What it costs to "fly" with 3 large monitors

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

What it costs to "fly" with 3 large monitors

Postby OldAirmail » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:20 pm

I just bought one of these - Belkin Energy Use Monitor to see what kind of power was being used around the house. A few minor surprises, none too bad.

So, naturally I have to try it on EVERYTHING. Which, of course, means my computer.

And if you check your computer power consumption, naturally, you have to check it while it's doing something power intensive. Like "flying".

All totals rounded off.

Well, what does it costs to "fly" with a fast i7 computer, 32GB of DDR5 RAM, three drives, an AMD RX 480 video card, 3 large monitors, and all the other little stuff?

Just the computer, doing nothing, and with just one monitor costs about $6, per month.

Each additional 23" monitor eats up almost $4 more, per month.

My computer, doing nothing, and with 3 monitors runs about $14-$15.

The same with Prepar3d running on ONLY the center monitor is about $16-17.

The same setup running Prepar3d in full screen mode across ALL THREE monitors, and with an outside view, hits the $26-$27 mark.

Making those numbers make sense.

Those numbers are real, but the power use is computed out to what the cost would be if the equipment were running non-stop for a full 30 days. The device will also extrapolate the cost, if run at that same power demand, for a full year.

This power monitor, and I assume others of it's kind, has a feature that will measure usage over a long time frame to give you a more accurate average, rather that just a steadily changing low to high usage.

Do you "need" one of these things? Not really.
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Re: What it costs to "fly" with 3 large monitors

Postby zeus981 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:14 pm

Got this product a few years ago to check up on power usage around the house.. biggest surprise is how much power consumption you save if you use the energy efficiency mode in the TV / monitor. (but talking in $$ amounts dont mean much as power companies rip people off differently depending on how weak national govts are)
I use a 42" TV as my monitor and by having it on the maximum energy efficiency mode, this product shows that the power usage is just 55% of the zero energy efficiency mode. However, the colours are not as vivid/ bright but I think that makes the FSX display look more realistic. If you have 3 such monitors, that is a sizeable saving over 12 mths.. equivalent to a freeby new add-on product.
zeus981
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Roypcox » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:59 pm

Thanks to you both. very interesting knowledge to have around!!!
Roypcox
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Canuck1955 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:43 pm

zeus981 wrote: (but talking in $$ amounts dont mean much as power companies rip people off differently depending on how weak national govts are)

Never a truer word spoken there. Our $ is comparable to the Albanian Lek in value and the current government an exercise in screwing the population, but that is OK cause liberals think Trudeau to be cute.
Canuck1955
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to General Discussion