folks talking clearly in a group of people, is becoming much more difficult.

...The repetition of the word; "Pardon? becomes part of my regular daily vocabulary!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ear

There comes a time in life when certain parts of the body cease to function quite as well as they did in the far distant past...
...eyesight, hearing, ...erectile dysfunction!.... and certain bodily solids and fluids ..... :oops: ...!

Paul..... :roll: ..... :lol: ....!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hagar » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:45 am

I agree with Fozzer. Its probably more to do with your age rather than the audio format or sound equipment. As we get older its more difficult to hear high frequencies.
Low frequencies at high volume are felt rather than heard, for example; the bass at music concerts. Sonic weapons work on this principle.
https://crab.wordpress.com/2008/01/14/a-short-history-of-sound-weapons-pt2-infrasound/

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby yancovitch » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:30 pm

haha yes hagar...that's why i mentioned the elephants in africa..........good info....didn't know that......and yes...i must just be getting old.....so you're saying that digital recordings can produce frequencies of 18-20,000cps?....if so, than i submit....it's my ears and my old age :D ........
yancovitch
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:48 pm

Check out your hearing. http://onlinetonegenerator.com/hearingtest.html

You might be surprised. :shock:

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby yancovitch » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:54 pm

wow................can hear up to 10-11 thou......kept switching back to make sure it was the sound, not just the tiny ear hiss or whatever..................amazing.....used earphones........don't have good speakers......i guess it depends on the quality of your speakers or headset too...........
speaking of getting old....i look in the mirror while shaving or whatever and say, gee you don't look too bad for 76.....then...the other day i had my reading glasses on.....and whoops....where did all those wrinkles come from:).....i looked at my wife too........................................but didn't say anything :)
yancovitch
Major
Major

Postby H » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:10 am

Hagar wrote:Low frequencies at high volume are felt rather than heard...
Such can leave you shaking in your boots -- so now we remain barefoot... :shock:

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Sprocket » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:59 pm

Two things of interest here.

1. Some years ago one could buy a "Nuisance child repellent" at some outlets. These take advantage of the superior high frequency range of children. Shop owners would use these devices to repel loitering kids.
But it has since been made illegal.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... -home.html

2. Haunted houses/castles/buildings...The "tour" operators catch the gullible public by having a special "haunted" room, in which they have installed a hidden speaker connected to a very powerful amplifier, and feed it with exactly 19Hz.
As pointed out by Hagar, this frequency is out of the audible range, but can be felt on the body. This leaves people with a spooky feeling AND CONVINCED there is some presence in the room.
Sprocket
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Canuck1955 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:25 pm

Fozzer wrote:Trying to listen to folks talking clearly in a group of people, is becoming much more difficult.

...The repetition of the word; "Pardon? becomes part of my regular daily vocabulary!
!

You just described my situation.... really peeves the Mrs off as she has Vulcan hearing. I find myself now avoiding events where people with gather as I just have to give up with conversation. It gets embarrassing constantly with the "pardon"
:roll:
Canuck1955
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Canuck1955 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:28 pm

H wrote:
Hagar wrote:Low frequencies at high volume are felt rather than heard...
Such can leave you shaking in your boots -- so now we remain barefoot... :shock:

8-)

I foolishly went to an AC/DC concert at Wembley just to keep a colleague company. It must have been 87 or 88, I was physically ill with the deep reverberations in my chest from how loud they were.
:shock:
Canuck1955
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Next

Return to General Discussion