British Columbia Wildfires

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

British Columbia Wildfires

Postby logjam » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:48 pm

Here's a big thank you to all of those engaged in fightig the biggest wildfire since 1959. They come from everywhere including Australia and Mexico. Spare a thought for those who have come to help save our homes, our livestock and our very lives.
https://quik.gopro.com/v/2oqephuhSp/
logjam
Major
Major

Re: Briish Columbia Wildfires

Postby Flacke » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:12 pm

Glad you are OK Log.
I salute those Firefighters and all those who contribute to fighting fires in any capacity, anywhere.

I flew out your way in FSX-SE in Real Weather Mode during the fires. I could see all the smoke and haze and I thought that if its that bad in Real Weather then it must be terrible there on the ground. I hope future fire seasons go a lot better than this one did. A big <Salute> to the Firefighters.
Flacke
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: Briish Columbia Wildfires

Postby napamule » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:20 pm

The worst is over but the smoke from the Canada fires even covered even the Port Angeles / Sequim area and back to Seattle for days. Visibility 1/2 mile? Choking smoke. A front came through NW Washington Tuesday and a few sprinkles and wind (high winds, by the way) cleared the smoke, but not the carbon paticles. It kicked those up! Made it about the same or worse. But things are looking better in WA. Yes those fire eaters do a heck of a job. Hard workers. Those fires were termed 'Worst in 60 Years'.
Chuck B
Napamule
napamule
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: British Columbia Wildfires

Postby Fozzer » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:28 am

The smoke haze was visible by my You-Tube Motorcycle Chums down in Vancouver in south Washington State and Portland in north Oregon State!

I can't help thinking though, that fighting Wildfires is a modern occurrence, in efforts to save people and protect property.

In times past, the fire would have been a natural phenomenon started by lightning strikes etc, and progressed unchecked until it had burnt itself out in preparation for new, strong, vigorous growth!

Modern society now builds their structures amongst trees and vegetation inviting loss and damage from Wildfires.

A typical example I remember, was the Wildfire in the Lake Tahoe area some years ago which made the news, where houses, etc, were built in amongst the dense trees and foliage and destroyed in the inferno!

Sometimes Nature doesn't like our presence!

Top marks to Firefighters though. A Very Special Breed out to protect people and property.

Paul... :D ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby logjam » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:47 am

This will give you some idea of what the Firefighters are into., the global warming effect and what Fozzer says. Ignore the political spin.
https://youtu.be/hJJM8TzVtt0

Some more video of Fire fighting in BC.
https://youtu.be/D6yQDQUAk6s

Low level aerial stuff near Hope, BC.
https://youtu.be/GzPF4Ezh2sg
logjam
Major
Major

Postby Anthindelahunt » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:00 pm

Thanks for posting this.

David Suzuki is a Canadian national treasure.
His documentaries are really worth watching.

I have seen the dieback problem first hand.It
is bad.
When I was a kid,temperatures were much much
colder than today in Canada.

Anthin.
Anthindelahunt
Major
Major

Return to General Discussion