Canada Day!....>>>

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

Canada Day!....>>>

Postby Fozzer » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:03 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40468161

Funny old place: Canada!... ;) ...!

I can never figure out whether it is a British Colony or a French Colony!

It seems that they speak French in Quebec, but English in the rest of the country...

...apart from that, Canada seems to be mostly very cold...and full of Maple Trees!.... :o ....!

...and our Good Queen Elizabeth II is the Chief... :dance: ...!

Paul.... :D ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Canada Day!....>>>

Postby Tug002 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:03 am

Not very cold here right now but raining for the last week :cry: Lots of cops and guns in Ottawa yesterday for the big 150th.

Keep smiling
Tug :)
Tug002
Captain
Captain

Postby H » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:29 am

Early European colonization obviously began in the east and France was the early contender in what's now Canada; their control was lost with their defeat (the American part of the conflict was known as the French and Indian Wars). Although French colonists were shipped out of some areas, most remained in Quebec, yielding sovereignty to the British crown. NH's 'twin state', Vermont, is known as the Green Mountain State, as reflected in its French sourced name -- and my home town, Claremont, is a French name. Quebec is our (NH & VT) neighbor at our north; most speak English as well as Canadian French; many French Canadian job seekers crossed the border decades past and some of my cousins have that in their ancestry.
If one goes to a major supermarket here, there will be Canadian bottles of maple syrup sitting next to our more local brands. The drive up to our farm was arched by sugar maples and early in my life we made our own maple syrup (it boiled down to @ one gallon from 40 gallons of sap).

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Canuck1955 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:29 pm

Here on the west coast the Wx is similar to Blighty except it rains a bit more. We probably have more Douglas Fir trees than Maple. But the West is largely ignored of course even by our illustrious leader Justin Trudope who forgot Alberta exists (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/ ... -1.4187656) and considering it is probably the richest Province with its oil is his usual embarrassment.
And I wish folks would stop with this "Canadians are so polite & nice" rhetoric. It's a facade, Canadians will screw you over just as quick as anyone else except they do it with a smile. That impression is a hang over from the 1950's.
And when they say "sorry" it is just as meaningful as the American "Have a nice day".
Ahhhhh! Got that of my chest, Flame away. But it's true.
Canuck1955
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:34 pm

Canuck1955 wrote:Here on the west coast the Wx is similar to Blighty except it rains a bit more. We probably have more Douglas Fir trees than Maple. But the West is largely ignored of course even by our illustrious leader Justin Trudope who forgot Alberta exists (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/ ... -1.4187656) and considering it is probably the richest Province with its oil is his usual embarrassment.
And I wish folks would stop with this "Canadians are so polite & nice" rhetoric. It's a facade, Canadians will screw you over just as quick as anyone else except they do it with a smile. That impression is a hang over from the 1950's.
And when they say "sorry" it is just as meaningful as the American "Have a nice day".
Ahhhhh! Got that of my chest, Flame away. But it's true.

.... :lol: ... :lol: ... :lol: ...!

Its nice to know what Canadians are really like..on a good day.... :lol: ...!

Love the heads-up.... ;) ...!

Weather: The Pacific North-West; USA and Canada, is where it rains....a lot!... :o ...!

Seattle is mostly under water.... ;) ...!

Any place over the North American Border has got to be cold...I reckon!

Washington State can be cold...
Oregon can be quite nice at this time of then year....
..and California is OK, depends where you are located...NORCAL/MIDCAL?/SOCAL!

I like watching Weather Stuff!

Paul.....Sunny, with occasional Showers... :D ....!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:40 pm

A little bit more news about Canada, and the siege of Quebec.

...and a very big 1759 Cannon Ball!...>>>

"The British besieged Quebec while fighting the French at the Battle of the Plains of Abraham.

The Battle of the Plains of Abraham, part of the Seven Years' War, ended in victory for the British, and was a major milestone towards the end of French rule in what is now Canada".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40618547

Paul... ;) ....!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby yancovitch » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:29 pm

H.M.S. Royal William, a 100-gun vessel launched in 1719..... The ship has significant historical connections to Canada - it was one of the Royal Navy's premier ships in action in North America. It was also the ship on which General Wolfe's body was transported back to England after his death on the Plains of Abraham.
this is an 8 foot r/c model i built of the royal william.................short video...even has some music

https://ca.video.search.yahoo.com/searc ... ction=view
yancovitch
Major
Major

Location: born montreal, lived vancouver, now live in burns lake bc.

Postby Anthindelahunt » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:09 pm

Great little video.

Beautiful model.

Thanks for showing.

Anthin. :clap:
Anthindelahunt
Major
Major

Postby H » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:40 am

Fozzer wrote:Any place over the North American Border has got to be cold...I reckon!
We'd expect so -- you'd be in the Arctic since the northern border of North America would be Alaska and Canada (although Greenland is sometimes added in the mix). During the past wars you got used to calling U.S. soldiers Yanks (most have forgotten its Dutch origin) but the Germans frequently called us Amerikaner. Although I haven't heard a direct complaint from Canadians, I have from Mexicans who also consider themselves (North) Americans; I don't know how that can be rectified because United Statesians just doesn't sound right (well, sometimes they also call us a few other things, at least one of which is just nuts...)

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:33 am

H wrote:
Fozzer wrote:Any place over the North American Border has got to be cold...I reckon!
We'd expect so -- you'd be in the Arctic since the northern border of North America would be Alaska and Canada (although Greenland is sometimes added in the mix). During the past wars you got used to calling U.S. soldiers Yanks (most have forgotten its Dutch origin) but the Germans frequently called us Amerikaner. Although I haven't heard a direct complaint from Canadians, I have from Mexicans who also consider themselves (North) Americans; I don't know how that can be rectified because United Statesians just doesn't sound right (well, sometimes they also call us a few other things, at least one of which is just nuts...)

8-)

Mexican-Americans I call Mexicans. Latin-Americans I call Latinos. African-Americans I call Africans. Chinese-Americans I call Chinese. etc...

Americans...I call Americans...but who are they?.... :roll:....USAcans?..... ;) ...!

Canada... a very big place, but rarely heard of, in the international news....

...except in South Park.... :lol: ...!

Alaska, as well as being very cold and depressing, seems quite a dangerous place to live..in the news.

Most of my "comfort time" seems to be spent far South of the North American Border!

Paul.... :D ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Canuck1955 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:37 pm

Fozzer wrote:
Canada... a very big place, but rarely heard of, in the international news....

True we tend to be in the shadow of those below the 49th parallel.
e.g plenty of news around that California is experiencing wildfires. But not much mention of the fact that there are over 200 wildfires in BC at the moment and various small towns are being evacuated. http://bc.ctvnews.ca/bc-wildfires

In context though, Canada may be the 2nd largest country in the world sizewise, but we are in truth quite a small country otherwise, out population equates to half that of the UK approximately.
Canuck1955
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:23 pm

Its a funny old do, but every Summer I expect to hear news of Wildfires in my Southern California news, Kron4, but it always comes as a complete surprise to hear of wildfires in the cold, icy, snowy conditions of Canada!
I always imagine that it is cold, icy, and snowy all year round in Canada!
...its close to the North Pole!.... :o ...!

http://openmaps.gov.bc.ca/kml/wildfire/map.html

Weather can be confusing!.... :? ....!

Paul.....around 70*F in England at the mo'.... :D ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby yancovitch » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:42 pm

i'm living in one of those small towns west of prince george.....burns lake, would you believe.............we're keeping a close eye......thinking of putting some kind of canopy on our truck just in case.....emergency bed :D
yancovitch
Major
Major

Location: born montreal, lived vancouver, now live in burns lake bc.

Postby Canuck1955 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:04 am

Cold? Not at all the area known to us as the Okanagan is officially a desert. lol Not because it is a sandy wasteland but it is based on rainfall figures. But much of BC is pretty temperate most of the year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okanagan_Desert
Canuck1955
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Canuck1955 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:05 am

yancovitch wrote:i'm living in one of those small towns west of prince george.....burns lake, would you believe.............we're keeping a close eye......thinking of putting some kind of canopy on our truck just in case.....emergency bed :D

Fingers crossed you escape the carnage.
Canuck1955
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Next

Return to General Discussion