Maybe its just me....

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

Re: Maybe its just me....

Postby Delta Tango Nine Two » Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:52 am

Canuck1955 wrote:I object to the word 'App' - which isn't a real word from the get go. Is it short for Application or Apple? Who knows, who cares. :think:

for me it is non-negotiable :naughty: ...they are called PROGRAMS...and they are installed in "program files"...(zoom and other new apps...sorry programs...they are installed differently and "hidden" as programs of Android...

Going back to the main topic...only 30 years here....I hate the cell phone (a lot)....you write to everyone...but you don't TALK to anyone in a serious way....for me it's either face to face or by phone. (mail only for procedures, and similar things)
even the PC (although very powerful, not mine, I mean in general) people see it as "old", heavy, (very powerful, but not very practical)
... they prefer to make a video with their cell phone and quickly upload it to their favorite social network while walking down the street... before having a great tool such as a PC. (on a stationary desk)
Delta Tango Nine Two
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Daube » Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:18 pm

Wow, now spambots starts replying to other spambots...
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby pilotwin7 » Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:10 pm

ISSHIKI wrote::lol: :lol: that's the case with me....i don't talk to anyone over phone call, only on text messages. i don't even pick up the unknown calls. and sit all day long in front of the PC playing games, watching movies, and working. Null’s Clash

pilotwin7
Major
Major

Postby ISSHIKI » Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:20 am

I was inactive for a while and you guys deleted by old account with this name :cry:
youtube vanced
ISSHIKI
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby sandy3 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:18 am

andywilson wrote:
expat wrote:I read this with interest. I am so close to 50 I can almost taste (the beer of celebration) and have pretty much embraced it although I do not understand Twitter.....having a coffee and then going to curl one off..... :shock:
I grew up being the generation that saw the introduction of computers. I started with a ZX81 and today have a Note 4, smaller thinner and more power than an early computer could dream of being. In comparison, today's phones are in the realms of science fiction. I have Facebook which I generally visit in the evening if I have time. My family is all over the world and it is a great way to stay in contact with pictures and what's happening and as it is instant, those who are 1000's of miles away it is possible to have a conversation in real time with more than one person unlike the phone that cannot share content. I also use Whatsapp a lot.https://gbapps.net Again it is possible to send pictures and messages and with whatsapp, messages that can be as long as an email. Reading between the lines, this is more about the size of the keyboard that anything else. Email can be just as instant if you happen to be sat at your computer. Before Whatsapp, I had very long instant email conversations with my cousin in America. Why is everyone here so hooked on email. Why not go back to writing a letter, a photo or two enclosed..? Letters became email, email became Whatsapp or Facebook. Seems odd that people jump happily from letters to email and then stall at the next generation of communication. As for teenagers walking around head down, what were you doing at the same age that was annoying the crap out of the senior generation..... :lol:

Matt

I used WhatsApp a lot but since I found out that WhatsApp and Instagram were bought by Facebook, I have stopped using WhatsApp. :hand: :doh:

Sorry for the late response, Matt mentions abandoning WhatsApp after Facebook acquired it. Does he find Facebook itself acceptable for staying connected with family?
sandy3
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby alexadams30 » Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:43 am

zswobbie1 wrote:Well, now you can talk via WhatsApp, Skype & a few other so-called smart phone apps, on a daily basis, far cheaper than normal landlines.
There are also SOS apps that can be loaded onto phones, so it is far safer for kids now. Do not always blame the kids, it is their parents job & responsibility to train then right.

As I said before, it is a great business tool. My staff are all in a WhatsApp group, so, when I get an urgent email (on my mobile) from a client ordering goods & services, I can act immediately... I message the team on the group, & everyone immediately knows what to do. A phone call will take longer & a lot could be last in translation when messages are passed on.

I love the GPS on my phone, far quicker than looking up an address in a book, that I do not carry around with me. My phone has a Kindle reader built in, & I can read anything anywhere, whenever.
Banking is also a pleasure, immediate access, without standing in line, after trying to find parking, etc....

The list goes on.... Oh, I also watch movies on my phone, (free, not pirated). It's actually NOT too small. Take a seat & look at your TV, hold your fingers in front of you, apart, on either side of the TV screen, yup, you will find the gap between your fingers is about the size of the phone screen. Add headphones, & you have your own private movie theatre, disturbing nobody.

Remember what Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, in 1943 said.. I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." -- . "Where a calculator on the ENIAC is equipped with 18,000 vacuum tubes and weighs 30 tons, computers in the future may have only 1,000 vacuum tubes and weigh only 1.5 tons." -- Popular Mechanics, 1949.

Imagine 5-10 years time.. We cannot keep our heads in the sand!

mobile technology has revolutionized communication and productivity. It's impressive how apps like WhatsApp streamline business operations and enhance personal convenience. As technology evolves, it's vital to adapt and embrace these advancements for improved efficiency and connectivity. The future holds even more exciting possibilities!
alexadams30
Ground hog
Ground hog

Previous

Return to General Discussion