Weird things I do.

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

Weird things I do.

Postby Shane Stachwick » Tue May 02, 2017 12:09 am

For anyone who has seen my posts (visit my profile if you haven't), you know that my tastes and habits with Flight Simulator are a bit unconventional. Some of these may make you go :doh: or :think:, but I hope that at least a few are relatable or understandable.

*I like the default FSX aircraft over addons. The addons that I do have are usually repaints for the default aircraft. The potential aircraft add-ons are so numerous that they make my head spin, and the FSX library is pretty diverse to start with. I don't spend much time in the air in real life, so the realism isn't much of a factor here. I treat my sim more like a game than an actual immersion or training tool.

*I like the old flight sims. My very first one was FS98, and I have a lot of happy memories of trying (and frequently failing) to master the tiny hangar that the sim ships with. It's REALLY hard to play with the keyboard. My next sim was FS2000, which I didn't play much of because it made my computer slow down. Concorde was fun, as long as the scenery wasn't too dense and the graphics were turned down. I didn't get FS2002 until this year, and I guess I shouldn't have been surprised to find it was sort of a hybrid or intermediate step between the features of FS2000 and FS2004, my third sim. It was quite different but still challenging and novel. I must have done a thousand straight-out departures from Kitty Hawk in a Cessna Caravan just to experience the novelty of landing on water. Afterwards I got FSX, but stuck with FS2004 for a short time because it made my computer run like Jabba the Hutt on sleeping pills. I got a new computer for Christmas that year, so performance wasn't an issue going forward. FSX has since become my primary simulator. I got the Acceleration expansion pack when it came out, along with the Steam Edition. I have yet to check out Prepar3D, since it's uber expensive. I never heard good things about Microsoft Flight or Dovetail Flight School, so I skipped those and stuck with Steam. I shied away from X-plane since it has no developmental relation to Microsoft's series, but I may pick it up eventually. I'm super excited for Dovetail's next project. Hopefully it will be a 64-bit game with some new features and unique aircraft. A default trijet would be nice, maybe a 727 or something.

*I play with an XBox 360 controller. Once again, for me this is more of a game than an immersion or training tool.
Shane Stachwick
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Weird things I do.

Postby H » Tue May 02, 2017 7:30 am

OK... I see nothing weird nor particularly humorous in your post... just an average Flight Simmer who, like most of us, is blowin' with the wind...
so, why are we in the humor section, again?

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to General Discussion