VPN

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

VPN

Postby Shadowcaster » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:41 am

Quick question do I need a VPN if so what do I need to know can I just use a browser extension or use one of the external sites that you have to pay for.

Cheers
Rich
All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

Spike Milligan
Shadowcaster
Major
Major

Re: VPN

Postby papituwall » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:28 am

I use Hotspotshield, the basic version is free.

I can not give you a link because Ionly get the spanish version. Search "Hotspotshield" in google in order to see the UK web.
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Postby ozzy72 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:37 pm

What do you need a VPN for?
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Shadowcaster » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:20 am

Thanks for the replies chaps, to be honest I don't know if I need to do this or not. I read this site http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/8-instance ... ldve-been/ and thought I'd ask for other members opinions.

Cheers
Rich

Spike Milligan
Shadowcaster
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:46 am

I read that article, and its obvious to me that you are up to no good, Rich!... :o ... :o ....!

You are eager to ensure that all your Dodgy Internet Activities (DIA) remain invisible to everyone but you.... ;) ... ;) ...!

Paul.... :lol: ... :lol: ... :lol: ...!

P.S.
Social Media:
On my You Tube Motorcycle Channel I have blocked all replies and comments to my Videos, for a quiet, peaceful life, devoid of nastiness!.... :D ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Shadowcaster » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:13 am

Fozzer wrote:I read that article, and its obvious to me that you are up to no good, Rich!... :o ... :o ....!

You are eager to ensure that all your Dodgy Internet Activities (DIA) remain invisible to everyone but you.... ;) ... ;) ...!

Paul.... :lol: ... :lol: ... :lol: ...!

OK OK it's an honest cop gov you get me bang to rights this time :o , cor blimey mate I'll come quietly. :o :o :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers
Rich (failed criminal mastermind) :?

Spike Milligan
Shadowcaster
Major
Major

Postby H » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:52 am

Fozzer wrote:...its obvious to me that you are up to no good...
Shadowcaster wrote:Rich (failed criminal mastermind)
The user name not only indicates the endeavor to operate in the shadows but advertises it... :roll: ;)

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby ozzy72 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:22 pm

Have you considered using TOR (The Onion Router) as a better option for personal security? OK, it will be a bit slower than a normal connection, but unless you're drug dealing or using hitmen it is a good way to stay below most radars on the 'net.
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Shadowcaster » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:50 pm

ozzy72 wrote:Have you considered using TOR (The Onion Router) as a better option for personal security? OK, it will be a bit slower than a normal connection, but unless you're drug dealing or using hitmen it is a good way to stay below most radars on the 'net.

Cheers Mark that looks pretty good :clap: :clap: , as I said I'm still not sure if I need to do this or not :? :? :? :think: :think: :think: .

Cheers
Rich

Spike Milligan
Shadowcaster
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:21 am

The FBI, CIA, ATF, MI5, and the IRS folks have ways of making you talk.... :whistle: ...!

Me?....I just keep my head down.... ;) ...!

Paul.... :lol: ... :lol: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Jetranger » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:53 am

I Just don't even use the Inner'nets ,,, so I'm safe :roll:

staying off the inner'nets is the best thing to do !!!

I remember a time before these nets were ever launched.

Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby ftldave » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:01 am

The free Opera browser has a built-in VPN mode, I believe routing through a fairly robust service based in Toronto. And Opera is a fine, quick browser. That said, only Opera browser activity is encrypted -- none of the other programs on your pc will benefit.

These days, it's not the NSA, FBI, FSB, or State Police that I want to NOT see and record my Internet activities. Far more intrusive are Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, my ISP - AT&T, and all the other corporate entities who want to collect and sell my information without my consent, those who want to control what I see, what I read, what I listen to, and what I buy based on who they think I am via my Internet activities.

I've said for a long time that Orwell had it wrong. Big Brother doesn't wear a government uniform: Big Brother wears a business suit. :shifty:
ftldave
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby SpaceHippy1975 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:25 am

Hey,

I know that there is always a cloud hanging over the issue of VPNs due to piracy etc but I find that I'm happier surfing the web knowing I have some form of privacy & not have some nosey buggers looking over my shoulder taking notes! This especially was the case when I was looking at things on my mobile & adverts for these things started appearing on my main PC & Laptop. :evil:

I use IPVanish - https://www.ipvanish.com - It's payware at £58.30 ($77.99) for a years licence but it's very good at what it does, just switch it on when needed & set it to whatever country you want.

Been using it for a year or so now with no problems & speed issues.

Keith.
Flying: MSFS 2020 & P3D v5 ~ Given up on X-Plane 11
My Rig:
Intel Core i7 - 6700K CPU @ 4.5GHz,
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero Z170 Motherboard,
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 GAMING 11GB GPU,
Patriot Viper 32GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM,
Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ Monitor,
Bose Companion 2 Series III Speakers,
Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S & CH Rudder Pedals.
SpaceHippy1975
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Shadowcaster » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:39 am

Thanks for the replies chaps, I've been using Opera mainly for watching news videos from other countries that can't usually be viewed in the UK.

Cheers
Rich

Spike Milligan
Shadowcaster
Major
Major

Postby Flacke » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:32 pm

I have been using the OPERA browser as my default browser and I love its free VPN feature.
I turn it on or off as I wish. When I plan a search session that will take me to many unknown websites etc. I make sure that the VPN is on and it shows a totally false IP Address for me that originates in another country!

I also love the way OPERA handles " Bookmark favorites" with the "SpeedDial" panels on the Desktop. FYI.
Flacke
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Next

Return to General Discussion