Postby pilotwin7 » Tue May 23, 2017 11:27 am

[quote="zswobbie1
We cannot keep our heads in the sand![/quote]

pilotwin7
Major
Major

Re: Maybe its just me....

Postby Hawkeye07 » Tue May 23, 2017 2:47 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Another one of those beautiful Russian women lured to the west by an internet dating service.

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby pilotwin7 » Tue May 23, 2017 4:27 pm

Hawkeye07 wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: Another one of those beautiful Russian women lured to the west by an internet dating service.

pilotwin7
Major
Major

Postby Hawkeye07 » Wed May 24, 2017 10:58 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby expat » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:35 am

I read this with interest. I am so close to 50 I can almost taste (the beer of celebration) and have pretty much embraced it although I do not understand Twitter.....having a coffee and then going to curl one off..... :shock:
I grew up being the generation that saw the introduction of computers. I started with a ZX81 and today have a Note 4, smaller thinner and more power than an early computer could dream of being. In comparison, today's phones are in the realms of science fiction. I have Facebook which I generally visit in the evening if I have time. My family is all over the world and it is a great way to stay in contact with pictures and what's happening and as it is instant, those who are 1000's of miles away it is possible to have a conversation in real time with more than one person unlike the phone that cannot share content. I also use Whatsapp a lot. Again it is possible to send pictures and messages and with whatsapp, messages that can be as long as an email. Reading between the lines, this is more about the size of the keyboard that anything else. Email can be just as instant if you happen to be sat at your computer. Before Whatsapp, I had very long instant email conversations with my cousin in America. Why is everyone here so hooked on email. Why not go back to writing a letter, a photo or two enclosed..? Letters became email, email became Whatsapp or Facebook. Seems odd that people jump happily from letters to email and then stall at the next generation of communication. As for teenagers walking around head down, what were you doing at the same age that was annoying the crap out of the senior generation..... :lol:

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:08 am

...in my case it has a lot to do with; "Cost"....

At present, my Broadband Internet, costing £29 per month, allows me to send and receive e-mails, and make free telephone calls in the evenings and at week ends, at no extra cost.

It would appear that to purchase an expensive; "Smart Phone", together with the cost of another fixed contract, and additional cost of making calls, would strain my fixed income in retirement.

Presently, e-mails and Land Line phone calls are made at MY convenience, which suits me, with no additional costs.... :D ...!

I see my family members constantly glued to their smart phones, even when they are in my company, and ignoring me!

Maybe I am still; "Old School" (and ZX 80!), but it results in a very quiet and peaceful life!... :dance: ...!

I suppose it comes down to; "whatever suits you"!.... ;) ...!

Paul....."Attic Attack/Jet Set Willy".... :ugeek: ....!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hawkeye07 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:21 pm

expat wrote:I read this with interest. I am so close to 50 I can almost taste (the beer of celebration) and have pretty much embraced it although I do not understand Twitter.....having a coffee and then going to curl one off..... :shock:
I grew up being the generation that saw the introduction of computers. I started with a ZX81 and today have a Note 4, smaller thinner and more power than an early computer could dream of being. In comparison, today's phones are in the realms of science fiction. I have Facebook which I generally visit in the evening if I have time. My family is all over the world and it is a great way to stay in contact with pictures and what's happening and as it is instant, those who are 1000's of miles away it is possible to have a conversation in real time with more than one person unlike the phone that cannot share content. I also use Whatsapp a lot. Again it is possible to send pictures and messages and with whatsapp, messages that can be as long as an email. Reading between the lines, this is more about the size of the keyboard that anything else. Email can be just as instant if you happen to be sat at your computer. Before Whatsapp, I had very long instant email conversations with my cousin in America. Why is everyone here so hooked on email. Why not go back to writing a letter, a photo or two enclosed..? Letters became email, email became Whatsapp or Facebook. Seems odd that people jump happily from letters to email and then stall at the next generation of communication. As for teenagers walking around head down, what were you doing at the same age that was annoying the crap out of the senior generation..... :lol:

Matt

Hi Matt!
What did I do at the same age that was annoying the crap out of the senior generation.... I cut my hair short and went to sea. :lol: Like I said in my earlier post Facebook has it's place as your example clearly explained BUT there's a big difference between You having a personal link to your COUSIN, a specific person in a more or less one on one situation and what most people use Facebook for which is to post all their "It's All About Me" stuff and then expect everyone else to take the time out of their day to check in to see the latest updates. Like I said, it can be very impersonal and in my way of thinking quite lazy and self centered. If I have pictures I want someone else to see or keep as mementos of a shared experience I have copies made and I purchase and address the envelope and I take it to the post office. The difference is that I took my time to share the photos rather than just downloading them from my Iphone into Facebook and making you do the work.
Another observation if I may... It's not just the teenagers who are so dependent on the new technology but the 20 and 30 year olds too. Look around in any restaurant here in the US and the majority of people have their phones either on the table or in use and ignoring the person(s) they're with. The leaps and bounds that have occurred in the electronics technology is absolutely amazing but I think we are getting to a point where it's almost too much. We will spend more time with our gadgets than we do with anything else.

Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby expat » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:08 pm

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby andywilson » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:03 am

expat wrote:I read this with interest. I am so close to 50 I can almost taste (the beer of celebration) and have pretty much embraced it although I do not understand Twitter.....having a coffee and then going to curl one off..... :shock:
I grew up being the generation that saw the introduction of computers. I started with a ZX81 and today have a Note 4, smaller thinner and more power than an early computer could dream of being. In comparison, today's phones are in the realms of science fiction. I have Facebook which I generally visit in the evening if I have time. My family is all over the world and it is a great way to stay in contact with pictures and what's happening and as it is instant, those who are 1000's of miles away it is possible to have a conversation in real time with more than one person unlike the phone that cannot share content. I also use Whatsapp a lot.https://gbapps.net Again it is possible to send pictures and messages and with whatsapp, messages that can be as long as an email. Reading between the lines, this is more about the size of the keyboard that anything else. Email can be just as instant if you happen to be sat at your computer. Before Whatsapp, I had very long instant email conversations with my cousin in America. Why is everyone here so hooked on email. Why not go back to writing a letter, a photo or two enclosed..? Letters became email, email became Whatsapp or Facebook. Seems odd that people jump happily from letters to email and then stall at the next generation of communication. As for teenagers walking around head down, what were you doing at the same age that was annoying the crap out of the senior generation..... :lol:

Matt

I used WhatsApp a lot but since I found out that WhatsApp and Instagram were bought by Facebook, I have stopped using WhatsApp. :hand: :doh:
andywilson
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby zswobbie1 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:53 am

Well, I'm 67 now, & only use a land-line for work. I run a business using social media, it's quick & simple. Most of my correspondence is by Whatsapp & Messenger. It's fast and works. I email & work & a little bit at home. I'm on quite a few Facebook pages, for my hobbies.. Aviation, Simulation, Business and use it very much as a business tool. Obviously, I'm using a laptop, for it's convenience & space.

I've had a Smart phone for many years, & use it to keep in touch with my family & business. It's instant communication that we have come to accept. Here in South Africa, there is a huge movement to get rid of land-lines. Thyer copper infrastructure is expensive & it gets stolen, & using fibre is actually cheaper.

We live in a faster world that we did, a few years ago. I use mapping on my phone, emails, the camera for instant sharing of pictures.

Embrace the present.. dont be a dinosaur. Use the internet.. well, you are by posting here... You might actually enjoy current technology by understanding it.. :clap:
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby zswobbie1 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:06 pm

Hawkeye07 wrote:
Hey zswobbie1!
Let me clarify something here...No, I don't blame the kids. They are simply using the technology that's at hand. The problem is that while they are interacting with the technology they are losing the ability to interact with each other. It's more of a case of use it or lose it just like any other skill set. I think the current technology is amazing in many ways but only up to a point. You explained in your posts how much you use your cell phone. Pretty much for everything right? Lose your phone and then what?
Phone craps out, then what? Battery power used up, then what? Wifi not available, then what? We, as a society, are becoming way too dependent on our technology.

I tried this: "Take a seat & look at your TV, hold your fingers in front of you, apart, on either side of the TV screen, yup, you will find the gap between your fingers is about the size of the phone screen." I have a big screen TV and I am not carrying around a phone that size!! :lol:

I have 6.25' screened phone, & I can sit in the lounge, hold up my phone & it will cover a 38?" screen, no problems there at all, & will ear/headphones, it works well.

Well, with this technology, the kids re communicating a lot more than they ever did, this INCLUDES interacting with each other. They are seeing & talking about things that were only dreamt abuot, a few years ago. The world, & knowledge is at their finger tips.
So, If I loose my phone, I get a new one, log in with my username & password, & everything is installed, within a short time. If I loose power, I have a spare powerbank to keep the phone alive. If the internet dies, we will all be in the same boat. Something that causes that will also affect power as well. If the mains power goes out, I have my phone's wifi to keep me going. If all else fails, we will all be in the same boat anyway.

If I see an accident, I can use my mobile, if our phone lines get cut, same. I can watch Netflix other movies & documentaries on my mobile, & if I want to watch it on a bigger screen, I can send it to my laptop.

I suppose I'm using technology for what it is, & because it is there to be used. My calls to my family & friends, wherever they are in the world, costs the same. I know that I can get hold of them instantaneously, & a7 the touch of a button, have family chatting together.

Anyhow...
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:53 pm

Apart from E-mail, (which nobody uses any more...only me!), my only other method of communication is via Land-line, copper-wire telephone, (which nobody uses any more...only me!)...

...and with no mobile phone or smart-phone... :twisted:...

...I'll tell you what... ;)...

.. For me...the silence is GOLDEN!.... :dance: ...!

Paul.... :D ... :D ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Flacke » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:15 pm

Fozzer and Anthin, you said it all exactly as I would. I use Emails every day and communicate with friends , family etc everywhere. I have ZERO interest the other apps that people use now. If I want to talk to someone I pick up my phone in the house. If I am out I will use my cell phone as necessary.
I hate the so-called smart-phones and what they have done to society. Every day I see Zombies walking around in traffic gazing at phones. People are driving around me in the city and on the highways while fondling their phone illegally. I see families in restaurants sitting motionless while they are texting etc. on their damn phone. Sometimes they are even ignoring the Grandparents that they brought to dine with them while they P--s around on the phone . Its nauseating.
One friend of mine always showed up at Starbucks with a pile of junk like cellphones, I-pads etc. and placed them on the tiny round table such that there was no room for my Coffee and Cake . One day I said that I would prefer if he left all that stuff in his car so that we could actually have an enjoyable conversation without him constantly answering useless phone calls, texts etc and showing me crap on his beloved I-pad. I have a SamSung Tablet that I leave in the car when I am with people and even then I only use it with good reason. He looked shocked and didn't know what to say. I began to simply decline his offers to meet for Coffee until he finally gave up. I have other friends who have better manners that can take his place. OK, I feel better now.
Flacke
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Anthindelahunt » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:07 pm

Well said Flacke.I have seen so many people lost in never never land on their Cells.
They walk straight into you or a wall or a bus.I have a mobility scooter now and when
I don't have a Carer I use it to get to the Super Market etc.

I am constantly run over by people lost on their phones.I would rather be back in the
Britis Columbia forests away from it all.

Anthin. :snooty: :cry:
Anthindelahunt
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:30 am

Anthindelahunt wrote:Well said Flacke.I have seen so many people lost in never never land on their Cells.
They walk straight into you or a wall or a bus.I have a mobility scooter now and when
I don't have a Carer I use it to get to the Super Market etc.

I am constantly run over by people lost on their phones.I would rather be back in the
Britis Columbia forests away from it all.

Anthin. :snooty: :cry:

Well done, Anthin, ...and I trust that you have a nice, shiny Harley-Davidson, air-cooled, vee-twin engine installed in that smart Mobility Scooter of yours!... ;) ...!
Take care, down there in Ozland! (It's getting very cold in Canada, right now, according to my Biker Chums!).
Paul...on two wheels...and no phone... 8-) ...>>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp5lKG ... 9JA/videos
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion